Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Floyd Mayweather defeats Juan Manuel Marquez — and nearly puts Dana White to sleep

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
You have to respect Mayweather as a phenominal athlete, but he's everything wrong with boxing, as a business and as a sport. His defensive style is so anti-combat that I'd put any C-level fighter over him, as the second you can hit a kidney or leg, he'd be reduced to nothing. Business wise, we all know what it is. A money grab.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #16   9/21/09 3:21:40PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Well I agree Floyd is a great boxer but this fight was a joke. Floyd didn't even bother to make weight. To top that off Marquez was fighting two weight class above him. The size difference in this fight was easy to see. If you consider yourself the greatest than you don't hand pick your fights against smaller fighters. Dana was right it was a boring fight that everyone knew the outcome and Floyd is just trying to make money without any true risk. I'm sorry I love boxing but Floyd is one of the things that is wrong with boxing today. Its guys like him and his old promoter Bob Arum that have turned boxing in to the joke it is today. Boxing isn't about the best fighting the best anymore and hasn't been for years. The ranking system is so easily manipulated it isn't even funny.

While I agree with some of your points there are guys in MMA that don't make weight offten. Hand picking well everyones favorite son Anderson Silva is doing the same thing. True he isn't picking smaller fighters. You reach the top of a sport and thats what happens. The only guy he hasn't fought is Pacman and if Manny gets passed Cotto I'm sure we will see it. I think that he might be ducking fights but as much as we all want it to be a sport to everyone its not its a job its a business its the way he pays the bills (or IRS) he did what he had to to get where he is.

I can't belive I am defending this guy he is one of my least favorite fighters but you have to see his side too.

Post #17   9/21/09 6:19:04PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by telnights

Well I agree Floyd is a great boxer but this fight was a joke. Floyd didn't even bother to make weight. To top that off Marquez was fighting two weight class above him. The size difference in this fight was easy to see. If you consider yourself the greatest than you don't hand pick your fights against smaller fighters. Dana was right it was a boring fight that everyone knew the outcome and Floyd is just trying to make money without any true risk. I'm sorry I love boxing but Floyd is one of the things that is wrong with boxing today. Its guys like him and his old promoter Bob Arum that have turned boxing in to the joke it is today. Boxing isn't about the best fighting the best anymore and hasn't been for years. The ranking system is so easily manipulated it isn't even funny.

While I agree with some of your points there are guys in MMA that don't make weight offten. Hand picking well everyones favorite son Anderson Silva is doing the same thing. True he isn't picking smaller fighters. You reach the top of a sport and thats what happens. The only guy he hasn't fought is Pacman and if Manny gets passed Cotto I'm sure we will see it. I think that he might be ducking fights but as much as we all want it to be a sport to everyone its not its a job its a business its the way he pays the bills (or IRS) he did what he had to to get where he is.

I can't belive I am defending this guy he is one of my least favorite fighters but you have to see his side too.

Yes some times fighters in MMA don't make weight. But when your the main event and you have hand picked a fighter already smaller than you and said fighter is fighting you two weight class above what he should be fighting at makes the fight a joke. This means Mayweather could have cared less and was just in it for a pay check. Why should fans of boxing care about this fight when Mayweather doesn't care himself. It was clear he was there fighting a fight he knew he couldn't loss just for a pay check. Also if you read my post again you will see that I said you don't hand pick opponents smaller than you. If your really wanting a challenge then you fight in a higher weight class and fighters bigger than you.

I agree its a business and that's the hole problem with Mayweather and boxing. Its a sport with lot of its top fighters treating it just as a business and nothing more. Why should fans help line his pockets when he isn't fighting the fights fans want to see and hand picking fighters he knows full well he can beat.

Post #18   9/22/09 3:28:04PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
in fairness he did make weight for the fight as far as the weight class goes, but the fighters had an agreement to come in on the low end that could be penalized by loss of money to the other fighter if they failed to do so. its similar to what franca and griffin just did, except that this was agreed upon when they inked the deal and not because floyd couldnt make weight a few days out. either way, hes a great boxer, but not a great fighter and theres a difference, and i wont pay to see him because of that.

Last edited 9/22/09 3:39PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   9/22/09 3:39:00PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

in fairness he did make weight for the fight as far as the weight class goes, but the fighters had an agreement to come in on the low end that could be penalized by loss of money to the other fighter if they failed to do so. its similar to what franca and griffin just did, except that this was agreed upon when they inked the deal and not because floyd couldnt make weight a few days out. either way, hes a great boxer, but not a great fighter and theres a difference, and i wont pay to see him because of that.

I will just say this about the weight. READ THIS. The contract was changed at the last min.

Post #20   9/22/09 3:56:55PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
ok thats news to me, i hadnt seen much else other than the initial press release which didnt include the details about the lateness of the contract being turned in. apparently PBFs people did a good job of making it seem like it was a WW fight all along with special stipulations and this came out after the fight had taken place. nice job of damage control, i was certainly fooled and im glad you filled me in on that so i can respect PBF even less now, which isnt easy to do

Post #21   9/22/09 4:12:56PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2