Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roger Huerta Deserves Break From Fighting and Respect of Fans

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's hard to believe that after last night's split-decision loss to Gray Maynard, fighting could be in the rearview mirror of Roger Huerta's life. Back around the time that the UFC re-emerged into the spotlight of mainstream media, roughly around UFC 66, Huerta became one of the UFC's go-to guys as a front man and fighter. Now, he's likely on the way out.

Because of his decision, Huerta has faced derision and scorn from some fans and insiders, who would like to revise history and say he was never a "real fighter" and was handed opportunities instead of earning them. They say his decision to leave MMA for acting shows that he was never really dedicated to the sport. But the reality is so much deeper.

I had the chance to interview Huerta many times over the years. I had the chance to talk to him about his horrific childhood, his burning desire to be successful and carve out some happiness for himself.

CONTINUED...

Post #1   9/17/09 11:15:08AM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
I never was a fan of Huerta but he earned the wins he got. I know Joe Silva built him up however by making his competition lower at first to help him progress.
Thats why I'm kinda mad at the whole acting thing. UFC helped build him up and he leaves them?

Post #2   9/17/09 11:29:29AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,246-1,208
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm not mad at him. Might as well make a run in acting/modeling now before his face gets all beat up. It's not like he's giving up a belt or next in line for a title shot. He still showed the warriors mentality last night knowing it was his last fight in the UFC. Gotta respect that

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   9/17/09 11:38:37AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Sinister

I never was a fan of Huerta but he earned the wins he got. I know Joe Silva built him up however by making his competition lower at first to help him progress.
Thats why I'm kinda mad at the whole acting thing. UFC helped build him up and he leaves them?

I've never understood why/how people can get mad at a fighter for taking time off to pursue other opportunities. Like it was stated before, he's not in the title hunt right now and he's not a champion. He also waited until he fulfilled his contractual obligations. I see nothing wrong with expanding ones horizons. He's still young...I don't think it's fair for us to be mad at him for dabbling in industries outside of fighting.

Post #4   9/17/09 11:45:54AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
it would have been really easy for him to tap last night and go off to hollywood, but he didnt and he deserves respect for that. every time ive seen him fight he lays it all out there and im thankful he was so entertaining to watch time and time again, theres no reason to be down on the guy for making a living however he wants to.

Post #5   9/17/09 11:50:40AM   

mrhighway9

Learning to Sprawl

mrhighway9 Avatar

Career:47-27
Camp: Grande Cajones Fight Camp
Chips:
and hopefully one day he comes back.if not,well at least he was always entertaining to watch.much respect to him,especially after that kimura he was in

Post #6   9/17/09 12:06:57PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Sinister

I've never understood why/how people can get mad at a fighter for taking time off to pursue other opportunities. Like it was stated before, he's not in the title hunt right now and he's not a champion. He also waited until he fulfilled his contractual obligations. I see nothing wrong with expanding ones horizons. He's still young...I don't think it's fair for us to be mad at him for dabbling in industries outside of fighting.

What I don't understand though is when people get pissed at Joe Silva/ Dana White for supposedly feeding prospect fighters to better guys. People were so mad over the Swick/ Sanders fight but look what happened to the main prospect in the LW division that they marketed like crazy and gave him easier fights for a long while before moving him up.
Its a two sided sword i think. Those who can;t be mad at Huerta, can't go at the UFC over supposedly "one sided" matchups. Huerta has his choice but I hope he remembers what got him this far and eventually comes back sooner than later.

Post #7   9/17/09 1:35:40PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Chips:
What movie thing is he doing?

Post #8   9/17/09 10:43:34PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

What movie thing is he doing?

Ha, I have no idea actually. Thats odd

Post #9   9/17/09 10:55:12PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Chips:
he has a 3 film developmental deal, i cant recall much else from what i heard, but that would tie him up for awhile.

Post #10   9/17/09 11:12:23PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:
Well then, he's out like Cung Le. I hope it works out for them because those small MMA Movies that I have seen have all stunk and hit the charts like a flock of gnats.

Post #11   9/17/09 11:47:21PM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
That was a great read, and it made perfect sense. Huerta gave the UFC and the MMA community all he had for years. The dedication it takes to be a top tier athlete in any sport, much less MMA is unfathomable to anyone who hasn' t done it or been around someone who has. Huerta put it all on the line, time and time again and I respect the hell out of the guy for that. He is one of my favorite fighters and it is because he never gives up, just like against Maynard. If the man chooses to do something else other than fight, he has the right. He deserves the fame he has occurred and now it is time for him to enjoy it and make crap loads of money (doing films or whatever). The guy obviously had a horrible childhood, but prevailed to become an outstanding person. How can you dislike someone like that? Huerta entertained us all and fufulled his obligation to the UFC and it's fans. So get off the guy's back.

Post #12   9/18/09 10:57:24AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:

Almost every one on this sight is saying the same thing....that there is no hate towards Huerta for this.

Post #13   9/18/09 4:16:57PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

he has a 3 film developmental deal, i cant recall much else from what i heard, but that would tie him up for awhile.

I think its with Liongate. Jason Stathum was discovered by them

Post #14   9/18/09 7:12:19PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by kopower
He still showed the warriors mentality last night knowing it was his last fight in the UFC. Gotta respect that [/QUOTE

Could have easily pulled a Starnes

Post #15   9/18/09 7:33:20PM