Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Guitar Solo?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hcazlekker

Banned

Career:34-26
Chips:
For the commitment required, you cannot beat the guitar practice to pussy ratio.

Steve Vai performed both parts.
Crossroads Duel

This kid is amusing... He gets more than you.
Canon in D

Last edited 4/7/07 10:59PM server time by hcazlekker
Edit note/reason: whatevah

Post #1   4/7/07 10:58:28PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by hcazlekker

For the commitment required, you cannot beat the guitar practice to pussy ratio.

Steve Vai performed both parts.
Crossroads Duel

This kid is amusing... He gets more than you.
Canon in D

Steve Vai's "Eugenese Trick bag" is a good song, not really that hard to play though.

As for that Canon in D, look up the original revised arrangement by Jerry C, he is much better. That Funtwo guy just slops through it.

For sheer musicality and technical ability though, it doesnt get better than Shawn Lane. He could play faster than Rusty Cooley and Francesco Farreri, and was an amazing composer and arranger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Bb67nem4U

Here he is playing Jonas Hellborg's "Serpents and Pigs", unfortunately Jonas isnt out there playing it, but Lane shows off some devastating chops.

Here he is playing the end of Jonas Hellborgs "Rice with the Angels" and seguing it into Hellborg's "Abstract logic". Very spiritual, Hellborg's music has a strong indian classical element to it, and for sheer complexity, depth and spirituality, you cannot possibly top Carnatic and Qawaali music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqRENuuLrs ]

Last edited 4/8/07 8:44AM server time by Mastodon2
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   4/8/07 8:42:39AM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Chips:
Wow, Shawn Lane's skill is amazing. How did he pass? I can't find anything on it.

I would be content with having Funtwo guy's skill, LOL. I tried to get into the guitar a while back, but my fingers are just too fat to play. I practice bass now, haha.

Last edited 4/8/07 8:50PM server time by hcazlekker
Edit note/reason: apostrophe

Post #3   4/8/07 12:25:00PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
Lets not make the mistake of thinking that bass is the easy option though

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgWAwQaWosE

Mark King, bassist from English Band Level 42 showing the top limits of his slapping skill. In terms of slap, he is probably the most proficent bassist in the world atm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jw6oOXuq10

That is Jeff Berlin, showing the groove. Pretty awesome rendition of Clapton's tears in Heaven

If you like Shawn Lane, defintely check out John Mclaughlin, and Jonas Hellborg. Hellborg is a force of nature on his bass.

Last edited 4/8/07 12:43PM server time by Mastodon2

Post #4   4/8/07 12:39:08PM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Nah, I wouldn't think that way. I have a physical limitation (big hands/fingers). The bass suits me better.

Are you going to college? Art major? Your knowledge is impressive. And you sell those guys pretty well. I hadn't heard of Shawn Lane before today.

I should have gone to college under art, I still could go actually, haha. I played in the concert/marching band during highschool. My hair still stands on end when I hear the drum line blasting from my HS stadium.

Last edited 4/8/07 8:53PM server time by hcazlekker
Edit note/reason: crappy syntax

Post #5   4/8/07 8:38:51PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hcazlekker

Posted by Mastodon2

Nah, I wouldn't think that way. I have a physical limitation (big hands/fingers). The bass suits me better.

Are you going to college? Art major? Your knowledge is impressive. And you sell those guys pretty well. I hadn't heard of Shawn Lane before today.

I should have gone to college under art, I still could go actually, haha. I played in the concert/marching band during highschool. My hair still stands on end when I hear the drum line blasting from my HS stadium.

No Im in England, so its University over here, and Im not studying music, Im starting in September on Biology, Physiology, Biology and Forensics or Zoology. I havnt decided which yet.

Ive been playing guitar since I was 14, and now Im 18. Ive always wanted to push myself as a player and a listener, so I began listening to and imitating the more technically gifted musicians, but then I got bored of playing simple music at high speeds, stopped playing metal and started playing Jazz, and thats where I got into guys like Shawn Lane, John Mclaughlin, Alan Holdsworth etc.

Post #6   4/9/07 3:41:34AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
I'm more of an acoustic guitar kind of guy.

Ocean

Post #7   4/9/07 9:07:47AM   

hcazlekker

Banned

Chips:
Wow.

John Butler was playing like three parts at the same time with his twelve string.

Its a shame people this skilled don't get more attention. I guess it better suits their particular genius though.

Post #8   4/9/07 2:28:05PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stickan

I'm more of an acoustic guitar kind of guy.

Ocean

Ocean is a fantastic song, the live in Sydney video of it is by far his best performance of the piece. Unfortunately the rest of his material is sporadic and lacklustre, which is probably why he has never became a massive name on the acoustic circuit.

Post #9   4/9/07 2:45:02PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I point you all to my avatar...

Wait before you bash me, I know music too, I have played the drums for a very long time.

I understand Slash can be sloppy and such and is not all that technical, but he has that always debated "soul" to his solos and music. I mean I cant find any song by Satriani or Malmsteen or any of those technical shredders that make me rock out like "Mr. Brownstone" does, what a riff.

Got to love Slash

Post #10   4/9/07 6:54:10PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
I agree Malmsteem is all about speed, but if you think that Satriani is a "Shredder" then you are way off the mark.

Post #11   4/10/07 7:00:00AM   

deadcore

MMA Regular

deadcore Avatar

Career:69-52
Camp: FSC Fight Club
Chips:
i'll take Eddie Van Halen doing Eruption as the best solo of all time.

Post #12   4/10/07 11:53:59AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
Seriously?

You do know that it was just recorded by the producer when he heard Eddie Wanking about, and hit record right? Its a total show off piece, there is no emotion in it at all, and it even fails as a show off piece because Eddie doesnt even do anything impressive.

Post #13   4/10/07 1:33:45PM   

We_Todd_Did

Standup Guy

We_Todd_Did Avatar

Career:205-129
Chips:

Posted by hcazlekker

Go with what makes ya comfortable, but I just wanted to put this up in response to your calling big hands a limitation on guitar.

Zakk Wylde

His hands are absolutely massive.He also does some crazy stuff on acoustic, but I can't find any of it right now.

p.s.-sorry if it gets a little out of sync

p.p.s.-found some acoustic

Zakk Wylde Acoustic Madness

Last edited 4/10/07 4:59PM server time by We_Todd_Did

Post #14   4/10/07 4:44:46PM   

johnafirth

MMA Regular

johnafirth Avatar

Career:891-553
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips: