Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Despite UFC 102 headliner, White reiterates no interest in five-round non-title fights

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If you thought Saturday's Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Randy Couture UFC 102 main event fight might have swayed Dana White to change his mind and allow five-round non-title fights in the UFC, think again.

Although the Nevada State Athletic Commission has officially opened the door for non-title five-rounders, the UFC won't be using the option.

White admits that while watching Nogueira navigate his way to a decision victory at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, Ore., he thought about it. But the purist in him wants to keep five-round fights strictly for championship bouts.

STORY

Post #1   8/31/09 11:25:23AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Post #2   8/31/09 12:03:24PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
I was at the nog vs couture fight and was praying it would change dana's mind, SOME fights need to be given the maximum time because of how legendary they are, like Nog vs Couture, Chuck vs Wandy and heck even Griffin vs Bonnar. I do not think it should happen often but if a fight is a headliner and people have been talking about it for almost a decade and it finally happens it would be WAY more satisfying if it was 5 rounds. I am not sure if every fighter would agree to five rounds for a non-title fight and they should get paid a little more if so. Especially these superfights between Anderson or GSP or BJ when they are not considered championship bouts but are still dream fights they should be longer.

Post #3   8/31/09 1:17:25PM   

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.

but why not make it better if the opportunity presents itself?

what percentage of 5-round fights goes to a decision? probably a pretty small percent. people want to see a submission, tko, or ko. some fights deserve to get the extra 2 rounds.

Post #4   8/31/09 1:17:45PM   

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:
I just read the quote from Dana. I think he's basing his opinion on the fact that all fights would be 5 rounds. That would just be absolutely ridiculous. PPV main events and title fights should be the only fights that have the 5 round status.

That's my side of it at least. I really don't care to see Ed Herman and Aaron Simpson fight for 5 rounds, but that's just me.

Post #5   8/31/09 1:22:27PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Dana made one good point about it on the post-event presser-if non-title fights are 5 rounds, then what should title fights be? 7 rounds? It kinda makes title fights not so special/important. At first I thought it was a good idea. Now, not so much.

Post #6   8/31/09 1:23:22PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Dana made one good point about it on the post-event presser-if non-title fights are 5 rounds, then what should title fights be? 7 rounds? It kinda makes title fights not so special/important. At first I thought it was a good idea. Now, not so much.

I think some non-championship fights are more important for history and more interesting than some championship bouts.

I think that is a stupid point made by Dana, there is no reason a championship fight would have to be more rounds that a superfight and I do not think 5 round non championship fights would come around that often. I also think only reasn they are warranted now is because the UFC brought Pride and the UFC together and is making these fights possible now and these types of instances will not happen as much now that the UFC is so dominant.

Another great example of when they should be is when champions fight at catch weights like if GSP vs Anderson was made. That is something that might persist for the history of MMA and I think 3 rounds in stead of 5 would not do those fights justice.

I am fine if it does not happen but I really think it should in special circumstances.

Post #7   8/31/09 1:56:48PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by DCRage

I think some non-championship fights are more important for history and more interesting than some championship bouts.

I think that is a stupid point made by Dana, there is no reason a championship fight would have to be more rounds that a superfight and I do not think 5 round non championship fights would come around that often. I also think only reasn they are warranted now is because the UFC brought Pride and the UFC together and is making these fights possible now and these types of instances will not happen as much now that the UFC is so dominant.

Another great example of when they should be is when champions fight at catch weights like if GSP vs Anderson was made. That is something that might persist for the history of MMA and I think 3 rounds in stead of 5 would not do those fights justice.

I am fine if it does not happen but I really think it should in special circumstances.

I agree whole heartedly.

Gotta spread the love though.

Post #8   8/31/09 2:15:14PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
IMO 5 round non title fights would be awesome. now imagine, if fights like Chuck Wanderlei, Couture Nog, and these quote "special fights" deserve a 5 rounder. now im not trying to say couture woulda won, but when u have both fighters who use to be champs, they should have a 5 rounder no matter what. They are epic fights that the fans were wating years to see, and at the time the fights were discussed, both were champs. im soundin a bit confused with my wording I kno but u guys understand where im comin from. Im not saying a fight like vera vs Kristoff should be a 5 rounder, but If you are a main event or even in some cases a co-main event, you deserve a 5 rounder.

Vitor vs Franklin deserves a 5 rounder. what are your thoughts?

Post #9   8/31/09 5:31:09PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Well first off it would not be fair to pick and choose what fights are to be 5 rounders......So all fights would have to be 5 rounds or only title fights........I would personally rather see 3 rd fights and get to see more fights then watch a 5 rd snooze fest.......If you start picking and choosing 5 rd fight's it's not fair to the fighters unless it was agreed upon prefight.....

Post #10   8/31/09 5:46:45PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wrona666

Well first off it would not be fair to pick and choose what fights are to be 5 rounders......So all fights would have to be 5 rounds or only title fights........I would personally rather see 3 rd fights and get to see more fights then watch a 5 rd snooze fest.......If you start picking and choosing 5 rd fight's it's not fair to the fighters unless it was agreed upon prefight.....

why would it not be fair? weird premise, well if you want a clear cut rule instead of "picking and choosing" you could make it every main or co-main event could be five rounds. Most headliners could arguably deserve five rounds. But I think pick and choosing what the fans demand is kind of how the UFC has been successful.

Post #11   8/31/09 5:52:05PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,509-1,360
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Good! It ruins the 5 round title fights, IMO.

5 round fights should be reserved for title fights....

Post #12   8/31/09 6:16:08PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
what i saw a couple nights ago, i am a believer of it now!!
what a match, i don't know how i get so lucky, but i have seen some big huge classic fights live this has been a very good year to me!!!

Post #13   8/31/09 10:55:08PM