Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cro Cop

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

u_f_c

Learning to Sprawl

u_f_c Avatar

Career:155-97
Camp: Team UFC
Chips:
Could Cro Cop be the next best thing in UFC? I mean, he took Sanchez like a knife through butter. And the next guy he's fighting is making his debut, the opponent can't feel to good about this fight card. What do u all think?

Post #1   4/7/07 6:29:27PM   

Kisame

MMA Regular

Kisame Avatar

Career:212-160
Chips:
Ill see what he does against napao and couture before i start crowning him as jesus

Post #2   4/7/07 6:34:45PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
He isn't the next big thing for the UFC, he is the biggest thing for the UFC. He is the best striker at HW and may be the best striker in the world. People are drawn to the HW's for some reason and he is the second best in the world at this weight so he will definitely bring the crowd and some great fights. Also, I'm not sure were you heard this is Gonzaga's UFC debut but he has 3 fights in the UFC.

Post #3   4/7/07 6:54:12PM   

BadSanta

Banned

Career:45-27
Chips:
Beware of the CC nuthugging, bro. His is not that great on the ground and he was manhandled by Fedor. I'm confident that he will lose in the Octagon at some point in his six fight contract.

Post #4   4/7/07 9:51:21PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by BadSanta

Beware of the CC nuthugging, bro. His is not that great on the ground and he was manhandled by Fedor. I'm confident that he will lose in the Octagon at some point in his six fight contract.

win or lose you know CC is going to bring an exciting bout. In that retrospect CC is the best thing in the UFC IMO

Post #5   4/7/07 10:23:02PM   

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:
you guys have got to be kidding me.....he is the #2 HW fighter in the world, and one of the biggest draws in history....of course he is the "next big thing" in the UFC.

Post #6   4/8/07 12:50:16AM   

FortySixBelow

MMA Regular

Career:17-17
Chips:
I think i will just put this to you people who may be new to him...

as...he won't say much and neither will i.

I think the fights will speak for themselves...

Post #7   4/8/07 1:48:39AM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by BadSanta

Nobody in the UFC has nearly the skills of Fedor in HW divison
Crocop's ground game is actually preety good now...and who would beat him in that 6fight contract? I see the only threat being Big Nog and even then it would be super hard for him to pull it off (Big Nog that is)

Post #8   4/8/07 2:29:02AM   

BadSanta

Banned

Career:45-27
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

Posted by BadSanta

Crocop's ground game is actually preety good now...and who would beat him in that 6fight contract? I see the only threat being Big Nog and even then it would be super hard for him to pull it off (Big Nog that is)

Is AA still with the UFC? If so, I'm still betting on AA to beat CC.

Post #9   4/8/07 2:30:32AM   

jaba

MMA Regular

jaba Avatar

Career:18-18
Camp: Team Big Guns
Chips:
Cro Cop has knocked out some top guys but fuk with all the upsets nowadays u can never count anyone out.

Post #10   4/8/07 7:19:10AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by BadSanta

Is AA still with the UFC? If so, I'm still betting on AA to beat CC.

Seriously man, I love Andrei (just look at my avatar! ) But I wouldnt Back him against Filipovic.

Post #11   4/8/07 8:26:11AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

Crocop's ground game is actually preety good now...

I agree. Working with Werdum has had a big impact and he already had good TD defense before.

Watch the end of the Sanchez fight. He had a guillotine choke, but gave it up because everyone was looking for the KO and it was his debut.

Post #12   4/8/07 9:00:43AM   

u_f_c

Learning to Sprawl

u_f_c Avatar

Career:155-97
Camp: Team UFC
Chips:
ya sorry, my bad i heard something about his debut, but i was wrong, but still hes in for an asswhooping i think.

Post #13   4/10/07 10:30:33AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Going into a fight, I would say that Couture, Nogueira, and Arlovski each have a chance, but not a good one. They're all better grapplers than Cro Cop, and have decent hands. Arlovski is the biggest of the bunch, and clearly has one-punch power (Buentello). Couture and Nogueira have both hugely improved their striking.

Cro Cop's takedown defense is the obvious key against any of these guys. His last two losses were Decisions to good strikers in fights that stayed on their feet, and his famous loss to Randleman was by a standing punch, not by submission or GnP. The last person to actually beat him on the ground was at Final Conflict 2003 (and it was Nogueira, not incidentally).

In that same span, on the other hand, Cro Cop has defeated several grapplers. Sanchez and Minowa are decent wrestlers, but were simply over-matched and we shouldn't really count them. Josh Barnett lost three times; once was by injury but the other two were decisive. Hidehiko Yoshida was literally kicked into submission. Mark Coleman lasted almost 4 minutes, and Randleman was actually caught in a guillotine choke, Cro Cop's only career win by submission hold (ironic payback for Randleman's surprise KO win).

My expectation is he'll defeat each of the three, but recent history certainly suggests that he could lose to any of them.

Post #14   4/10/07 10:50:41AM   

AdamG

Learning to Sprawl

AdamG Avatar

Career:601-428
Camp: SF Fight Fans
Chips:
CroCop was the UFC's biggest acquisition of the year, until the Zuffa Brothers bought Pride. Now CroCop will be faced with much of his former competition, fighters who never let him wear that belt. Rodrigo Noguiera just signed with the UFC and is now, IMO, the top contender for the heavyweight title. He beat CroCop once, and the rematch will be a great fight, but I think that the cage will work more to Minatoro's advantage more so than to CroCop's. Don't get me wrong, CroCop is one of the best P4P, and I think that the UFC is coddling him way too much with these no name fighters, but Noguiera has more of a compete game than the Croatian. If CroCop mows down good fighters like Arlovski and Sylvia on his way to the title fight, I might have a new opinion.

Post #15   4/10/07 11:58:25AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2