Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

GOUVEIA VS. BELCHER TAPPED FOR UFC 107

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
Middleweights Wilson Gouveia and Alan Belcher are expected to meet at UFC 107, MMAWeekly.com has learned from multiple sources close to the situation. Bout agreements have yet to be signed, but both parties have agreed to the fight and are expected to finalize the deal shortly.

Though not officially announced, UFC 107 is expected to take place Dec. 12 at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn.

Link

Last edited 9/11/09 7:49PM server time by bowen50
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   9/11/09 7:25:42PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Chips:
incredible matchmaking by Joe SIlva yet again. i'm going with Belcher by TKO. i think he has the superior stand up and will be able to stuff Gouveia's takedowns.

Post #2   9/11/09 7:27:27PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
if there are two fighters that i became a fan of this year those two fighters are diego sanchez, cause i met the guy, he was way cool
and alan belcher.

looking forward to this fight, i hope alan ko's him, use the muay thai

Post #3   9/11/09 7:33:03PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
This should be a great fight. Not sure who to pull for. i think both guys have tons of potential and are exciting fighters.

Post #4   9/11/09 7:55:48PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,035-618
Chips:
tough one for Belcher. I bet Gouveia subs him in the 2nd

Post #5   9/11/09 7:56:38PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Belcher is so sloppy, I dont give him the advantage anywhere. Gouveia puts him to sleep with a choke in the 1st.

Post #6   9/11/09 8:00:03PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,108-1,247
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I think Wilson comes in focused, and ends it early.

He hits like a mac truck, and is better on the ground then Alan...just doesn't always come in ready to go, I think.

WG KO rnd 1

Post #7   9/11/09 8:01:28PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Belcher is so sloppy, I dont give him the advantage anywhere. Gouveia puts him to sleep with a choke in the 1st.

How is Belcher sloppy? his muay thai is very good and he has developed some good defense off his back.

Post #8   9/11/09 8:06:08PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by EvenFlow

How is Belcher sloppy? his muay thai is very good and he has developed some good defense off his back.

In terms of striking he keeps his hands down constantly and has terrible footwork, he would be destroyed in a muay thai match with a half decent K-1 kickboxer.

Post #9   9/11/09 8:30:56PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

In terms of striking he keeps his hands down constantly and has terrible footwork, he would be destroyed in a muay thai match with a half decent K-1 kickboxer.

in an mma match maybe he looks that way, but i can tell you that ive seen him train at dukes(who happens to be a multiple time kickboxing champion) and he has the goods when it comes to MT. hes one of the top 3 or 4 guys ive seen there in that dept and thats saying something.

Post #10   9/11/09 8:35:14PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by EvenFlow

i see what you're saying with his hands but i don't see many problems with his footwork. i think his main problem is his cardio. i agree he'd get destroyed in a K-1 match but how many guys in the UFC wouldn't?

Post #11   9/11/09 8:38:42PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by EvenFlow

in an mma match maybe he looks that way, but i can tell you that ive seen him train at dukes(who happens to be a multiple time kickboxing champion) and he has the goods when it comes to MT. hes one of the top 3 or 4 guys ive seen there in that dept and thats saying something.

Yeah he may look awesome in training but hes unable to put it together in the cage consistently, he could easily be cut right now had Herman gotten the decision like he was supposed to or if Kalib didnt get such a bad cut on his head in a fight he was dominating.

Post #12   9/11/09 8:43:25PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:
i was only speaking on his MT, and let me also add that against top k-1 guys yeah hed get torn apart. i do think he could hang with the middle of the road k-1 fighters though, ive seen some very good kickboxers firsthand in training(world and national/north american champions) and he looks every bit as good as most of them. now when you break down his MT in an mma match, its not going to look k-1 quality because of the factors that you, of course, already know about like worrying about the TD, etc. i can assure you though, that hes very good in that area, he just is young and a bit inexperienced so he gets a bit out of control at times like most young fighters do, sometimes moreso, in fact the mental part of the game is his achilles heel at this point. i think hes on his way to being a good fighter though, he has a lot of the tools in place and is learning all the time, but with that said im definitely leaning towards wilson in this one, hes farther along as a fighter at this point.

and CC could have beaten gonzaga if he didnt get his head kicked in, and randy could have beaten lesnar if he didnt eat that punch....there really isnt room in mma for couldas

Last edited 9/11/09 8:51PM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   9/11/09 8:49:43PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:
You're right no excuses, my bad I'm not trying to make Belcher sound bad. I just think the key to being a great fighter is not only skill but to be able to put it together in every fight. Gouveia has the same problem actually, hes highly spoken and has a lot of potential like Alan but at times shows holes and a tendency to stray from the gameplan, if I remember right Clementi was yelling at Alan the entire Herman fight for not following directions.

Post #14   9/11/09 9:02:53PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:
no prob, no offense taken man, thats what makes a guy like randy so great is that mentally hes very sharp and focused and both of the guys in this fight seem to lack that from time to time. i personally see a lot in gouveia, he seems to be a complete fighter physically, but he just loses inexplicably sometimes and that worries me about picking him sometimes. and like i said before, alan is a very gifted stand up fighter and a sponge in the gym as shown by his sub win over a much better ground fighter in kang, but he needs to get older and with that wiser and hes going to be relevant for a little while in this game. i hear exactly what youre saying, and yeah rich and duke werent very happy with him that fight, but hopefully he learns something from it.

Post #15   9/11/09 9:07:58PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2