Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sean Sherk Skips CSAC Random Drug Test, Claims Injury; Monte Cox Denies "Conspiracy"

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Nick Diaz is clearly responsible for his own actions, but after the surprise drug test of Josh Barnett he should have been prepared. Someone at the CSAC is clearly singling out high-profile MMA fighters who have checkered histories for special scrutiny.

Guess what, looks like Sean Sherk is the latest to be targeted for a "random" drug test by the CSAC.

STORY

Post #1   9/3/09 4:46:23PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,775-1,531
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Sean Sherk isn't fighting on that card anymore. I don't see what the big deal is.

Post #2   9/3/09 6:48:09PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Lose/Lose. Can't trust Sherk, can't trust CSAC. Besides, didn't Sherk say a while back that he would never fight in California again?

Post #3   9/3/09 6:54:41PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

Sean Sherk isn't fighting on that card anymore. I don't see what the big deal is.

Me either, and why are they testing a fighter who has openly said he'll never fight there again and is no longer fighting?!
CSAC is a weird bunch of people.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   9/3/09 7:45:43PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,384-1,742
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope
didn't Sherk say a while back that he would never fight in California again?

Yes Sir I believe he did, though I understand why the CSAC is testing the people beause they've used or allegedly used before, though that wouldn't explain why they didn't test Vitor, either way, looks bad for Sherk, and the CSAC is f**ked anyways.

Post #5   9/3/09 8:54:27PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by tepid55

Me either, and why are they testing a fighter who has openly said he'll never fight there again and is no longer fighting?!

Because he was scheduled to fight there again.

Post #6   9/3/09 9:10:05PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
It just seems like the CSAC was the last ones to learn, or was never informed of the injury and removal from the card. If they sent an MRI to Zuffa showing a separated shoulder Sherk hasnt done anything wrong IMO.

Post #7   9/3/09 9:27:45PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by SmileR

Posted by tepid55

Because he was scheduled to fight there again.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #8   9/3/09 9:40:17PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Chips:
If he isn't fighting because of injury no reason to get tested. He doesn't need to get licensed at all. I think they are making a big deal out of nothing.

Post #9   9/3/09 10:17:41PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I for one look at the timing of all this to be a little too convenient.

Sherk says he will not fight in CA again.
For some reason decides to fight in CA.
Finds out he has a drug test.
At the last minute he decides to drop out due to injury.

One could easily picture that he was injured before hand and was taking something to recover, hoping that it would be out of his system before the fight. When he got picked for a test, it wasn't out of his system and he dropped out to avoid scrutiny.

Also this statement about passing 7 drug tests since the incident means nothing because I assume they weren't random tests. They were most likely scheduled by his camp. The 7 tests could be interpreted different ways

1) they are tests at totally different times and were to ensure that he was clean, even though he wasn't taking anything

2) they were 7 tests done on the same day (or same week) to look at variability from test to test given an essentially constant analyte (his blood). Thus in reality it is the equivalent of 1 test.

3) The tests could have been to verify the timing of drug cycling.

There are lots of ways to interpret what was said in the article, but the timing of everything is what makes it suspicious IMO

Post #10   9/3/09 10:35:12PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
IMO The UFC needs to set up a regular screening for all fighters. Make it a level playing field all over, all the time. Even when fighters arn't fighting. Banned substances shouldnt be used at all even if you can cycle them so you dont test positive for it on a scheduled test date!?

Last edited 9/3/09 11:16PM server time by BustedKnuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   9/3/09 11:15:56PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
If they actually have an MRI of the injury there should be no problem here.

Post #12   9/4/09 12:12:12AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree wiTH almost all of you....he did say he would never fight in Cali again because OF CSAC, but they did think he was in fact fighting in CalI. He did pass 7 drug testS, but who knows how trustworthy they are and how much shoud we trust him and who are we to question his integrity in the first place. However he showed the UFC an MRI, so who are they to test him to begin with. He does have a checkered past now and should be looked at differently IMO.

However this could all be solved by regularly scheduled monthly drug screenings enforced by contract on part of the UFC.

Post #13   9/4/09 2:06:46AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
My trainer is a 7th degree dan in karate and a bjj BB, and has trained and trained with fighters like GSP, A Silva, Noguiera, and even Rickson Gracie.

and from what I have heard from my trainer, a UFC champion said to him "I dont even know what my trainers are giving me"
hinting at the fact of artifical testosterone or something.

Its a known fact, Pro athletes (Im not saying all) use steroids to help speed up recovery time. Now Im not saying Sherk is guilty, I have been backing Sherk on this from day one after the Hermes fight. I guarantee you at least 1 maybe 2 maybe even 3 of the champs in the UFC use some type of Steroid or a banned substance to help recover after a fight. In fact, I think some of the Trainers have it down to a science for it to leave there system days before a fight.

This is cheating, it must be stopped. One day a fighter will become champ, beat a tough fighter, and test positive for steroids. Then what? you have the ex champ who just got knocked out, and the current champ Cheated to get there, and most likely steroids gave him the strength, stamina n speed to do it. Imagine barnett didnt get tested. Imagine he beat Fedor, and tested positive post fight. Or imagine it left his system days b4 the fight and we would never know. Random testing is fine, but I think they are just trying to get back at Sherk for shedding a lot of light on the issues regarding the CSAC.

Post #14   9/4/09 7:04:45AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Aether

If they actually have an MRI of the injury there should be no problem here.

That would just confirm the injury, which I am not doubting. What I am doubting is the the time of inury vs. when it was reported and whether or not he took something to aid recovery.

Post #15   9/4/09 7:10:57AM