Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Carwin: Fedor is going to become irrelevant at Strikeforce

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC heavyweight number one contender, Shane Carwin gave his thoughts on Fedor Emelianenko recently signing with Strikeforce, saying the Russian could have gone down as the greatest of all time but he chose to seek protection, just as he has done in recent years.

When asked about the recent comments made that Strikeforce offers Fedor a better challenge at heavyweight, Carwin scoffed:

LINK

Post #1   9/2/09 12:45:36AM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,038-575
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fedor is still brought up in just about every interview, especially during other heavyweight's interviews. So I'm sure he will stay relevant.

Post #2   9/2/09 1:06:42AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,473-1,569
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Most definately, you know your at the top of the game when all of your fellow competitors are hatin'!

Post #3   9/2/09 3:00:42AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,463-760
Chips:
Fedor made the choice to fight lesser quality opponents for less money then he would have made at the UFC, Fedor is just concerned with preserving his record at this point

Post #4   9/2/09 4:24:58AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
As far as all of the information indicates, Fedor didn't make any choice because he was not legally capable of doing so, M-1 Global made the decision.

The whole "He's afraid of losing" thing is getting pretty old at this point and we all know that it logically makes no sense at all, because if he were to lose in Strikeforce he would be damaging his reputation infinitely worse than if he lost in a title match in the UFC.

People have been saying the same things for years, and even when he moved to Affliction and fought Sylvia, Arlovski, and signed to fight Barnett people somehow still find a way to fit that he's being protected into their arguments. Randy is a God amongst men when he takes Sylvia to a decision and then Fedor is fighting washed up fighters when he demolishes him in 30 seconds.

Do I think going to strikeforce was a good decision? No. But it seems like he really had little say in the matter since the UFC were negotiating with M-1 and not Fedor himself. They're doing whatever they possibly can to grow their company, and they don't seem to care at all about the fighters they manage, the shadiness that went down with Mousassi and M-1 really reinforces that point.

I don't like him being in strikeforce very much but I'll leave judgment on Fedor himself until his M-1 contract expires and he makes up his own mind on what to do.

Post #5   9/2/09 4:57:12AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
As far as Carwin... Well, I had a good laugh reading those words out of an article that is squeezed into half of the page next to a massive picture in bold lettering of Fedor. LOL.

Post #6   9/2/09 5:06:19AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
Carwin, in the great scheme on things YOU are irrelevant now. The fact that all everyone talks about is Fedor means, by definition, his is not irrelevant.

Fedors last 2 opponents where, at the time, top 5 opponents. Barnett would have been another top 5 opponent. So considering that the last 3 opponents Fedor has trained for were all top 5, how is he even ducking the best guys?

How many top 5 guys has Carwin faced? none.
How many top 10 guys has he faced? One. The highly inconsistent Gonzaga.

The Idea that all because a fighter isn’t with the UFC they suddenly become less skilled and irrelevant is just stupid and I don’t understand it at all.

Look at the best UFC fighter. Anderson Silva.
He has never been challenged in the UFC. Walked through everyone.
Where did he come from? His previous opponents were Tony Fryklund, Okami, Curtis Stout and Jorge Rivera. So that must mean that he is only as skilled these fighters. That is until he signed a UFC contract then (like Popeye eating spinach) he suddenly become a much more skilled fighter.

Should Fedor have signed with the UFC?....Yes.
Is he going to become irrelevant by fighting for Strikeforce 3 times?....No.
Would Fedor beat Carwin. Absolutely.

Last edited 9/2/09 5:20AM server time by tomp6581
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   9/2/09 5:19:04AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

Fedor made the choice to fight lesser quality opponents for less money then he would have made at the UFC, Fedor is just concerned with preserving his record at this point

Fedor is under a contract with M-1. 3 fights left of a 6 fight contact.

M-1 will only co-promote.

UFC never co-promote.

Strikefore will co-promote.

M-1 do a deal with Strikeforce for the remaining 3 fights of Fedors contract.

The UFC was never an option, because of Fedors contract.

After that, when he IS a free agent. if he then chooses to sign with someone else, then your point is valid. Now, you just look ill-informed.

Post #8   9/2/09 5:25:56AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,463-760
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by mentalcase

UFC never co-promote.

After that, when he IS a free agent. if he then chooses to sign with someone else, then your point is valid. Now, you just look ill-informed.

Hey do you know that Fedor is part owner of M1 global, if he wanted to fight in the UFC he would have made it happen

this "co-promotion" bullshit is russian for if fedor fights for the UFC he takes half the money

Dana went to talk with fedor to make a deal, he offered him a very reasonable offer but it was clear from the start Fedor (M1 global) did not want to do a deal

Post #9   9/2/09 6:54:21AM   

AO

MMA Regular

Career:480-289
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by mentalcase

UFC never co-promote.

Hey do you know that Fedor is part owner of M1 global, if he wanted to fight in the UFC he would have made it happen

this "co-promotion" bullshit is russian for if fedor fights for the UFC he takes half the money

Dana went to talk with fedor to make a deal, he offered him a very reasonable offer but it was clear from the start Fedor (M1 global) did not want to do a deal

I still find it crazy that people spout this random speculation as fact. You dont know a god damn thing about what % fedor owns of M1, if any. You dont have a clue what was said in those meetings at ANY level of detail thus making these claims of yours complete unsubstantiated garbage.

Back on topic, Carwin is most likely just talking out of his ass to fill up interview space.

Last edited 9/2/09 7:52AM server time by ao

Post #10   9/2/09 7:52:19AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by mentalcase

UFC never co-promote.

SHERDOG

Here is a link to an interview with Fedor.

At about 1:00 in, Fedor is asked something along the lines of...
"do you have to have a co-promotion in order to fight?"
He then replies that he has 3 fights left on his current contract, a contract he is happy with, after that then he will see.

I have no doubt he may own shares in M-1. But that is different to having a fighting contract.
How much equity does he have?
How many other people have shares in m-1?
Can he make important business decisions?
Did he own part of M-1 when he fought in Pride?

There is alot of questions surronding his "ownership" of m-1 that would directly impact on his individual ability to "made it happen".

What we do know is this;

Fedor is under contact a six- fight deal with M-1.
And untill this contract ends, he will never sign with the UFC.

Just imagine for 1 second, that Fedor is desperate to sign with the UFC. I mean absoluteley desperate. From a legal point of view, he couldnt. Unless M-1 gave thier permission...becasuse, he is UNDER CONTRACT.

Post #11   9/2/09 9:26:10AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I find it funny that Carwin says this, but regardless of what happens to Carwin in the UFC and regardless of what happens to Fedor in Strikeforce, I am certain that Carwin would jump at the chance to fight Fedor

Post #12   9/2/09 9:41:27AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
I have no doubt he would either, and this really sounds like Dana White induced UFC propaganda. I've never really seen Carwin talk bad about anyone other than Brock, but that's to be expected in pre-fight hype.

It's kind of strange because by repeatedly talking about him in interviews they MAKE him relevant. If the UFC really wants to try to make Fedor irrelevant, they could probably strong-arm most of their fighters into refusing to answer Fedor questions, but I'm sure Dana realizes this is more or less a way to keep him relevant without giving him any credit until he comes to the UFC. This way they can discredit him on condition that he isn't in the UFC, so that if he does come to the UFC, they can flip instantly without sounding like total hypocrites.

Post #13   9/2/09 10:21:49AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,772-1,096
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
hey did anyone see the animated youtube videos of Dana White talking to Fedor and Fedors management-------hilarious

I was going to post the links but there is swearing and i suppose may be offensive
but they are on youtube uncensored-its a cartoon if you just type dana white negotiates with fedors management, theres about 12 vids all funny

Last edited 9/2/09 10:54AM server time by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Post #14   9/2/09 10:48:40AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I have no doubt he would either, and this really sounds like Dana White induced UFC propaganda. I've never really seen Carwin talk bad about anyone other than Brock, but that's to be expected in pre-fight hype.

It's kind of strange because by repeatedly talking about him in interviews they MAKE him relevant. If the UFC really wants to try to make Fedor irrelevant, they could probably strong-arm most of their fighters into refusing to answer Fedor questions, but I'm sure Dana realizes this is more or less a way to keep him relevant without giving him any credit until he comes to the UFC. This way they can discredit him on condition that he isn't in the UFC, so that if he does come to the UFC, they can flip instantly without sounding like total hypocrites.

I agree with this and your above post.

(now that's a rare event) lol

Post #15   9/2/09 10:53:28AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2