Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

While merge with WEC uncertain, White says lighter classes coming to UFC "probably real soon"

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I really like how they used the WEC to promote lighter weight classes. You see, what Zuffa did is that they worked hard with the WEC 145 and 135lb divisions. They made them mainstreme and popular by making then the centerpeices of the WEC promotion. Now that they are established and taken seriously however, the UFC can add those two weight classes to their shows with much fan aclaim.

If Zuffa had not taken the WEC route, and just inroduced teh 135 and 145lb weight classes directly to the UFC back in 2006, nobody would have cared. Nobody would have ordered the PPV for those title fights...most, if not all the fights would have had to have been preliminary fights or fight night broadcasts.

However, because UFC took the extra three-four years to build these divisions up, they will be immediatley met with much acclaim and respect, and the UFC will not lose any money...they will actually make money.

However, I do believe they should wait. After Benson vs Cowboy, they should merge the lightweight division...it makes no sense to have two. They should add a flyweight division, build that up, and in a year from now merge all three fly, batam, and feather.

Last edited 8/28/09 5:48AM server time by MMA-San
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   8/28/09 5:47:42AM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
I think it's a good idea to merge with the ufc.......and bring Pride back.........

a guy can dream

Post #17   8/28/09 7:36:31AM   

AO

MMA Regular

Career:480-289
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by ncordless

I am down. There are some great fighters in the lower weights that deserve the exposure and the $$ that the heavier fighters are getting. Might we see Aldo vs. Brown in the UFC?

The WEC now isn't really making much money and the lower guys don't get near the exposure they should be getting. But I think we loss a MMA promotion but over all I think this a is big step for the lower weight fighters and a bonus for fans that don't know about the lower weight classes. Plus I think this will pull some of the big name lower weight class guys from over seas.

I like the 170 to 135 more than I do the up weight classes. Now that's not to say I don't enjoy watching the bigger guys I just like watching the little guys even more. The funny thing is I'm a HW and in no way could ever make anything lower than that. I'm 6'3 right now (I was 6'4 and half till had back surgery) and walk around at 250 and that's when I'm in shape. Now I have put on some weight because of back problems but I'm far from fat. I'm just a big guy and always have been.

What on earth do your physical attributes have to do with moving divisions from wec to ufc? did you just wake up? :)

Post #18   8/28/09 10:45:51AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
here they say no to be like boxing but by merging wec with ufc that is what is gonn happen, i like ufc but i don't wanna pay for 2 pay per views a month, and i may be the only guy who likes the lighter weight classes in a other organization to seperate the two... i say keep wec as it is, add fly weight and female division,

Post #19   8/28/09 11:48:35AM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
adding feather and Bantam doesn't make the UFC like boxing...boxing has like 18 divisions at every 5 pounds it seems...plus there are a ton of promotions with their own champs so there are 100 champs floating around...the UFC is becoming and will be THE undisputed king of the weight classes...love it or hate it it doesn't matter...thats the way its going...over in Japan they may still survive autonomously but (save for Fedor) if someone wants to prove they are the best they will end up in the UFC.

I am/was looking forward to the Flyweights coming to the WEC and I hope that still happens cuz they mentioned doing a tournament to crown the first champ...if it happens in the UFC first that would be cool..they could make a season of Ultimate Fighter based around it...as well as FW and BW

And 3 fights a month is F'ing awesome...a ppv, a fight night on spike, and a decent card on a network would be great...now multiple ppv's a month would suck and I don't think they will do that anymore than they do now...though I could be wrong...

P.S.-- Brown v Faber 3 for the inaugural UFC featherweight championship

Last edited 8/28/09 3:27PM server time by sclasclemski
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   8/28/09 3:25:56PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by AO

Posted by telnights

Posted by ncordless

I am down. There are some great fighters in the lower weights that deserve the exposure and the $$ that the heavier fighters are getting. Might we see Aldo vs. Brown in the UFC?

The WEC now isn't really making much money and the lower guys don't get near the exposure they should be getting. But I think we loss a MMA promotion but over all I think this a is big step for the lower weight fighters and a bonus for fans that don't know about the lower weight classes. Plus I think this will pull some of the big name lower weight class guys from over seas.

I like the 170 to 135 more than I do the up weight classes. Now that's not to say I don't enjoy watching the bigger guys I just like watching the little guys even more. The funny thing is I'm a HW and in no way could ever make anything lower than that. I'm 6'3 right now (I was 6'4 and half till had back surgery) and walk around at 250 and that's when I'm in shape. Now I have put on some weight because of back problems but I'm far from fat. I'm just a big guy and always have been.

What on earth do your physical attributes have to do with moving divisions from wec to ufc? did you just wake up? :)

Did you even read my post? Spend a little more time reading and little less replying and maybe you will understand people's post.

Post #21   8/28/09 4:38:41PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2