Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

"Minotauro" Nogueira: If Frank Mir thinks I was making excuses, then let's do it again

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
UFC heavyweight Frank Mir (12-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) doesn't have much good to say about Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-5-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) these days.

Mir has taken exception to the numerous "excuses" – such as a severe staph infection that hospitalized the Brazilian, as well as torn meniscus – laid out by UFC president Dana White, UFC announcer Joe Rogan and "Minotauro" himself as to why the Nogueira that lost to Frank Mir in December 2008 was different than the one that defeated Randy Couture in the main event of this past Saturday's UFC 102 in Portland, Ore.

Link

Post #1   9/4/09 9:34:03PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
I sure hope Nogueira fights Mir again. The way Nogueira fought against Couture and the way he fought against Mir were completely different. It looked like two different people out there. I really believe the staph infection tired Nogueira out and he just had nothing left for the fight. I really hope they fight again so Nogueira can prove to everyone that he is better than Frank Mir and hopefully shut Mir's mouth which is hard to do, the guy likes to talk.

Post #2   9/4/09 9:40:40PM   

Jimbo

Standup Guy

Jimbo Avatar

Career:702-408
Camp: The Vuttholios
Chips:
Zombie Nog <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Normal Nog

Post #3   9/4/09 10:16:13PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Forget Mir vs Kongo this fight needs to happen. The difference between the Nog that fought Mir and Nog @ 102 is night and day. Mir also has a right to be pissed off, all of this talk is taking credit away from the hard work that he put in to beat Nog. This fight is the one that we need to see!!

Post #4   9/4/09 10:35:54PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

Forget Mir vs Kongo this fight needs to happen. The difference between the Nog that fought Mir and Nog @ 102 is night and day. Mir also has a right to be pissed off, all of this talk is taking credit away from the hard work that he put in to beat Nog. This fight is the one that we need to see!!

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #5   9/4/09 11:25:33PM   

Jimbo

Standup Guy

Jimbo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

If Mir gets past Kongo i think they should have a rematch. But i dont he is going to anyway.

heres a post from someone on sherdog that pretty much sums up my thoughts on Kongo vs Mir

First off, Kongo is extremely underrated right now based on taking a short notice fight with one of the best wrestlers in the division. Kongo actually has respectable takedown defense when he's prepared for a fight and not up against a wrestler. He's also a large/strong heavyweight, and can stuff poorly setup shots such as the ones Mir uses.

Second, despite his poor ground game, he's durable on the ground and has never been submitted. Also, if he can stuff the takedown (which I believe will be the case) and Mir goes to guard, Kongo has vicious GnP. He can finish fights from GnP from the guard and Mir has proved that when rocked, he is often finished.

Onto Mir, he's probably more overrated and confident for no reason right now than he ever has been. We can all see how little his Nog win means now and we can see how little he has for the bigger wrestlers of the division. The Vera loss was no fluke, Mir just does not have composure when he gets rocked and he doesn't have the wrestling abilities of Cain to get on top when he gets dropped. If Mir were more durable when faced with adversity in a fight, I might think differently but Kongo has killer instinct and Mir crumbles under pressure and hard shots.

Also worth mentioning is how good Mir believes his standup is now, even if it is much improved he still does not have the power to hurt Kongo. Another factor is that he admitted for the Lesnar camp, he trained zero wrestling because he knew he would be unable to stuff the takedown regardless of how hard he trained it so realistically, his wrestling could be worse now than it has been in recent history.

Last edited 9/5/09 12:52AM server time by jimbo
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   9/4/09 11:57:40PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'd like both Mir and Nog to get another win in before it happened, and I think it should happen. If Nog wins again he will get a title shot for sure though and I don't think it would be the same for Frank.

Post #7   9/5/09 1:23:09AM   

kimoron

MMA Regular

kimoron Avatar

Career:687-420
Chips:

Posted by Jimbo

Posted by Nightmare27

If Mir gets past Kongo i think they should have a rematch. But i dont he is going to anyway.

heres a post from someone on sherdog that pretty much sums up my thoughts on Kongo vs Mir

First off, Kongo is extremely underrated right now based on taking a short notice fight with one of the best wrestlers in the division. Kongo actually has respectable takedown defense when he's prepared for a fight and not up against a wrestler. He's also a large/strong heavyweight, and can stuff poorly setup shots such as the ones Mir uses.

Second, despite his poor ground game, he's durable on the ground and has never been submitted. Also, if he can stuff the takedown (which I believe will be the case) and Mir goes to guard, Kongo has vicious GnP. He can finish fights from GnP from the guard and Mir has proved that when rocked, he is often finished.

Onto Mir, he's probably more overrated and confident for no reason right now than he ever has been. We can all see how little his Nog win means now and we can see how little he has for the bigger wrestlers of the division. The Vera loss was no fluke, Mir just does not have composure when he gets rocked and he doesn't have the wrestling abilities of Cain to get on top when he gets dropped. If Mir were more durable when faced with adversity in a fight, I might think differently but Kongo has killer instinct and Mir crumbles under pressure and hard shots.

Also worth mentioning is how good Mir believes his standup is now, even if it is much improved he still does not have the power to hurt Kongo. Another factor is that he admitted for the Lesnar camp, he trained zero wrestling because he knew he would be unable to stuff the takedown regardless of how hard he trained it so realistically, his wrestling could be worse now than it has been in recent history.

I really love how Mir preaches about how disheartening it is to hear about people making excuses for a for Nogs performance when they fought and then when asked about a fight with Randy makes up "reasons" why he would not take the fight. I doubt Mir would have even fought had he been in half the shape Nog was. Im sure its very disheartening for Mir to hear that seeing as how he doesnt have much heart to go around.

Post #8   9/5/09 2:58:10AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

"He wanted to come out and put on a good performance against Mir, and he's not making excuses now. He's giving the reason he performed the way he did back in December."

I believe thats the exact same thing as making excuses. Anyways i get that frank is pissed that alot of people are writing off his best career win but rogan made excuses for when mir broke his leg in the motorcyle accident and was losing alot and i didnt see frank complaining then.

Post #9   9/5/09 3:04:00AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Mir just has to understand that announcers,fans,etc bring this type of discussion up all the time.
Had Nog looked the same against Couture as he did against Mir I don't think a thing about it would have been said.

What made it such a big issue was the fact of how much different Nog looked.
The difference is day and night.

I understand why Mir is pissed.
He won fair and square and people are trying to write it off.

But if anything,during the whole fight it seemed to me Rogan and Goldberg were doing nothing more but overglorfying Couture,despite Nog winning the entire fight.
I don't even remember Rogan bringing up the staph infection until Goldberg asked him about it later in the fight.

Post #10   9/5/09 7:21:49AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't know about you guys, but I've never actually heard Nog himself utter a single word about injuries or sicknesses (unless he is answering a question, what's he supposed to do, lie to make Frank feel better?). Dana White and Joe Rogan definitely said it about a billion times, but I've never EVER seen Nog making excuses in all of the years he's been fighting.

It is understandable that Frank would be annoyed, but from what I can see the only thing that Nog said about it was in response to reporter's questions after having heard Joe and Dana saying it.

I want to see this rematch.

Last edited 9/5/09 10:03AM server time by Aether
2 total post edits

Post #11   9/5/09 9:57:46AM   

Jimbo

Standup Guy

Jimbo Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

I don't know about you guys, but I've never actually heard Nog himself utter a single word about injuries or sicknesses (unless he is answering a question, what's he supposed to do, lie to make Frank feel better?). Dana White and Joe Rogan definitely said it about a billion times, but I've never EVER seen Nog making excuses in all of the years he's been fighting.

It is understandable that Frank would be annoyed, but from what I can see the only thing that Nog said about it was in response to reporter's questions after having heard Joe and Dana saying it.

I want to see this rematch.

edit: dont worry

Last edited 9/5/09 11:10AM server time by jimbo

Post #12   9/5/09 10:10:55AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,338-1,248
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This would be a much better fight than Kongo vs. Mir and they have plenty of time to pull it and change it up. I would love to see a Mir/Nog rematch as I fully believe Mir's win was due to Nog's staph infection.

They can easily find someone else for Kongo to fight...Duffee, Russow both coming off wins.

Post #13   9/5/09 12:33:40PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

This would be a much better fight than Kongo vs. Mir and they have plenty of time to pull it and change it up. I would love to see a Mir/Nog rematch as I fully believe Mir's win was due to Nog's staph infection.

They can easily find someone else for Kongo to fight...Duffee, Russow both coming off wins.

Great idea. They are supposedly "fast tracking" Duffee, so Kongo would be a great step in that direction. Plus, we get to see the Mir vs. Nog rematch. Win / Win if you ask me.

Post #14   9/5/09 9:50:50PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Hate to say it but Frank NEEDS to beat Kongo to get another shot at NOG. NOG needs to be woried about an up coming title fight with.....CARWIN!!! Thats right i said it! Ok that said, NOG needs to be worried with his next fight. Hopfully it being a title fight with either Carwin/Lesnar.

Post #15   9/5/09 11:59:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2