Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Arona Outpoints Eastman at Bitetti Combat 4

Print  
Posted By Message

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
"RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil – Ricardo Arona made a triumphant return to the mixed martial arts scene, as he defeated UFC veteran Marvin Eastman by unanimous decision in the main event at Bitetti Combat Nordeste 4 on Saturday at the Maracanazinho Gymnasium.

Away from the fight game for more than two years, Arona looked rusty, even though he declared himself well-trained in the days leading up to the event. Eastman forced the Pride Fighting Championships veteran to work throughout the three-round bout and used his cage experience to his advantage."

LINK

Post #1   9/13/09 1:17:50PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
It was a good fight. Thought Eastman was going to win up until that last takedown/pass to back.

Eastman is a guy that could easily pad his record up to something similar to Monson's...like 43-15 or something...but he continues to take on nothing but top guys, so he staggers at 16-10....you gotta respect that

Arona looked pretty good actually, a little rusty but good.

Schoenhower had a brain fart, and Filho is just well "insert bannable offensive comment here"

Post #2   9/13/09 5:16:26PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
A Pride Fighter struggling outside of the Pride "bubble"? Thats never happened before. And before everyone has a hissy fit. Yes, not finishing Eastman or atleast a 1 sided decision is struggling when you were arguably the uncrowned champ in Pride and a top 10 ranked guy for about half a decade. Eastman cant even last 1 minute with B level 185 fighters. He was tough in his day but way past him Prime now.

Maybe he was just rusty and will come to the UFC and add to the great possible match ups. But i doubt wether his head is on straight. There was no reason to not fight for 2 years.

Last edited 9/13/09 5:25PM server time by Brain_Smasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   9/13/09 5:16:36PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This time I'm willing to give Arona the benefit of the doubt for not fighting in two years. Anyone would have a bit of ring rust. Hell, look at Rampage vs Eastman. That fight wasn't pretty until Page caught him. Arona's next fight will be the decision maker for me

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   9/13/09 7:54:14PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I completely disagree with you. There is something to be said about you, if you cannot fight for two years then suddenly come back and beat Eastman...it means your good, really good. If he's back for good now, then their is no reason to think he can't be great once the mat rust is gone.

On a side note Eastman is always a tough test when he isn't KO'ed in the first minute.

Post #5   9/13/09 7:55:45PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
Arona still has the sick takedowns/leg kicks and strikes with his chin up . Im surprised eastman shook him off the backin round 3. I thought he did okay for the 2 year layoff .I hope he keeps training with anderson

Last edited 9/13/09 8:03PM server time by andersondasilva

Post #6   9/13/09 8:01:59PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

A Pride Fighter struggling outside of the Pride "bubble"? Thats never happened before. And before everyone has a hissy fit. Yes, not finishing Eastman or atleast a 1 sided decision is struggling when you were arguably the uncrowned champ in Pride and a top 10 ranked guy for about half a decade. Eastman cant even last 1 minute with B level 185 fighters. He was tough in his day but way past him Prime now.

Maybe he was just rusty and will come to the UFC and add to the great possible match ups. But i doubt wether his head is on straight. There was no reason to not fight for 2 years.

Their's so many ways to look at it.

Their are plenty of UFC fighters that struggle outside of the "UFC bubble" as well.

Big Timmy,Don Frye,Pedro Rizzo,Kevin Randleman

But I think organization differences play a small role in that.

However,to be fair i'm not sure under what context you ment your statement in.

Post #7   9/13/09 9:01:10PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Brain_Smasher

Their are plenty of UFC fighters that struggle outside of the "UFC bubble" as well.

Well, in all honesty, I think that Don Frye is the only one that fits into that category. He was the only one that was on top of his game when he left the UFC, but even he took like 4 years off before fighting in Pride. Randleman was 4-3. Rizzo was 3-3 in his last 6 fights before leaving. And as far as Timmy goes, he was a beast while on the juice, but not so impressive without the help. Tim was only 8-6 once he was clean and lost 4 of his last 5.

I'm sure someone could come up with a couple of legitimate examples, but I think Brain Smasher has a fair argument. Pride was supposedly the true proving ground for MMA and some of the most dominant fighters from the most stacked divisions have fizzled out once fighting in the states.

Post #8   9/13/09 11:32:45PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
agree. There are many possible reasons why Prides fighters didnt fair well outside of what i call the "bubble". I put most blame on the lack of developing talent. Fans want to think those fighters are the best because its the same old names they are used to and that name value keeps building even as the fighter himself may decline. If you think about prospects Pride created you realize how few there were. Pride went under in 2007. But the "newest" prospect were guys like Aleks and Sergei who had been there since 2002 and 2003. Pride took rematches to a whole new level because they was noone else coming into the picture. So when you play it by ear a name like Heath Herring sounds much more impressive than a rookie like Shane Carwin or Cain Vasquez. Herring makes a Pride card "Stacked" while the Carwins, Cains, and Duffees make a UFC card full of "Cans". The UFC had an open door policy to find the best fighters. So some of their big name guys like Chuck cant hang anymore while Pride protected their aging fighters from the new breed. Add this to some fighters style not being able to use a cage, some cant fight without roids or less of them. The you have a good idea why Pride fighters dont have much success.

With that said i dont judge a Pride fighter to be a bum just because he fought there. There were some good fighters there and they should be judged by their performance and not labeled just because the other have failed. Thats why i think Fedor needs to fight in the UFC under the same guidelines as everyone else. Let everyone know for sure. Is he a legit top fighter than he was in Pride like Rampaged proved? Or is he a product of the "bubble" like so many others?

Post #9   9/14/09 12:29:52AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Happy side note: Glover Tex won in the 1st Rnd by sub!

Post #10   9/14/09 2:17:46AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Brain_Smasher

Well, in all honesty, I think that Don Frye is the only one that fits into that category. He was the only one that was on top of his game when he left the UFC, but even he took like 4 years off before fighting in Pride. Randleman was 4-3. Rizzo was 3-3 in his last 6 fights before leaving. And as far as Timmy goes, he was a beast while on the juice, but not so impressive without the help. Tim was only 8-6 once he was clean and lost 4 of his last 5.

I'm sure someone could come up with a couple of legitimate examples, but I think Brain Smasher has a fair argument. Pride was supposedly the true proving ground for MMA and some of the most dominant fighters from the most stacked divisions have fizzled out once fighting in the states.

Yes but i'm not sure why Arona was named as a big example.
He went 2-3 in his last 5 PRIDE fights and a lot of fans criticized him for not attempting to finish his fights enough.

The same with Wandy. 2-3 in his last 5 PRIDE fights.

I think mentioning Big Timmy, Rizzo,etc amongst Arona is very fair.You can argue Arona's record in leaving PRIDE was worse than those UFC fighters records you mentioned above.

I think a lot of PRIDE fightes were already fizzling out before they got state side. PRIDE knew how to put on good fights though and the presentation was epic.

Last edited 9/14/09 3:24PM server time by mrsmiley
4 total post edits

Post #11   9/14/09 3:13:16PM