Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Luis Cane Doesn't Really Want To Fight "Minotoro" Mogueira On 11/21

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by scobac

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by DCRage

Haven't these guys ever heard the old saying "nothing personal, it's just business"?

Well they signed the contract to fight. People can have preferences to who they wanna fight dosnt mean its gonna happen, let the guy have his opinion.

friends fight friends in this sport all of the time and dont complain.

Thats why I said they signed the contract.

According to this article he asked for a different fight and signed only after being told he had absolutely no choice in the matter. Big difference from signing without any argument and saying that you aren't looking forward to fighting your friend (Fedor and Barnett is a good example)

The fact that he tried to turn the fight down and ask for an american fighter in his place is what people are criticizing.

Post #16   9/19/09 5:01:54PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by scobac

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by DCRage

Haven't these guys ever heard the old saying "nothing personal, it's just business"?

Well they signed the contract to fight. People can have preferences to who they wanna fight dosnt mean its gonna happen, let the guy have his opinion.

friends fight friends in this sport all of the time and dont complain.

Thats why I said they signed the contract.

The fact that he tried to turn the fight down and ask for an american fighter in his place is what people are criticizing.

I'm not in disagreement, I just think he should get some slack is all.

Post #17   9/19/09 5:14:31PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
fair enough.

Post #18   9/19/09 5:30:30PM   

JahanJahkesh

Learning to Sprawl

Career:77-49
Chips:
This is stupid on the ufc part, and I dont see how anyone can think its cool to have friends fighting. I dont think teamates and friends should fight, those kind of intimate relationships, need to go against each other. Now if its for a title or there are no other options, that is different.

To those who think Cane is not right, if he where to decline match after match that is one thing, but everyone should get at least one, if not more, fights they can decline. There are other fights he can fight, its the ufc, there are many quality opponents for him to face. Not only is it immoral in my opinion to force a fight like this, this is not golf or even football, this is mma. You also will get a hard to predict, stupid fight. Look at some of the other recent fights where they made these things happen, the fights where shitty. Come one Joe Silva, be a better matchmaker.

Post #19   9/19/09 6:31:57PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
to me this issue has much less to do with friendship than nationality.

He specifically asked for an American. Thats what I have a problem with, not his turning down the fight.

If you don't want to fight your friend thats one thing, but I think its unfair to the UFC and to Joe Silva to ask to fight only Americans.

If an American fighter insisted that he wanted to only fight Asians, he'd be ostracized, whats the difference here?

Post #20   9/19/09 7:06:59PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by JahanJahkesh

This is stupid on the ufc part, and I dont see how anyone can think its cool to have friends fighting. I dont think teamates and friends should fight, those kind of intimate relationships, need to go against each other. Now if its for a title or there are no other options, that is different.

To those who think Cane is not right, if he where to decline match after match that is one thing, but everyone should get at least one, if not more, fights they can decline. There are other fights he can fight, its the ufc, there are many quality opponents for him to face. Not only is it immoral in my opinion to force a fight like this, this is not golf or even football, this is mma. You also will get a hard to predict, stupid fight. Look at some of the other recent fights where they made these things happen, the fights where shitty. Come one Joe Silva, be a better matchmaker.

?? the most uninformed post ive ever read. come on joe silva be a better matchmaker? unprops for you sir

Post #21   9/19/09 7:10:24PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
This is getting to be a real problem. I hear Brazilians say they dont want to fight other Brazilians all the time. People talk about American patriotism all the time yet you dont ever hear someone say they wont fight another american. Yet its happens all the time with Brazilians. Im all for people being patriotic. But when you refuse to fight a countryman you really narrow the field a lot.

Post #22   9/19/09 7:21:56PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,558-1,362
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I wouldn't want to Fight Minotoro if I was Cane either, Nogueira is better at all facets of MMA. And yes, even his stand up is better, he was a Pan American Boxing Champion. But I really hope this Fight goes down, it will be a great introduction for fans unfamiliar with Little Nog.

Post #23   9/19/09 8:18:52PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by BigBadAl

I would ask not to have to fight team mates, friends, relatives, friends of relatives, relatives of team mates, friends of relatives of team mates anyone who could beat me, friends of anyone who could beat me. The list goes on and on and on and.............

and this is why you are not a fighter

Yep

Post #24   9/20/09 5:02:37AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Well i hope that Cane is focused on fighting and not on not wanting to fight a friend. he needs this win to put him in the top of the div at 205. I cant believe that they put Lil Nog in there with such a threat in his debut!?!? but Joe Silva knows what he is doing and it should be a great fight.

Post #25   9/20/09 9:17:06AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
He needs to put his friendship aside and understand that this is the best matchup for him in the UFC. He is the worst of the best. I meen I like rogeiro, but is a top 10 lhw, that would lose to all other top 10 lhw. Banha needs to take this fight as it is, a stepping stone. He will get a chance to fight a top tier american lhw early 2010

Post #26   9/21/09 11:35:42AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2