Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Daley unconcerned with next opponent, but White says it could be Swick

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link

The 26-year-old "Semtex" has bounced around from organization to organization in recent years, but Affliction's demise as a fight promotion led Daley to the UFC.An injury to Mike Swick led Daley to Saturday's UFC 103 main card, and his explosive hands led to a win over Martin Kampmann and some high praise from his boss."This kid put himself on the map tonight," UFC president Dana White said of Daley at the post-event press conference. "I love guys that step up on short notice because it's an opportunity. He took the opportunity and made it happen."Daley was originally scheduled to fight on the evening's preliminary card against Brian Foster. But when Swick's mishap led to an opportunity for a promotion, Daley jumped at the chance.The Brit said it's the type of move fans can continue to expect from him in the future.

Post #1   9/20/09 3:14:24PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,413-1,434
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
With a win over Swick I think Daley deserves a title shot. He was on fire last night and awesome debut.

Post #2   9/20/09 3:18:31PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:
I don't think Swick should be fighting for #1 contendar spot, but so what. I'd really like to see Daley fight Alves....that would be a stand up war for sure!

Post #3   9/20/09 3:28:07PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I don't think Swick should be fighting for #1 contendar spot, but so what. I'd really like to see Daley fight Alves....that would be a stand up war for sure!

I was thinking the exact same thing.......Daley vs Alves would be brutal.......Although i like Swick vs Daley as well........

Post #4   9/20/09 3:54:36PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

This is what I thought a few minutes after the fight. It's an interesting matchup between two big, tough strikers with different styles. Daley would have to contend with Thiago's leg kicks and possible takedowns/jiu-jitsu, while Thiago would be faced with a fast, accurate, hard-hitting boxer with decent takedown defense. If Thiago maintains a high work ethic I'd give him the edge in cardio based solely on prior evidence.

The safe money is probably on Thiago, but Daley looked very impressive last night. Either way I think it would be a wonderful fight, certainly more entertaining imo than Daley vs. Fitch.

Beyond that, man, I love Kampmann but he really has to make some adjustments. He's got a good chin, but we've seen it's not the best idea ever to turtle up against strong punchers like Daley and Marquardt (and even McFedries). If Kampmann learns from Randy Couture and works on his head movement I think he'll be able to hang a lot better on the feet. He's tough enough to take a few that manage to get through, and if he's evading most of his opponent's shots he'll have more opportunities for counters. And from there homeboy should work on his takedowns. His ground game is good enough to give problems to a guy like Daley if he can just get him down on the mat first.

Last edited 9/20/09 4:00PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/20/09 3:59:04PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by isk

Posted by jae_1833

This is what I thought a few minutes after the fight. It's an interesting matchup between two big, tough strikers with different styles. Daley would have to contend with Thiago's leg kicks and possible takedowns/jiu-jitsu, while Thiago would be faced with a fast, accurate, hard-hitting boxer with decent takedown defense. If Thiago maintains a high work ethic I'd give him the edge in cardio based solely on prior evidence.

The safe money is probably on Thiago, but Daley looked very impressive last night. Either way I think it would be a wonderful fight, certainly more entertaining imo than Daley vs. Fitch.

Beyond that, man, I love Kampmann but he really has to make some adjustments. He's got a good chin, but we've seen it's not the best idea ever to turtle up against strong punchers like Daley and Marquardt (and even McFedries). If Kampmann learns from Randy Couture and works on his head movement I think he'll be able to hang a lot better on the feet. He's tough enough to take a few that manage to get through, and if he's evading most of his opponent's shots he'll have more opportunities for counters. And from there homeboy should work on his takedowns. His ground game is good enough to give problems to a guy like Daley if he can just get him down on the mat first.

All good points except Daley has mean kicks too, he is not just a boxer.

Post #6   9/20/09 4:43:42PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

that would be a great fight, Alves may be the only guy at ww with an advantage standing and he may not have an advantage at all. I think swick is a good fight, he is a stronger wrestler than kampmann and just as good standing, maybe he will actually attempt to take the fight to the ground instead of going toe to toe with a guy like semtex, which kampmann found out was a pretty bad idea.

Post #7   9/20/09 6:40:31PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Question is if daley was to beat swick, is he the number one contender??
And now who is gonna fight gsp?? I was very impressed with daley

Post #8   9/20/09 8:34:11PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Question is if daley was to beat swick, is he the number one contender??
And now who is gonna fight gsp?? I was very impressed with daley

That's why he shouldn't fight Swick. Although I would really like to see it. Not sure what to do with Daley. All I know is I want to see gsp fight sometime relatively soon

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #9   9/20/09 9:25:24PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Yea I think Daley is my pick for best striker at 170 and I've been saying that be4 he fought Kampmann. Dude is explosive the only problem is his takedown defense in such a stacked division of wreslers is what stinks for him but at least he knows what to work on.

Dear UFC: forget Bisping you should have thrown your wagon on this British fighter much sooner! He can be the face of the British fight cards and draw even better because he can knock out anyone in his division.

Post #10   9/20/09 9:47:05PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:
There are so many good match ups for Daley that I just don't see Swick being one of them. Johnson, Alves, Kos, Lytle, and Marcus Davis just to start.

Post #11   9/21/09 2:44:01AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,595-1,399
Chips:
Glad he is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Post #12   9/21/09 6:12:33AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I think Swick should get the next title shot like right now, no contender fight, just he's next
and Daley against one of the big 3 Fitch, Alves, Koscheck

Post #13   9/21/09 8:55:52AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

All good points except Daley has mean kicks too, he is not just a boxer.

He might be. I gotta be honest with you, I've only seen Daley fight Kampmann and Shields; all my other info about him has been from secondhand reports. Anyway, saying Daley has good kicks is like saying Thiago has good punches. He does, of course - it's just that Daley has better punches while Thiago has better kicks. Neither one can ignore the other's capabilities in any fashion, they just should come into the fight cognizant of the disparities.

Post #14   9/23/09 12:55:30PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Daley can't wrestle. Alves would just take him down and grind him. He can hit though...that's truth.

Post #15   9/23/09 1:02:41PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2