Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Number of MMA Playground players declining each season, Why?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
That's just a rough guess, the most people I've seen active on the forums at any one time is 350-400 but based on rankings there's at least 7000-8000 members on the site that actively play the game.

Post #16   9/1/09 2:18:36PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,058-1,153
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I would also think that the rising popularity of the sport has kind of leveled off for now...until TUF 10.

I was thinking exactly the same thing... TUF 10 will make this website blow up IMO

Post #17   9/1/09 2:38:25PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

TUF 10 will make this website blow up IMO

Yep. If you thought there were TUF newbies before, just wait...

Post #18   9/1/09 2:46:39PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by emfleek

I would also think that the rising popularity of the sport has kind of leveled off for now...until TUF 10.

I was thinking exactly the same thing... TUF 10 will make this website blow up IMO

We also seem to get a whole load of new people every time Lesnar fights
Same for Anderson too

Post #19   9/1/09 2:47:43PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
DC and Rush are right. The number of forum posters is significantly less than the number of people playing the game. We've finally gotten rid of a lot of the bad apples on the forums, though.. so I'm hoping we can attract some new members who want to discuss things intelligently w/o acting like children or trying to lead revolutions.

Another reason for the decline could be the UFC's fantasy game they have going. Back when this website first started the UFC didn't have that. Players may have migrated on to there.

Post #20   9/1/09 6:09:22PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Another reason for the decline could be the UFC's fantasy game they have going. Back when this website first started the UFC didn't have that. Players may have migrated on to there.

I didn't think about that because this was the one and only site for me. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my picks here and I don't even do research. lol

As for the forums issue, over the years we've developed a good core of forum posters, though I think they are a very small proportion of active game players. what I was actually referring to were registered inactive vs. active members.

I am sure when you look at ranks the total number ranked only counts the active members this season, which is only a small proportion.

Post #21   9/1/09 7:41:06PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
Bad apples bannings losers... what did I miss I have been away too long....

By the by... just saw Kimbos little TUF ad...
I am going to look up the fighters... see how many kids VS adults etc...
Does he take the high road or does he try to get attention for an acting career....

Post #22   9/3/09 12:31:39AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

DC and Rush are right. The number of forum posters is significantly less than the number of people playing the game. We've finally gotten rid of a lot of the bad apples on the forums, though.. so I'm hoping we can attract some new members who want to discuss things intelligently w/o acting like children or trying to lead revolutions.

There are also some people who like to play both, myself included. In fact, as much as I like the UFC's game I actually like this one a little better for 2 reasons: It's more simple compared to UFC's and this game has fantasy wagering where UFC's does not.

Post #23   9/3/09 5:24:02AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope
...w/o acting like children or trying to lead revolutions.

lol those were the times, i wont name names but ive seen it the revolucion launched twiced.

Post #24   9/3/09 5:41:50PM   

YeahBee

Learning to Sprawl

YeahBee Avatar

Career:623-368
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
The warroom warriors are just too superior

Post #25   9/17/09 7:54:28AM   

Rollins

Standup Guy

Rollins Avatar

Career:390-236
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
On at least 5 forums I know of that have people from here many people don't post here simply because of a particular mod. They would rather play the game and just stay out of the line of of fire of this loose cannon as not to be banned so they can just play the game.

So many good posters have said screw the MMA Playground forum over 1 person it's ridiculous.

So be it.

Post #26   10/4/09 11:01:56PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:

Posted by Rollins

On at least 5 forums I know of that have people from here many people don't post here simply because of a particular mod. They would rather play the game and just stay out of the line of of fire of this loose cannon as not to be banned so they can just play the game.

So many good posters have said screw the MMA Playground forum over 1 person it's ridiculous.

So be it.

Really, it isn't that hard to keep yourself out of trouble on here. Any suggestion that many people have left because of one mod (who quite possibly might not even be a mod anymore... there has been a good amount of turnover lately) ignores the fact that in order to get in trouble they must have either 1) cheated on the game, 2) broke forum conduct rules repeatedly (which basically means they passed the threshold of an honest mistake and are trolls) or 3) taken part in one of the "revolucions" people are making fun of in this thread.

There are some intelligent people who don't post here anymore, but if they are banned it is their own fault. If they are not banned, then I urge them to give the playground another shot and just don't do anything trollish. I cannot speak of how things went down before I myself became a mod but I can attest that everyone who I moderate this forum with now is a fairminded individual who takes the challenge of letting people speak their minds and making sure that this forum is something more than the usual mma forum filled with a bunch of garbage very seriously. No matter what action or inaction a mod takes, usually someone is upset by it. But none of the mods on here want anything but the best for the site. Informed MMA fans who can write without flaming or trolling are always appreciated. We are lucky to have so many participating on the site.

Post #27   10/5/09 8:47:52PM   

Rollins

Standup Guy

Rollins Avatar

Career:390-236
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
That's sounds really good, it's good to know sanity has returned to the Playground. The fact that this unspoken power whore is still without name leaves a little to be desired for me personally but at least things are moving in the right direction IMHO.

Every mod here since the beginning of the game were always good folks trying to do the right thing for the site....one just got out of control and instead of people telling him to get lost (which some just couldn't help but to do) they just didn't post, went away to other forums and just played the game instead of participating in the forums and having a falling out with this person.

I was one of these hundreds. You can only deal with so much crap before you just get up and leave. I thought this place was different than Sherdog...and it was, it was a community but as it grew the powers that be let one certain ding dong have too much say.

Lesson learned I hope.

Last edited 10/6/09 11:29AM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #28   10/6/09 5:40:25AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Rollins

That's sounds really good, it's good to know sanity has returned to the Playground. The fact that this unspoken power whore is still without name leaves a little to be desired for me personally but at least things are moving in the right direction IMHO.

Every mod here since the beginning of the game were always good folks trying to do the right thing for the site....one just got out of control and instead of people telling him to get lost (which some just couldn't help but to do) they just didn't post, went away to other forums and just played the game instead of participating in the forums and having a falling out with this person.

I was one of these hundreds. You can only deal with so much crap before you just get up and leave. I thought this place was different than Sherdog...and it was, it was a community but as it grew the powers that be let one certain ding dong have too much say.

Lesson learned I hope.

Agreed, I actually started posting on Sherdog which I never thought id do for some of the reasons you listed.

Post #29   10/6/09 7:30:57PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2