Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

After earning fastest knockout in UFC history, Todd Duffee focused on different record

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

here we go again,
mma fans jumping on the band wagon!!

Did you read anyone's posts? Everyone in the thread said it is too early to tell how good of an all around fighter he is but that he put on an impressive performance. I don't see how this is jumping on a bandwagon.

Post #16   8/30/09 9:25:11PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Aether

here we go again,

Did you read anyone's posts? Everyone in the thread said it is too early to tell how good of an all around fighter he is but that he put on an impressive performance. I don't see how this is jumping on a bandwagon.

All I said was that the one punch we did see from him was damn near picture perfect. Here you have a couple of guys who know their stuff about MMA, one of them a guy who trains people for a living. Far from jumping on the bandwagon, but definitely giving credit where credit is due.

When I see someone who is that young with that clean of technique, I definitely get excited. To me, it means several things

1) That even though he's young, he's already learned to control his nerves and use proper technique. Which says something about his maturity level

2) That when someone puts in the time and effort to develop technique like that, they're taking this very seriously, listening closely to their trainers, and they're approaching it all with some humility.

By no means am I saying he's the next heavyweight champ, but yeah, absolutely, I get excited when I see a guy like that. He's got room to grow and he's taking it seriously. What is there to not get excited about?

Post #17   8/30/09 10:44:13PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

here we go again,

I going to basically repeat what Jackelope said and I'm think I'm the person Jackelope was referring to about being a trainer for a living (But I know I'm not the only one on here). I just want you to understand that no one was saying he is a contender or even a top 10 we are just saying he has potential of being a really good fighter. I was even picking Hague to win till I watched Duffee's fight with Assuerio and found out what camp Duffee he was with. Even if I never watched the Hague fight I would still say this guy has potential of being a really good fighter just from watching the Assuerio fight. In the Assuerio fight he slipped and got mounted and got his back taken, but stayed calm and didn't over extend himself which is hard to teach. It almost has to be something that fighters only learn with time and some never do. Then on top of that he was able to stop Assuerio with GnP to get the TKO win. Assuerio is tough as they come and has never been stopped by TKO other than a cut and its not like Assuerio hasn't fought tough guys before. He has fought tons of top level HWs at the time. To name a few you have Tim Sylvia (in his prime and Assuerio made him poop his pants), Brandon Vera, Cheick Kongo, Aleksander Emelianenko , and Alessio Sakara. If add the fact that he only had 3 pro fights before that it makes it very impressive. His stand up, wrestling, and GnP look very crisp. You add that all up and the fact that he is only 23 years old you get a fighter with great potential. Now will he be a top 10 HW? I don't know and no one really does at this point as we have yet to see him face what I would call a top 10 HW but he has the potential and the drive to go a long way. I just hope he doesn't get rushed as I would like to see this kid have time to build up his game even more. But I will say as someone that has been around and training in MMA (wrestling, BJJ, and boxing) for most of my life that if there is a up and coming HW fighter's bandwagon to jump on to it would be Duffee's

Last edited 8/31/09 5:49AM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   8/31/09 5:45:55AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
I really hope Joe Silva allows Duffee to build his skill throughout the Heavyweight division before throwing him into the ring with a real top contender.

This kid does have a LOT of potential, as per his crisp striking, and fierce approach.

My only worry is that the UFC has a flood of new Heavyweights coming into the organization with TUF beginning. And I hope Duffee doesn't get lost in that sea of heavyweight fighters. He needs time develop and that can only happen through big fights with solid competition.

I get the feeling Duffee will be sidelined for a while but I'm hoping the UFC will give him another mid range contender and then ideally I'd like to see him take a swing at Cro Cop (if he clears the Dos Santo fight.) Pipe dreams, I know...

Post #19   8/31/09 10:19:50AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
Best attitude i have seen in a long, long time. this kid has a very wise head on his shoulders and i really hope he becomes champion one day. MMA needs fighters with Duffee's attitude to help smooth over the mainstream media's resitance that people like Brock Lesnar only facilitate. Duffee earned a fan in me with these statements and by the way he acted post fight. kid is an absolute animal and has a class act to go with it.

Post #20   8/31/09 4:08:20PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2