Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

M-1 Global Breakthrough - Full Results

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:
M-1 Global Breakthrough Results

Fedor defeats Mousasi with an armbar and King Mo absolutely dominates Mark Kerr within the first 30 seconds of the fight. Where will King Mo fight next? We'll find out soon enough.

Post #1   8/29/09 12:32:40AM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,508-1,828
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I hated the whole thing, it was so bad, the most entertainment I got out of it was the couple of minutes they showed a shuttle launch.

Post #2   8/29/09 12:41:32AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I couldn't agree more...it was terrible....awful match making, the exhibition was damn near staged, and if I have to hear anybody say "dey-boo" one more time I'll shoot myself.

Post #3   8/29/09 12:54:10AM   

BDON911

MMA Regular

BDON911 Avatar

Career:495-323
Chips:
Here is the Fedor vs. Mousasi match

Fedor vs. Mousasi

Post #4   8/29/09 2:48:41AM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
That shuttle lauch was stupid, the best part was the Naku fight. I was suprised to see him stand up and bang it out. Other than that the card was a joke.

Post #5   8/29/09 3:11:29AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I didn't even know Mousassi was having an exhibition match against Fedor...and I'm usually real up to date on my MMA News...I work in an MMA store.

When the hell was that announced. Where was the news for that?

Post #6   8/29/09 6:31:49AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I hadn't heard about it either until I watched inside MMA. It was a pretty entertaining match.

I don't really see how the above poster thinks it was "damn near staged" it was an exhibition grappling match. It's basically like sparring in front of a crowd, of course they're not going to beat each other up, they have fights that they need to be healthy for and they aren't even in the same weight class. I don't know if you expected Fedor to come out and beat Gegard into oblivion or something but that's basically what an exhibition match is, they're just out there having fun and showing the crowd some throws and locks.

On a side note, Mark Kerr looks absolutely brutal. Wow. He looks more like an eating machine than a smashing machine.

Post #7   8/29/09 7:07:33AM   

deformative

Learning to Sprawl

deformative Avatar

Career:1,214-674
Chips:
This card lost its two most intriguing bouts with Frye and Thompson pulling out. I'm sure King Mo would have beat Frye pretty easily as well, but he still would have been a much better match up than Kerr (at least Frye can slug it out)... and Nick Thompson against Amoussou would have been a great fight.

Post #8   8/29/09 11:18:54AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Chips:
I was referring to the idea that Gegard had Fedor locked in a very tight omoplata, that he simply let go. Fedor didn't pull out of it, or even role out, Gegard simply let go, Gegard also had an armbar that he allowed Fedor to turn into and never cranked. No I didn't expect anybody to beat anybody up, or for Mousasi to try and break Fedor's arm or vice-versa, but when Fedor got his armbar sinched in he pushed his hips through immediately. That's all I meant, I posted something similar in the forums section, and acknowledged that it may just be a biased perception. I'm not the biggest Fedor fan, and feel like his promotions protect him at all times. That doesn't mean that he isn't a badass, he's at worste the number 2 p4p guy on the planet, I don't refute that, but the exhibition looked (to me) like Gegard knew not to crank that omoplata or armbar even a little.

Post #9   8/29/09 2:12:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I would be absolutely astounded if anybody ever submitted Fedor, a grappler for years upon years, with an omoplata. Usually even Brown Belts with a couple years worth of experience won't get tapped by an omoplata. It's better used for a sweep than it is a submission, and I'm sure Mousasi is wildly aware of that.

As for rolling out of the armbar- It's not like Mousasi ever had Fedor's arm fully extended. Fedor had his hands clinched and I doubt that Mousasi has the strength to compete with Fedor when it comes to that. Not to mention that by virtue of Fedor's main style- Sambo- rolling out of an armbar and transitioning body positions is exactly what he's trained for. Watch a Sambo competition and you'll see exactly what I mean. Those guys roll and flip over each other a hundred times over in one match. It looked like a textbook escape to me for both Jiu Jitsu and Sambo.

To cap all of that off- it was an exhibition match. So even if everything I said here is a lie it doesn't matter. Because the very definition of exhibition defines it as something other than a full on competition.

Post #10   8/29/09 2:19:20PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Chips:
Fedor is protected by his promoters and managment. That's why he's not in the ufc, that's why he fights the lower end of the top 10 or the higher end of 20-11 every fight. That's why he wasn't penalized for grabbing the ropes against linland, and that's why everybody can keep saying he's the best int he world. Now do I think Brock, big Nog, Shane Carwin, Gonzaga, ect....could beat Fedor??? NO! He is a savage I mean thats not to say that any of those guys wouldn't have a shot because when you fight that level or competition day in and day out you are bound to get beat, but he is clearly the best hw in the world, and yet his promoters and managment, and government insist on keeping him protected. If this was "Just an exhibition" and it didn't really matter, why not let Mousasi win the damn exhibition? I'll give you that the omoplats is typically used as a sweep, but if you watched there was no damn role, Gegard just let it go, he didn't even use the move. Fedore didn't move when Gegard had the armbar until Gegard picked his leg up over Fedor's head and the Fedor turned in. Yes, Sambo guys are crazy good with rolling out of subs, but you are talking about a jiu jitsu practicioner who has submitted world renouned black belts in subs like triangles.....he's not exactly a slouch himself. I'm sorry but I honestly believe that so long as Fedor is represented by m-1 he'll never lose a fight and not necisarily because he earns every win. All this from an exhibition I understand, but I'm not sure it works any different with his other fights. Why didn't Fedor sign with the UFC??? Because m-1 wasn't allowed to co-promote...??? I'm tellin you those guys have a lot of control over his competition even when it's an exhibition. Am I just biased? Is there any validity to any of that? Seriously I may just have one hell of a slanted opinion, but I feel like it's substantiated.

Post #11   8/29/09 2:46:12PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well in as much as you may feel you're right, and to an extent I do believe and agree with some disdain that M-1 protects its business asset (as would any company with any common sense) I would love for any person to walk right up to Arlovski, Lindland, or any other of Fedor's opponents and tell them that they took a dive.

I dunno, call me crazy but Arlovski sure pulled off being KTFO pretty well considering that he's not even an actor. I'm sure he'd agree with you wholeheartedly that he took a dive. Hell, he'd probably even want to be your friend and go out to have drinks with you after you told him that.

Like I said- I believe Fedor is protected by M-1 to a certain extent. I don't know if I buy into all this other stuff, though. I mean.. let's say Lindland had gotten the takedown on Fedor and the ropes were never grabbed. Then what? Would Lindland, a guy who isn't exactly known for vicious GnP TKO's, have GnP'd or submitted Fedor? Kind of doubtful IMO.

I think the answer is much more clear here. M-1 wants to co-promote, and the UFC doesn't. So M-1 has taken their ball and gone home.

Post #12   8/29/09 4:46:45PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
The King was awesome but poor competition for him

and I swear if anyone takes that Fedor-vs-Mousasi fight seriously, just leave this board please- it was an exhibition match, where no strikes were thrown and both men said it was light sparring and having fun..

Post #13   8/29/09 4:51:56PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
You didn't honestly think Gegard could've done anything with that omoplata did you? You must realize that Fedor and Gegard were both clearly allowing themselves to be put into locks without making any real effort to escape or avoid them, that's what an exhibition match is. Fedor could also have subbed Aoki in about 3 seconds if he really wanted to, but that would defeat the purpose of the exhibition, because they are there to put on a show for the fans, not to compete.

Gegard is also significantly weaker than Fedor, even if Gegard was trying to sub him he would most likely be able to power his way out of just about any sub attempt. Gegard may be a solid BJJ practitioner, but He isn't at the level of Big Nog in his prime, and we saw how easily Fedor shrugged all of Nog's sub attempts off.

I don't know. I think you misunderstand the purpose of an exhibition. They aren't intended to be trying to beat each other, they're there to put on a show and gain some exposure to help with their marketing. They're just playing around, both guys are clearly laughing and smiling the whole time.

Post #14   8/29/09 5:09:12PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
Good job King Mo, I really am liking this guy. I hope he gets some reasonable competition soon.

Post #15   8/29/09 5:13:15PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2