Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ohio Commission Responds to Sean Salmon

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sean Salmon’s self-imposed troubles continue: after the fighter admitted in an MMAJunkie.com essay that he purposely fell into an armbar submission during a June 3 bout against Allan Weickert, Ohio State Athletic Commission Executive Director Bernie Profato told Sherdog.com/ESPN.com Thursday that Salmon was putting himself in danger of exile.

STORY

Post #1   9/3/09 4:51:39PM   

Mr_Dead_Sexy

MMA Regular

Mr_Dead_Sexy Avatar

Career:2,598-1,465
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
I thought he was stupid to write the article. There's never any shame admitting you lost a fight. That's what makes MMA great, on any given day, Serra can beat GSP. But when you admit you throw a fight, that's a slap in the face of everyone who busts their ass trying to make it to levels Salmon has been blessed to.

Post #2   9/3/09 6:13:42PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
What proof do you need he admitted it.

Post #3   9/3/09 6:28:43PM   

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:
he messed up...

Post #4   9/3/09 7:02:44PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,635-1,923
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I agree with the OSAC, I mean I would never throw a fight, it's like I get a fight somewhere else, I have to set my career back a step and lose. It's a scumbag move to throw a fight IMO, that's why I still to this day don't cheer for Mark Coleman, thanks to his PRIDE 5 fight.

Post #5   9/3/09 8:48:12PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
He deserves what ever punishment is handed down by the OSAC. He can backpeddle however much he wants he wrote it and should be suspended or banned. Even if he didnt throw the fight and just gave up, he left it open for that interpretation by his own words. Bad news.

Post #6   9/3/09 9:46:17PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Agree. But there are many big names i include with Coleman. Like Frye and Oleg. And others who I feel are just as guilty like Randleman, and Kitaoka.

What bothers me most about Salmon is the reason he first admited to it. It wasnt he felt guilty about cheating his profession. He did it for greed and ego. He didnt want everyone thinking he lost to a guy he let win and he didnt want his future contracts to be based on a fake loss. Hoping people want count the loss against him.

But like i have told people for years. Its not hard to throw a fight an noone ever find out. If you train you know how easy it is to let someone submit you. All you have to do is delay a split second or stay is bad positions. The only reason fans find out about works is we see the stupid people who make them to obvious. The worst works are the ones where they fighters go out of their way to not hit each other. These fighters spar every day in training yet they wont take a hit to sell a fight? Thats stupid. Then you get guys who just lay their arm there so long you can tell its set up. Rather than just not defend what ever sub the guy goes for.

But in the case of some Pride fighters. It was just a pro wrestling gimmick from the start. Strikers claiming their will submit grapplers just to blame the loss of a bad game plan. There were tons in Pride. But they were trying to appeal to the huge pro wrestling fan base over there which was what Pride was founded on.

Post #7   9/3/09 10:09:41PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
well he will never be in the ufc or strikeforce ever
he might have signed his death warrant

Post #8   9/3/09 10:21:41PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
well on the bright side he can probably get a job playing lurch from the adam's family if he does get suspended. (as he should)

Post #9   9/4/09 12:06:00AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
I don't know which is more pathetic, his admitting to throwing the fight, or his trying to backpeddle of a misinterruptation when the wording is as clear as can be that he threw the fight.

On the bright side he will have planty of time to help other fighters with their wrestling during his suspension.

Post #10   9/4/09 12:39:03AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
He did not throw the fight. He loss the fight. I don't expect any of you posters to understand. But when you do combat sports...sometimes, there is a point where you just become mentally broken. In wrestling you let yourself get pinned, in boxng you fall down and don't answer the count, in mma you let yourself get submitted.

The fact is, he mentally broke...the other fighter beat him. Salmon no longer wanted to fight, so he let himself lose.

Now, heres the thing...in wrestling, boxing, and mma...you never actually "Let" yourself lose. Maybe in wrestling, you don't fight a pin as hard as you should, in boxing perhaps you don't try your hardest to get your bearngs right, in MMA maybe you can get out of a submission if you chose to fight it to the fullest...you just don't.

You don't actually throw the fight, but you break down mentally, you lose all belief in yourself, and subconsciously just want out. So you don't exactly try to lose...you just stop trying your best to win.

You see immediately, and I mean immediately after the match is over, the fighter feels ashamed of themselves for what happened...they hate themselves...they blame nobody but themselves...they believe they "let the other guy win" because they "gave them the match". They are ashamed, and will say quotes like those above...even though they did not actually purposely lose.

Salmon did not throw the fight. He mentally broke, no longer felt he had any worth left, he believed himself to be scum...and did not fight the finish as much as he could. In his mind he let himself be submitted, in his mind, in his heart, he belives he through thr match.

In all honestly though, he didn't. The other fighter mentally broke him and finished the job. Mentally breaking somebody can be a setup to a submission...look at all the guys (In the UFC mind you) who break, give up their backs, stick out their necks...do not defend...and tap out. Joe Rogan points this out by saying "he's looking for a way out."

In their minds they through the fight...in reality they did not. Salmon was upset at himself, at that point in time he had not yet recived his selfworth back yet...he said he gave the guy the armbar because thats what he believed he did...just because you believe in Santa Clause doesn't make him real...just because Salmon believes he through the fight doens't mean he did.

The other guy got an armbar on a mentally broken Salmon...a guy with two weeks MMA training could have gotten out of it...Salmon did not...the end. It sucks. It Happens. Get over it.

EDIT: addressing the "backpedaling"
The way Salmon was backpedaling makes perfect sense. Its hard to explain this phenomenom of "breaking" to non long-term combative sport athletes. At the time he wrote that depressive blog, Salmon believed he let himself lose...now that he is out of his depressive state, he is trying to explain what really happened. The guy put on a submission, he didn't fight it...he maybe could have fought it...heck maybe he would have fought it as hard as he could and still have gotten submitted...the fact is he didn't fight at all...he was broken...he believed he had thrown the fight...in reality he didn't...his opponent won by mental breakdown.

Last edited 9/4/09 3:52AM server time by MMA-San
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   9/4/09 3:46:55AM   

matt_black

MMA Regular

matt_black Avatar

Career:467-269
Chips:

Posted by Aether

well on the bright side he can probably get a job playing lurch from the adam's family if he does get suspended. (as he should)

I doubt he would be tall enough for lurch, he could probably make for a good pugsley though

Post #12   9/4/09 7:48:09AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MMA-San

He did not throw the fight. He loss the fight. I don't expect any of you posters to understand. But when you do combat sports...sometimes, there is a point where you just become mentally broken. In wrestling you let yourself get pinned, in boxng you fall down and don't answer the count, in mma you let yourself get submitted.

The fact is, he mentally broke...the other fighter beat him. Salmon no longer wanted to fight, so he let himself lose.

Now, heres the thing...in wrestling, boxing, and mma...you never actually "Let" yourself lose. Maybe in wrestling, you don't fight a pin as hard as you should, in boxing perhaps you don't try your hardest to get your bearngs right, in MMA maybe you can get out of a submission if you chose to fight it to the fullest...you just don't.

You don't actually throw the fight, but you break down mentally, you lose all belief in yourself, and subconsciously just want out. So you don't exactly try to lose...you just stop trying your best to win.

You see immediately, and I mean immediately after the match is over, the fighter feels ashamed of themselves for what happened...they hate themselves...they blame nobody but themselves...they believe they "let the other guy win" because they "gave them the match". They are ashamed, and will say quotes like those above...even though they did not actually purposely lose.

Salmon did not throw the fight. He mentally broke, no longer felt he had any worth left, he believed himself to be scum...and did not fight the finish as much as he could. In his mind he let himself be submitted, in his mind, in his heart, he belives he through thr match.

In all honestly though, he didn't. The other fighter mentally broke him and finished the job. Mentally breaking somebody can be a setup to a submission...look at all the guys (In the UFC mind you) who break, give up their backs, stick out their necks...do not defend...and tap out. Joe Rogan points this out by saying "he's looking for a way out."

In their minds they through the fight...in reality they did not. Salmon was upset at himself, at that point in time he had not yet recived his selfworth back yet...he said he gave the guy the armbar because thats what he believed he did...just because you believe in Santa Clause doesn't make him real...just because Salmon believes he through the fight doens't mean he did.

The other guy got an armbar on a mentally broken Salmon...a guy with two weeks MMA training could have gotten out of it...Salmon did not...the end. It sucks. It Happens. Get over it.

EDIT: addressing the "backpedaling"
The way Salmon was backpedaling makes perfect sense. Its hard to explain this phenomenom of "breaking" to non long-term combative sport athletes. At the time he wrote that depressive blog, Salmon believed he let himself lose...now that he is out of his depressive state, he is trying to explain what really happened. The guy put on a submission, he didn't fight it...he maybe could have fought it...heck maybe he would have fought it as hard as he could and still have gotten submitted...the fact is he didn't fight at all...he was broken...he believed he had thrown the fight...in reality he didn't...his opponent won by mental breakdown.

This is how I understood it as well. Good post.

Post #13   9/4/09 8:21:32AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I have to write more. After rereading the first bit of responses I really have to stress the situation to the playground posters.

First, I don't like Salmon. He reminds me too much of myself. An athlete with all the talent and all the drive but without any dignity. Unlike Forrest Griffen, who is a guy who has tons of heart, tons of drive, and a great work ethic...but lack any confidence or self-esteem...Salmon is a guy who has all the heart, drive, talent, but also has a high amount of confidence and self-esteem.

You see, sometimes when you have a talented guy who has soo much heart and soo much drive to succeed, it pushes them to work really really hard...in Forrest case and in Salmon's case.

However, in Forrest case he works so hard because he doesn't believe he can win, he needs to work harder than everybody else just to justify to himself that he deserves to be in a cage. So when Forrest actually gets in the cage, and does ok...he gets confidence....Forrest will never mentally break, because every second that ticks by on the clock is another second that forrest did not believe he'd survive...its another second of confidence.

Meanwhile in Salmon's case, like Forrest, he works really really hard, takes on all challengers, and will fight at anytime even if it is an inopertune time...but unlike Forrest, he does this because he believes he can win. However, his performance...confidence wise is the opposite of Griffen's...with every second that ticks Salmon loses confidence in himself, simply because it is another second where he did not believe that his opponent would stil be standing. With every round that passes Salmon begins to degenerate from a confident fighter into an iempt depressive fighter because he believes he should have already destroyed the guy in front of him. Therefore, even if Salmon is killing his guy for 2 rounds, he'll mentally break in the third just because he has yet to finish off his opponent.

I'm the same way. In wrestling, I work harder than anybody else, I'll take on anybody, at anytime, with any injury, even if their is no gain in it for me whatsoever...just because I beleive myself to be the best...or I believe thats what I should do in order to be the best...either way, I expect to run through everyguy I face, espcially crappy ones...if the match is close, or even if I'm winning 14 nothing I may still find myself mentally broken...because I didnot meet my own standards.

I am a guy who ahve beaten nation champions, gone all-american, and then lost to incomming freshman with 3-22 records...why because they pushed me, they made me work...I expected myself to run through the guy...but didn't...or maybe I am according to the scoreboards...but not according to my own standards...I give up a takedown...I completly think of myself as the lowest lifeform on earth...then they thrown in a crappy half...I fight...but not really because I beleive I deserve to lose...I'm pinned.

I'm ashamed of myself. I believe I let the other guy win. Did I? No. Did I perform my best? No. Could I have won if I had just not broken down? Yes. Who do I blame? Myself. If you ask me if I let him win will I say yes? Yes I will.

Its not just me, it happens to the best of everyone...everyone...at some point in time. If you are a combative athlete, I dodn't care if your Anderson Silva, Cael Sanderson, or Floyd Maymeather...its happened too you. Maybe in a match, maybe in practice...somewhere its happened. And this is why, we as combative athletes are able to pull ourselves out of the gutter so fast. It is why we don't remain in our depressive states for so long. Because we realize it happens. Are we ashamed, hell yea, but its apart of the game...however, I garentee if you were to ask me to blog about my performance right afterwards, I'd tell you I let him beat me, that I beat myself...even though thats not what happened.

Same thing happened with Salmon. He went in against a crappy opponent expecting to destroy him...it didn't happen...Salmon was winning yes, but not do his standards...he didn't fight a submission...he tapped out...he blogged about it while still in his depressive state...he later got out of his depressive state...now he's explaining what happened...but unfortunately, unless you are a fighter...you'll never understand.

Last edited 9/4/09 8:40PM server time by MMA-San
Edit note/reason: typos

Post #14   9/4/09 8:35:07PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
I still believe he threw the fight. I understand totally what you are trying to say. You dont have to be a pro fighter to understand that. Anyone who has spent any time training knows what you mean and you are correct. But Salmon IMO isnt victim of this.

I believe Salmon is a Mark Kerr like athlete. He come to MMA for money through wrestling. He has no loyalty to MMA. It isnt what he grew up wanting to be. He is still bascally a pure wrestler with probley little respect for the other arts. Anyone who puts the time in to be well rounded would respect the sport more. Therefore he has no shame like most would in throwing a fight. If this was a mental break down like he and the poster above suggests. Then where does the Wolfs Lair come into play? He clearly states he had incentive to throw the fight because he needed to not get hurt.

Second. Anyone who respected the sport and would be above throwing a fight would have been on the net back tracking as soon as anyone suggested to him he throw a fight. If Couture said something that was taken the wrong way like that he would have went off as soon as he realized it wasnt taken correctly. He has to much respect for the sport and dont want to be looked at like that. Salmon didnt do that. He didnt "correct" himself until **** hit the fan and the OSAC commissioner got on his ass and his career was at risk. Only then he goes into denial mode. Not for respect of the sport, dignity but for money.

Post #15   9/4/09 10:45:08PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2