Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kimbo: I come in to knock them out or get knocked out, win or lose

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Infamous street fighter turned mixed martial artist Kimbo Slice talked exclusively to our editor Matt Freeman earlier today regarding his time in the house and what he had hoped to achieve through appearing in the reality series.

Despite public perceptions, Kimbo (real name Kevin Ferguson) is an intelligent athlete who is dedicated to doing as well as possible in the fighting arena and the challenge was his main motivation. Dana White's open invitation for Ferguson to enter the house was taken on for the calibre of opponents available, not to silence White.

STORY

Post #1   9/10/09 2:24:12PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
How can you not like this guy......Everyone hates on him because of his background and because EXC used him to sell tickets, but the dude just likes to fight and put on a show.........

Post #2   9/10/09 3:59:22PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
If this is indeed Kimbo's approach to fighting, he is probably going to have a very short career. Just look at Tank Abbott and how fast he took a downward spiral.

Post #3   9/10/09 4:35:52PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Or you know get submitted.

Post #4   9/10/09 5:43:49PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
War Kimbo, i hope he at least KO's someone, i really like the guy a lot...and he doesn't deserve what people say of him.

Post #5   9/10/09 7:01:14PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,379-866
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
kimbo seriously shows some promise. but unless his ground game gets amazing in a small time frame he wont make it. but im sure there are fighters in the heavyweight division that would love to say i stood up with kimbo and beat the **** out of him. i think kimbo is overrated in his skills tho his stand up does need alot of improvement he fought worthless opponents in exc and hope to see him get tested against some better quality to see if he has what it takes. dont tell me tank abbott was a worthy opponent either. tank abbott is a brawler and that match up was made for kimbo and tank abbott is way out of his prime.

Post #6   9/10/09 7:29:28PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
hmmm, sounds to me like hes trying to justify an embarrassing loss from the show. With Tuf 10 about to air i think it makes sense that he'd put a message out like this right before everyone see's him get knocked out badly.

best of luck to him though.

Post #7   9/10/09 7:34:06PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

i think kimbo is overrated in his skills tho his stand up

I don't think he's overrated. Nobody is saying he's a world class striker. He's a street brawler, plain and simple.

Post #8   9/10/09 8:34:22PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by hate4thestate

i think kimbo is overrated in his skills tho his stand up

I don't think he's overrated. Nobody is saying he's a world class striker. He's a street brawler, plain and simple.

I think he means overrated by how much people talk about him and how popular he is, which doesn't make sense, haha.

Kimbo is far from overrated, the only ones who overrated him are the very uneducated fans.

Personally i really like him, and i want him to do well.

Post #9   9/10/09 8:44:01PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
I just hope he knocks out James "162-9" McSweeny to feed him some humble pie.

Post #10   9/10/09 11:36:32PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Chips:
sorry ill clarify. indeed for the uneducated fans haha. sorry im new here and most discussions i have are with uneducated people. but i dont think he deserves his popularity and i think its bad for the sport. street brawling isnt something that should be celebrated or compared to mma.

Post #11   9/21/09 5:37:09AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
With the array of "striking styles" in MMA I'm surprised that you would be bothered by Kimbo's decidedly "boxing style" "street brawling". He isn't out there winging wild hooks and lead right hands. He actually throws jabs, crosses, left hooks, and straight rights. He has head movement and rolls his shoulders better than a lot of MMA fighters. Is he a contender? No. He didn't start at age 16 or younger wrestling and striking. But he is a better pure striker than MANY fighters in MMA right now. If you watch 70% of MMA fighters...especially if they have a wrestling background, their striking technique is atrocious and is much closer to "brawling" than fighting. That said, their takedowns can cover for them.

Kimbo will get taken down. taken down...taken down. He might KO you or might get KO'd but that's not the blue print to beat him---takedowns are. He's like another Melvin Manhouf of MMA right now.

Post #12   9/21/09 6:49:47PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Chips:
something very important to think about is his chin. it could be possible he has a glass chin. but we shall soon see im sure.

but anyways on his striking. i think his striking is overrated. one dimensional. but i think you misunderstood. i wasnt talking about his style of fighting when i said street brawling. i was talking about his popularity and history. no i think his striking is decent but still a little overrated. yea his striking looks good against horrible "opponents" like tank abbot. but if and when he fights an actual decent striker i think we will see his weaknesses in his stand up game. no need to mention ground game or lack thereof.

but honestly there is something that wants me to see him do good. i think overall hes a good guy and he just wants to put on a show for the fans which is completely admirable. cant hate someone that just wants to entertain. i would like to see him succeed but i think its fairly unlikely.

Post #13   9/21/09 7:09:40PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
My point is that his striking technique is better than a lot of MMA fighters---from a boxing perspective. I don't know much about his kicking. Haven't seen much. He needs MORE head movement but at least he has some, and he doesn't hold his chin straight out. I was watching UFN the other night and watched at least three fighters, circle the wrong way, keep their chin straight up in the air as they backed away from punches and watched several guys cross their feet over. And this is in the "Premiere league" of MMA.

As far as downing Kimbo because he fought street fights for money where he could find them---I don't down Lesnar or Lashley because they did wrestling. Why knock a guy for trying to eat? I won't do it. MMA is about...MMA. He fought bad opponents and won. He lost to one guy. It happens. Randy Couture is one of my faovrite fighters how many times has that guy been KTFO? A whole bunch. Doesn't mean he's not entertaining or doesn't come to fight. When matched correctly---against middle level competition or guys on their way down or guys not yet on their way up---he'll be entertaining.

And isn't that the point?

Post #14   9/21/09 10:12:58PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Chips:
from a boxing perspective yea hes pretty good. think he knows how to even check a leg kick? i dont know. never said he was complete trash he does show potential but only potential. never said i didnt respect the guy for wanting to entertain. if you look on my previous post i do mention that i respect him for that. im tired i dont even know what else was said haha. kimbo wont make it out of TUF imo.

Post #15   9/22/09 4:30:54AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2