Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sean Salmon Admits to Taking a Dive

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,335-1,232
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In his latest "Full-Time Fighter" column for MMA Junkie, former UFC light heavyweight (and eternal star of Rashad Evans' highlight reel) Sean Salmon makes a rather startling admission regarding his last fight, which took place in Ohio back in June.

Salmon says that he was training with members of the Wolfslair Academy in Cheshire, England, when he flew back to Ohio on June 3rd for a match against WEC veteran Allan Weickert (then with a record of 5-6 to Salmon's 16-7) on June 6th. He was set to return to England on June 7th, provided he emerged from the Weickert bout unscathed.

STORY

Post #1   9/3/09 8:51:33AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
That is disgraceful. He'll never be a champion, but still. Have a little respect.

Post #2   9/3/09 9:17:22AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
im a sympathetic person, and id like to read the rest of what he said, but this is incredibly disgraceful.

Post #3   9/3/09 9:19:27AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
It's actually an interesting article but I'm torn on what to think...

Post #4   9/3/09 9:32:30AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
You know what I can't stand him and he is a peice......nevermind no fighter bashing. He was supposed to headline a show one of my training partners was in and he didn't take that seriously and didn't make weight by almost 15 lbs. I hope he is never given another fight. Sad

Last edited 9/3/09 10:14AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: Removed fighter bashing.

Post #5   9/3/09 10:01:52AM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,182-1,296
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I was actualy cageside for this event.

He was dominating the gy the whole first round..and like he said, in the second dude went for an armbar and wasnt even close...then like a few soconds later he sunk one in...it was weird...but I would have neve guessed Sean threw the fight.

thats pretty disrespectful to the sport, fans, orginization, and his opponent (who acted like an ass afterwardsa nyways...but still)

Post #6   9/3/09 10:15:14AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,361-1,383
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
On the risk of fighter bashing, ive never been a fan of Salmon. After getting ko'd by Rashad and being told he was going to fight Belcher I remember him saying that he was disappointed he wasnt fighting a name fighter and that Belcher was not close to being that caliber of fighter. What gives him the right to think that after getting KO'd by Rashad in one of the best highlight reel knockouts of all time that he deserves some big star? Laughed HARD when Belcher subbed him in less then a minute. This guy is far from a class act and should not be booked for another show ever, unless Vince McMahon is running the league.

Post #7   9/3/09 11:09:12AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,773-944
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Can't respect actions like these at all. Disgraceful.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #8   9/3/09 12:40:14PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
So he got hit with one elbow during a round and a half of a fight he was dominating - then decided to throw it incase he got hit again. Thats the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Post #9   9/3/09 1:05:54PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:

What a disgrace

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that my column would cause this much nonsense...let me explain/clarify...
First of all, I did NOT throw the fight. I went into the cage as I always do - expecting to win. In hind sight, I also went in there with more on my mind than I could ignore. The bottom line is, I quit. I gave up when things got hard. It was a horrible situation for me to deal with, but opening up about it has made things easier/better for me. Further more, than only people that I own an apology too is my family and training partners.
And I don't give a **** about anyone that may have made or lost money on that fight. I am not a gambler (one problem I have managed to avoid), but I think betting on MMA is about as risky as getting in the cage.
About Wolfslair, let me start by saying that I trully like everyone I met there. They are a great group of guys that I will always consider friends. In this situation, I was a paid training partner. I had an agreement to get paid a certain amount of money to do whatever was asked of me. I held up my end of the deal and have not yet been paid. Mentioning this situation in the column was little more than an attempt to get them to return my calls, texts, or emails. Nothing more.
For the person that made a comment that somehow I was disrespetful towards Duke or his gym, but saying that they are now good, because they are bigger or better. You could not be more wrong. I even stated that I was the one that didn't take advantage of my opportunity while I was there. I suppose I should have said...they were great the first time I was there, but now I am ready to embrace a new enviorment and learn as much as I can. I am returning to Milwaukee right after my fight next weekend and would appreciate if you didn't try to make things awkward for me:)
Finally, my life is not longer out of control (no more than the rest of yours), I have goals that I am reaching for everyday and at the end of the day, that is most important.
I am not the first person to have ever quit and gave up during a fight, I will not be the last, but I will never do it again. However, I might be the only dumbass to write about it. Thats alright...I did it for me, not for you. If you can learn from my mistakes, great. If you are no longer a fan of mine, I'm sorry, but keep watching I might be able to win you back. If you think the fact that I quit is the worst thing in the world and you will never cheer for me again, just promise me you won't respond to anything I write again.
If you are reading this and post on MMAJunkie, please copy and past this, I forgot my password to log in. Thanks. If you have anyother questions (serious), email me directly at salmonsean@yahoo.com.
Sean

Last edited 9/3/09 1:28PM server time by andersondasilva
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   9/3/09 1:26:17PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,361-1,383
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I still dont forgive Sean. Thats what makes people a fighter, Neer was extremely close if not going to jail at some point and the guy goes in there and gives his all, Randy has divorced many of his wives around big fights and always gives his all, Ed Herman and Chris Tcuhsherer shouldnt have even been fighting after what happened to them on saturday and they still went in and gave it their all. He quit on himself and the truth is, thats even worse then the fans quiting on you.

Post #11   9/3/09 4:21:04PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

As was I. In fact, given what was written in the article and what was posted at above this, it makes me wonder what the definition of "throwing a fight" really is.

If what Sean said is true, I don't think he threw the fight. He just quit (no different than a fighter quitting because he is too tired or hurt.

With that said, I officially consider throwing a fight to be defined as intentionally losing a fight based on the interests of others.

I've never been a fan of Salmon and this incident doesn't change anything, but I am going to cut him a bit of slack.

Post #12   9/3/09 4:30:37PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by emfleek

As was I. In fact, given what was written in the article and what was posted at above this, it makes me wonder what the definition of "throwing a fight" really is.

If what Sean said is true, I don't think he threw the fight. He just quit (no different than a fighter quitting because he is too tired or hurt.

With that said, I officially consider throwing a fight to be defined as intentionally losing a fight based on the interests of others.

I've never been a fan of Salmon and this incident doesn't change anything, but I am going to cut him a bit of slack.

I agree. Things he mentioned in the article were a little fuzzy and everyone jumped to conclusions.

I'll definitely cut the guy some slack.

Post #13   9/3/09 4:39:06PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Damn some things are better left unsaid. He might have doe it to get his name back on the MMA blogs and all the hype surrounding......any exposure is good exposure!?!?!?!?!

Post #14   9/3/09 5:27:18PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

What a disgrace

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that my column would cause this much nonsense...let me explain/clarify...
First of all, I did NOT throw the fight. I went into the cage as I always do - expecting to win. In hind sight, I also went in there with more on my mind than I could ignore. The bottom line is, I quit. I gave up when things got hard. It was a horrible situation for me to deal with, but opening up about it has made things easier/better for me. Further more, than only people that I own an apology too is my family and training partners.
And I don't give a **** about anyone that may have made or lost money on that fight. I am not a gambler (one problem I have managed to avoid), but I think betting on MMA is about as risky as getting in the cage.
About Wolfslair, let me start by saying that I trully like everyone I met there. They are a great group of guys that I will always consider friends. In this situation, I was a paid training partner. I had an agreement to get paid a certain amount of money to do whatever was asked of me. I held up my end of the deal and have not yet been paid. Mentioning this situation in the column was little more than an attempt to get them to return my calls, texts, or emails. Nothing more.
For the person that made a comment that somehow I was disrespetful towards Duke or his gym, but saying that they are now good, because they are bigger or better. You could not be more wrong. I even stated that I was the one that didn't take advantage of my opportunity while I was there. I suppose I should have said...they were great the first time I was there, but now I am ready to embrace a new enviorment and learn as much as I can. I am returning to Milwaukee right after my fight next weekend and would appreciate if you didn't try to make things awkward for me:)
Finally, my life is not longer out of control (no more than the rest of yours), I have goals that I am reaching for everyday and at the end of the day, that is most important.
I am not the first person to have ever quit and gave up during a fight, I will not be the last, but I will never do it again. However, I might be the only dumbass to write about it. Thats alright...I did it for me, not for you. If you can learn from my mistakes, great. If you are no longer a fan of mine, I'm sorry, but keep watching I might be able to win you back. If you think the fact that I quit is the worst thing in the world and you will never cheer for me again, just promise me you won't respond to anything I write again.
If you are reading this and post on MMAJunkie, please copy and past this, I forgot my password to log in. Thanks. If you have anyother questions (serious), email me directly at salmonsean@yahoo.com.
Sean

is this a quote from an article?

Post #15   9/3/09 6:11:53PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2