Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC's Lightweight Division Becoming an Attractive Option for Intriguing Battles

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
The UFC's lightweight division may be able to exclude itself from being a "stale" division after all. On Wednesday night, Gray Maynard defeated exiting UFC fighter Roger Huerta via decision to move himself into talk that he may be given a shot at the title in the near future. Three days later, his teammate, Tyson Griffin, finished an out-of-shape and reluctant Hermes Franca in the second round of their tilt at UFC 103, further igniting thoughts that Griffin may also be in the mix at the top of the lightweight division. While the welterweight division is struggling to find a viable contender and the middleweight division seems to be at a standstill due to Silva's injury and impassiveness, the lightweight division may become an attractive option for intriguing match-ups for Joe Silva and Dana White.

Link

Post #1   9/21/09 12:52:49PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
"Becoming" and attractive option ?
I've always thought that the 155ers put on great battles....

Post #2   9/21/09 1:11:27PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

"Becoming" and attractive option ?
I've always thought that the 155ers put on great battles....

im with you on that man, its been a great division since they brought it back and its really talent laden.

Post #3   9/21/09 1:16:20PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Chips:
Anyone who thinks that the UFC LW Div is boring or stale isn't really a MMA fan at all IMO....just people who want to see the LHWs KO each other at the cyclic rate... people with low attentions spans and spoiled by the industry's ability to show highlight reel KOs almost every event. The LWs are full of surprises and excitement every time I watch, I am rarely dissappointed!

Post #4   9/21/09 2:23:38PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
The days of weaker ufc divisions is a thing of the past. With the mw and hw divisions stronger than ever, and the lws being back in full swing. The ufcs only worries should be matchups, because they have all the talent in the world, and joe silva needs to configure a lot of key contender matchups, and title fights.

Post #5   9/21/09 2:35:37PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Anyone who thinks that the UFC LW Div is boring or stale isn't really a MMA fan at all IMO....just people who want to see the LHWs KO each other at the cyclic rate... people with low attentions spans and spoiled by the industry's ability to show highlight reel KOs almost every event. The LWs are full of surprises and excitement every time I watch, I am rarely dissappointed!

Its not that the lw division is or was a weak one, it was the lack of championship quality fighters. Maynard is a great fighter but still has a way to go, Tyson will be champ someday, just not now, sherk is just like joe daddy at the moment, being the fighter to beat to be a top tier lw. In the lhw, mw, ww, and somewhat even hw, u have about 3 to 5 fighter in each division that can be champ. In lw I only see BJ, and noone else.

Post #6   9/21/09 2:43:59PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:
Really! You don't see anyone else who could beat BJ....after all the problems he has has with powerful wrestlers...I know they were WWs but it is a trend in his fighting. One of these big, strong, wrestling LWs are going to put BJ on the mat and GNP stop him soon IMO. Within his next couple of fights I'd bet.

Post #7   9/21/09 6:52:31PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Really! You don't see anyone else who could beat BJ....after all the problems he has has with powerful wrestlers...I know they were WWs but it is a trend in his fighting. One of these big, strong, wrestling LWs are going to put BJ on the mat and GNP stop him soon IMO. Within his next couple of fights I'd bet.

This could be the case but no one is like GSP plus BJ walked right through sherk and joe daddy

Post #8   9/21/09 7:18:52PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Chips:
Wait a second, I never said bj will be champ forever, I just said he was the only championship quality fighter. What makes a championship type fighter they must be versitile. BJ has standup, tdd, and bjj. Tyson is evolving his standup, but is a straight forward type of fighter like sherk, and maynard has little to no standup skills, but he has powerful punches. His footwork is very off, his stance is bad, his headmovement is similar to cabbage coreira. All these lw wrestlers are great, but show big flaws in certain aspects of mma. Look at all the other champs, and you see a trend with the exception of the physical freak lesnar. You have fighters that are both dangerous standing and on the ground. And the lw contenders are missing that quality.

Post #9   9/21/09 7:54:46PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I think Lesnar will hold his title longer than Penn.

Post #10   9/22/09 2:56:23AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

Wait a second, I never said bj will be champ forever, I just said he was the only championship quality fighter. What makes a championship type fighter they must be versitile. BJ has standup, tdd, and bjj. Tyson is evolving his standup, but is a straight forward type of fighter like sherk, and maynard has little to no standup skills, but he has powerful punches. His footwork is very off, his stance is bad, his headmovement is similar to cabbage coreira. All these lw wrestlers are great, but show big flaws in certain aspects of mma. Look at all the other champs, and you see a trend with the exception of the physical freak lesnar. You have fighters that are both dangerous standing and on the ground. And the lw contenders are missing that quality.

I understand and see your points, but BJ has been so inconsistant in the past that I am not completely sold on him yet. I do see him as extremely versatile though and your right a lot of LW fighter's aren't as much as BJ is. I just think that the past has an odd way of repeating itself and BJ is soon going to underestimate one of these guys and end up undertraining. When / if that happens he will end up in a hurt locker.

Post #11   9/22/09 3:34:12PM