Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Elena "Babydoll" Reid - Future Star Of Women's MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,320-1,389
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
As one of the fastest rising prospects in mixed martial arts, former WIBA and IFBA Women's Flyweight Boxing Champion Elena "Babydoll" Reid is seen by many as the future of the sport. She talks with MMARising.com about her career to date.

There are very few mixed martial artists who are touted as the future of an entire division after just two fights. Reid is one of those few. Following her 53-second televised destruction of Stephanie Palmer in October of 2008, Reid was hailed by many within the MMA media as a future star. Already a two-time world champion in boxing, and one of the best female boxers in the world, there are few if any challengers in MMA who can compete with Reid's striking.

Now 3-0-0 and having already engaged in one of the most action-packed women's bouts of 2009 when she defeated Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson in April, Reid will look to add MMA gold to her collection when she meets Japanese veteran Masako Yoshida in a title fight at an Extreme Beatdown event on October 24th.

Link

Post #1   9/22/09 1:21:52PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Elena is a really good person. I've talked to her and trained with her on numerous occasions.

She's got great hands and she's not afraid to bang in the pocket. Unfortunately she's a bit small so she wouldn't stack up too well against the Cyborgs or Gina Caranos of the world, but she's definitely got legitimate skills.

Post #2   9/22/09 2:53:28PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Elena is a really good person. I've talked to her and trained with her on numerous occasions.

She's got great hands and she's not afraid to bang in the pocket. Unfortunately she's a bit small so she wouldn't stack up too well against the Cyborgs or Gina Caranos of the world, but she's definitely got legitimate skills.

I was about to say her fist looks extremely small in that picture. Sucks that womens division is pretty much one weight class.

Post #3   9/22/09 2:57:45PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by Sinister

Posted by Jackelope

I was about to say her fist looks extremely small in that picture. Sucks that womens division is pretty much one weight class.

Well its that or amazon women

Post #4   9/22/09 3:15:25PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Sinister

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah it does suck. Elena is a great representative for the sport though if Strikeforce intends to push a lighter women's division. Personally I think it would work out better for Strikeforce if they pushed the lighter women's division. The fights are more exciting and there's actually quite a talent pool of female fighters in that range.

Not to mention the < 135lb. male fighters out there. Supposedly WEC has been making a move towards showcasing lighter weight fighters, but that's been going on for a long time now. If they don't get on the ball that is something Strikeforce should do. There are a ton of talented 125 lb. fighters, and I guarantee you that fans would have their mind blown by the speed of these guys and the wrestling techniques that tiny little powerhouses can pull off. 125 lb. weight class is like a bunch of Jose Aldos flying around. Literally. Fans who haven't seen a 125 lb. fight should really check a couple out. These guys are amazing and the cardio is NUTS.

Post #5   9/22/09 4:16:14PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,549-1,359
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

How do you think she would do against the smaller Top women of mma like Fuji or Sinashi?

Last edited 9/22/09 4:53PM server time by hotrodttt
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   9/22/09 4:50:38PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think this again helps push the case for both the above mentioned ideas that have been floating around and not yet capitalized upon. The Womens MMA needs at least 4 weight classes IMO(145, 135, 125, 115). Males should at least get a chance to show what the 125 lbs div has to offer.

Post #7   9/22/09 11:27:24PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Sinister

It isn't. The Flyweight (115 lbs) division is pretty stacked. She'd have to go to Japan for the "big leagues" though. SmackGirl, DEEP, Shooto. That's the deep water.

Posted by hotrodttt

How do you think she would do against the smaller Top women of mma like Fuji or Sinashi?

Fujii and Shinashi are high targets to aim for. That's like asking how Todd Duffee would do against Fedor, now that he's defeated Tim Hague. The Japanese also lean heavily towards submission grappling. Fujii and Shinashi have 38 submission wins between them. Shinashi is a world-class judoka, and Fujii routinely takes her sambo to the ADCC championships. Shinashi is also a 100-lb fighter, come to think. "Baby Doll" would look big next to her. What's the 100-lb division called, anyway? The "Paperweight" division?

Last edited 9/23/09 12:08PM server time by AchillesHeel

Post #8   9/23/09 11:56:43AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

The Womens MMA needs at least 4 weight classes IMO(145, 135, 125, 115).

And it has them. SmackGirl has Flyweight (under 48 kg/106 lbs), Lightweight (52 kg/115 lbs), and Middleweight (58 kg/128 lbs) divisions (they also do open-weight matches, but that isn't really a weight class). DEEP has Flyweight and Lightweight. HooknShoot had a 125-lb division, although I'm not sure that promotion is still operating. Strikeforce has their Featherweight champion now, and I think they're trying to establish a Bantamweight division too, which I think is the best division in the US right now (Tara Larosa and Sara Kaufmann, your table is ready).

Last edited 9/23/09 12:09PM server time by AchillesHeel

Post #9   9/23/09 12:07:35PM