Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir to add more strength to go with his technique

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
“In the fight with Brock, I really felt there was a huge difference in strength and power. Being 245, I just don’t think I’ll ever be able to compete with him at that weight…. One area of my game I’m really lacking at is physical power. Just training, lifting heavy weights, being explosive, being a powerful athlete…. I’m going to go back to drawing board, I’m going to win two, three fights in a row and get a rematch against him. And I don’t have to sit here and complain about it, I’ll get an opportunity to get locked in a cage with him and show him what I felt about [his post-fight antics].”

Link

Post #1   9/8/09 1:29:13AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I really don't think I would want to see this rematch after 3-4 fights...even if they are all wins. Just because the last fight was so horrible. If he had 3-4 wins and they were say Cain V, Kongo, Nog, and Carwin then I would say go for it just because the division would be cleaned out, but otherwise I have no interest in this rematch.

Post #2   9/8/09 2:37:03AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I really don't think I would want to see this rematch after 3-4 fights...even if they are all wins. Just because the last fight was so horrible. If he had 3-4 wins and they were say Cain V, Kongo, Nog, and Carwin then I would say go for it just because the division would be cleaned out, but otherwise I have no interest in this rematch.

I don't see any reason a former UFC HW Champ would have to "clean out" a division to get a rubber match against someone he's already beaten.

Everybody (i.e. pay-per-view buyers) loves a Rubber Match and I think if he can knock off a few guys in a row he's guaranteed the trilogy.

If he were to beat an up and comer as well as prove his Nogueira win wasn't a fluke, or just beat two up and comers, I see no reason he wouldn't deserve a shot.

Post #3   9/8/09 5:53:59AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by jae_1833

I don't see any reason a former UFC HW Champ would have to "clean out" a division to get a rubber match against someone he's already beaten.

Everybody (i.e. pay-per-view buyers) loves a Rubber Match and I think if he can knock off a few guys in a row he's guaranteed the trilogy.

If he were to beat an up and comer as well as prove his Nogueira win wasn't a fluke, or just beat two up and comers, I see no reason he wouldn't deserve a shot.

I concur.

Post #4   9/8/09 6:31:08AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Mir should shut his mouth. He' keeps accusing Nog of making excuses and then he goes and does the same thing. Mir's not going to win against an elite opponent again.

Post #5   9/8/09 7:37:08AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,509-1,360
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Mir should shut his mouth. He' keeps accusing Nog of making excuses and then he goes and does the same thing. Mir's not going to win against an elite opponent again.

This....everytime Mir opens his mouth he blindly makes excuses for his performances. I do have to say though, it's entertaining when I get to see people whoop on him.

Post #6   9/8/09 1:34:56PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I'd personally love to see the rematch. Mir would be an idiot to not work on his strength. He's got unbelievable technique, and technique does beat size 9 times out of 10....but then there is Brock Lesnar....he will be the 10th time over and over again until he fights a guy who has supurb technique but also has a great deal of power. Mir didn't just lay on the mat in the second match....he was pinned there...and held there...he wasn't strong enough to move....he wasn't strong enough to move his arm that was trapped, and I don't care if you have the best hips in the world....they do you no good when you are pinned up against the cage and that mammoth of a man is beating you in the face. Mir does deserve the rubber match after a few wins....not only for the fact that he is a top heavyweight...but also because....he beat Lesnar the first time. I'm gonna guess all of the haters think the first fight was a fluke right? Why? Because Mir was losing until he caught the knee bar? In that case every fight Royce Gracie ever won was a fluke.....Big Nog has pulled more flukes out of his ass than anybody in the industry, and any BJJ practicioner should hang up there boots until they become top notch strikers and wresters because no matter how many giants they beat in the face of adversity it will be a fluke. Give Mir the shot IF he can rack up a few wins. He deserves it and if he can increase his strengh it will be a much more entertaining fight.

Post #7   9/8/09 3:48:38PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Um...he didn't make an excuse--he made an observation. I wasn't strong enough isn't an excuse. I was abducted by an alien that sapped my strength---is an excuse.

He's right--he wasn't strong enough. Yes, he will have get stronger to fight Brock. Can he? I Don't know. Some people are just naturally stronger. I can go in to a gym after not lifting for a year and lift more than my friends who lift every day. They can make really great growth but can't get stronger than me...Brock is insanely strong---as is a guy like Carwin or Fedor. they are just naturally strong and then add strength on top of that.

He can get stronger though, especially if he DOESN"T train strength and explosiveness (which is bizzare for a heavyweight that weighs 240) but whatever. If you are a heavyweight you have NO EXCUSE not to work out with weights unless you are Bo Jackson. That fool was so strong he didn't need to lift weights. Benched over 450 and never lifted. weights...wild.

Post #8   9/8/09 7:32:00PM