Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

McCarthy not reffing in Vegas anytime soon

Print  
Posted By Message

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
Veteran referee “Big” John McCarthy has not been issued a license to officiate events in Nevada after applying with the state’s athletic commission earlier this month.

In a mailed letter from Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, McCarthy, who submitted his application Sept. 10, was informed that the state “[does] not anticipate adding any additional referees at this time. We will place your application in the pending file in case the situation changes.”

McCarthy, who has refereed nearly 600 MMA events worldwide since UFC 2 in November 1993 to March 2004, would seem a welcome addition to any commission staff, but the iconic referee said he applied with no expectations.

“I don’t look at it like that. A license to referee or judge with an athletic commission -- it’s not a right,” he said. “It’s a privilege. Everyone kept bringing up the fact that I wasn’t licensed in Nevada, so I said, ‘Alright, I’ll apply.’”

This does not seem odd of the NSAC for some reason.CLICKY

Post #1   9/22/09 5:53:29AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Kizer can politisize his answer all he wants, but the fact of the matter is BJM spoke ill of him and his commission very openly upon leaving and that's what is keeping him from reffing in Nevada. For as much of a nice guy as Dana's been lately you wander if any of that could change after the California show.

I see it going one of two ways:

Either BJM refs the Cali show (cause Dana and Co say he can... Don't fool yourself, the decision will be up to them) Everyone gets along and it's like the good ol' days again.

BJM is blocked by Dana and Co from working the Cali show and the troubles continue.

If things go well for Big John in California and he reconciles with the powers that be at ZUFFA they will have enough pull to get him back on the roster in Nevada. Big John isn't without his troublesome decision, no ref is perfect. But we've had such a rash of questionable reffing lately that he's at minimum a step in the right direction.

Post #2   9/22/09 6:33:12AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Dana And Co. have virtually no say in if Big John works the show or not. The Athletic Commissions-not promotions-say who referees which fight, so it's the CSAC's call.

Post #3   9/22/09 7:07:58AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,275-1,280
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Forget reffing, maybe he should be judging, anything that gets us less Split Decisions would be a blessing.

Post #4   9/22/09 9:06:16AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
you have no plans to get better referees than dan miragliotta? OK good work, keith. I guess you know as little about reffing and judging as most of the refs and judges do if you think the status quo is acceptable.

Let's not hire one of the best and most knowledgeable referees on the planet when we can have questionable stoppages and split decisions multiple times EVERY SINGLE EVENT.

Wake up.

Post #5   9/22/09 10:22:00AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Dana And Co. have virtually no say in if Big John works the show or not. The Athletic Commissions-not promotions-say who referees which fight, so it's the CSAC's call.

Yes, the AC's have the ultimate say who refs fights, but to think that the UFC has zero influence is a bit naive.

Post #6   9/22/09 10:57:30AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
I think its no coincidence that NVSAC and Dana White seem to be on the same page with their black balling of BJM. I dont think him not getting approved by NV had much to do with what he said about the commission. I think it has more to do with his connections to Couture during his his out from the UFC and BJM working for rival promotions while quitting the UFC. Dana has a lot of invluence in NVSAC. Lorenzo was a former chairmen and as was Marc Ratner who is now working as VP for the UFC. Kiser knows what the UFC brings to Vegas not to mention any possible personal relationships. Dana has plenty of chances to get BJM on the octagon outside of Vegas and he wont because he has a grudge. Plain and Simple. It appears he is using his powers to keep BJM out of Vegas.

Post #7   9/22/09 2:44:28PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Aether

you have no plans to get better referees than dan miragliotta? OK good work, keith. I guess you know as little about reffing and judging as most of the refs and judges do if you think the status quo is acceptable.

Let's not hire one of the best and most knowledgeable referees on the planet when we can have questionable stoppages and split decisions multiple times EVERY SINGLE EVENT.

Wake up.

Yep, and meanwhile guys like Steve Steinbeiss will continue to get screwed by the Miragliottas of the world. Keep it up, NSAC

Post #8   9/22/09 2:51:40PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DCRage

Yes, the AC's have the ultimate say who refs fights, but to think that the UFC has zero influence is a bit naive.

Exactly what I was getting at.. But alas- the is much love to be spread.

Post #9   9/22/09 5:40:16PM