Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mousasi: UFC Never Made Offer

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
"In terms of long-term potential, few mixed martial artists carry the value of Gegard Mousasi, a multi-lingual 24-year-old with talent to spare. Currently under contract to Strikeforce and Dream, he denies the UFC made a pitch for his services following the collapse of Affliction’s fight promotion wing in July."

LINK

Post #1   9/6/09 1:33:27PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,381-1,294
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If that's the case, it's probably because they didn't want to deal with his management.

Post #2   9/6/09 2:15:02PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

If that's the case, it's probably because they didn't want to deal with his management.

no doubt but that sucks now another great fighter wont ever get to the ufc, although I'm sure M-1 stipulations in regards to Mousasi and negotiating wont be as ridiculous

Post #3   9/6/09 3:35:37PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:985-644
Chips:
Somebody dropped the ball

Post #4   9/6/09 3:52:54PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
this translates to me as "my management never tells me anything and makes me do what is best for them" i hope M-1 dies i hate that company

Post #5   9/6/09 4:14:51PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by king_katool

this translates to me as "my management never tells me anything and makes me do what is best for them" i hope M-1 dies i hate that company

do you know that for sure???

yes i dont agree with everything M-1 does.but to accuse his management is another thing.and to attack the company.

what it boils down to is people are taking sides.youve obviously taken the side of the UFC.

you, me, and everyone else here will never know for sure what really transpired

Post #6   9/6/09 5:24:11PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by king_katool

do you know that for sure???

yes i dont agree with everything M-1 does.but to accuse his management is another thing.and to attack the company.

what it boils down to is people are taking sides.youve obviously taken the side of the UFC.

you, me, and everyone else here will never know for sure what really transpired

chill man, its sounds like his guess is pretty close to what may have actually happened. if the UFC made him an offer he still would have turned it down, thats M1 fighters for ya!

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #7   9/6/09 5:50:42PM   

duggy

MMA Regular

duggy Avatar

Career:1,673-897
Chips:
didnt m1 tell mousasi that ufc offered 40k/40k?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/6/980383/joe-silva-talks-gegard-mousasis

Post #8   9/6/09 6:33:44PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I thought that this was already common knowledge, and that the REASON they never made an offer is because his management team told him they made a worse offer than strikeforce, railroading him into signing with them before the UFC ever spoke to them.

This is shadiness by M-1, not the UFC dropping the ball. Yes, Gegard has talent, but the UFC has the platform to allow him to showcase that talent. Gegard needs the UFC far more than the UFC needs Gegard.

M-1 Global needs to die as a promoter and management team. These guys are like Gary Shaw times 20, except instead of Kimbo, they have some of the best fighters in the world, giving them serious bargaining chips. I really hope these guys realize what is going on and dump these clowns as soon as their contracts are up. If anyone RE-signs with M-1 at this point they're either oblivious, part of their schemes, or something really shady is going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Last edited 9/7/09 12:12AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   9/7/09 12:08:34AM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Posted by xdanish020

no doubt but that sucks now another great fighter wont ever get to the ufc, although I'm sure M-1 stipulations in regards to Mousasi and negotiating wont be as ridiculous

Thats what I was thinking. M-1 isn't doing helping the sport.

Post #10   9/7/09 12:31:30AM   

dmfp

MMA Regular

dmfp Avatar

Career:809-495
Camp: Swe Boxe
Chips:

Posted by king_katool

True..

Post #11   9/7/09 8:04:25AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Actually this is you guys not liking a management team and making a judgement call based on zero facts. That's fine. Just call it what it is--A guess. We are about as close to these negotiations and the facts of the case as we are to the reasons for Jessica Simpson's break up with Romo. You don't know.

What you DO know is that a guy MUCH closer to the real life breathing situation said he was never made an offer. What you DO know is that a UFC spokesperson "claimed" that M-1 management "made a claim about a UFC offer. " If Gegard felt that he had been lied to wouldn't he have said it in this article? Silva slept on Gegard and admitted it in http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic34924-1.html when he said, "We assumed...." after the Affliction joint. They never came with an offer, Gegard never said he was offered anything which discredits the claim that Silva made---Gegard called HIM to find about an offer. Gegard never said that happened---although it is in the interest of UFC to say that it did happen. After all, their whole goal right now is to discredit any and all things about M-1 so that they can get their hands on Fedor (who they call a joke) and now Gegard Mousasi who wasn't even on their radar screen.

Good scoop by Strikeforce.

Post #12   9/7/09 11:12:51AM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

I concur 100%

Post #13   9/7/09 12:08:21PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
the silly thing is, if you look at the Bloody elbow article it isn't credible at all. The source cited is "Cindy O" an affiliate from Zuffa. In other words, a reporter didn't call Zuffa and Silva and find out what they said, somebody "affiliated with Zuffa" who doesn't have a last name apparently, told a guy on a website that Joe said he didn't offer a contract.

That's worse than the Enquirer. I migth as well write that my friend who has a cousin that works for Zuffa told my friend who told me that Fedor was offered a billion dollars for a fight in the UFC and he turned it down. It simply isn't credible at all. The only reason you would believe this is if you WANT to believe it Gegard himself said, he didnt get an offer and he never mentioned calling Silva or being lied to by M-1 which HE WOULD BELIEVE if he REALLY DID call Joe Silva personally.

Post #14   9/7/09 12:15:02PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Actually this is you guys not liking a management team and making a judgement call based on zero facts. That's fine. Just call it what it is--A guess. We are about as close to these negotiations and the facts of the case as we are to the reasons for Jessica Simpson's break up with Romo. You don't know.

What you DO know is that a guy MUCH closer to the real life breathing situation said he was never made an offer. What you DO know is that a UFC spokesperson "claimed" that M-1 management "made a claim about a UFC offer. " If Gegard felt that he had been lied to wouldn't he have said it in this article? Silva slept on Gegard and admitted it in http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic34924-1.html when he said, "We assumed...." after the Affliction joint. They never came with an offer, Gegard never said he was offered anything which discredits the claim that Silva made---Gegard called HIM to find about an offer. Gegard never said that happened---although it is in the interest of UFC to say that it did happen. After all, their whole goal right now is to discredit any and all things about M-1 so that they can get their hands on Fedor (who they call a joke) and now Gegard Mousasi who wasn't even on their radar screen.

Good scoop by Strikeforce.

Sigh.... Where to start. Let's start with the complete misquote.

"when he said, "We assumed...." after the Affliction joint. They never came with an offer, Gegard never said he was offered anything which discredits the claim that Silva made---Gegard called HIM to find about an offer."

What Silva actually said is not anywhere close to what you wrote. Here is the passage you're "quoting"

""Not only did we not make an offer, but we would’ve assumed his Affliction contract and its terms."

Silva in no way contradicted himself, nor did he say they assumed anything. He said they would have ASSUMED the terms of his contract. In other words they would have honoured the contract he had with Affliction as though it were their own. The fact that both Joe Silva AND Gegard have said that no offer was made by the UFC only reinforces Joe's story. If you read more closely you will see that what was said is that Gegard called the UFC AFTER signing with Strikeforce to find out if what his management told him about a 40/40 offer from the UFC was true, which Joe said it was not.

Joe Silva INTERVIEW

You can see in this interview of Joe Silva by a reporter that the whole thing about the quotes being as reliable as a tabloid magazine is not remotely true, and that he talks even further about the fact that Apy Echteld called him to clarify the issue of the 40/40 claim, saying that he was told by someone that this is what the UFC would be offering.

As to you saying "If Gegard felt that he had been lied to wouldn't he have said it in this article? " No? Most likely not.... People don't generally go on video slandering the people they are currently under contract with. If you're going to use that kind of logic, this would be a far more convincing argument:

"When asked about allegations that his management had misled him about the value of the UFC offer, Mousasi declined comment. "

Why would he decline to comment if his answer was going to be "no, I wasn't lied to" That's like someone pleading the fifth in court. Maybe you didn't officially say it, but by refusing to answer, you're essentially saying it's true. He was also clearly struggling to answer the last question diplomatically before settling on "There was never an offer from the UFC" which reinforces everything else already said, and indicates that there is some conflict he's trying to stay clear of.

Your post is the one based on assumptions and zero facts. Most other people's posts are based on direct quotes across about a half a dozen articles from Silva, Mousasi, and Apy Echteld, as well as the previous debacle with Fedor and Finkelschtein. You're openly rewording quotes to suit your argument and then telling other people they're making assumptions. You are using the article as the basis of your argument, and then turning around and saying that it isn't credible to begin with.

Everything that we've seen from the mouths of M-1 management (finkleshtein and echteld), Fedor, Mousasi, Joe Silva, and Dana all points in the exact same direction. Don't you think that M-1 would have said "we didn't do that" instead of calling Joe Silva to make excuses for why they did it? Don't you find it strange that there is absolutely no contradiction going on in any of their statements? Everyone is saying the same thing, even M-1.

I would be absolutely shocked if Mousasi continued with M-1 after his next 2 fights. I'm sure he knows that it is far, far easier for him to do his 2 fights and keep his mouth shut than to get caught up in a huge debacle where he's fighting against the people who have his fate in their hands. If he wants to get away from M-1 he has 2 options, one is to finish his contract, and the other is to try to separate from them legally, which would take a lot of litigation, and we saw how that worked for Couture.

Post #15   9/7/09 3:54:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2