Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Penn vs. Sanchez targeted for UFC's third show in November; White hints at new broadcast deal

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
PORTLAND, Ore. – The recently rumored UFC lightweight title fight between current champion B.J. Penn and challenger Diego Sanchez will happen this fall according to UFC president Dana White, but it won't happen in England.

At today's UFC 102 pre-fight press conference in Portland, Ore., White said he was working on a deal that would see the organization host a third event in November.

And while UFC 105 will air on SpikeTV on Nov. 14 and UFC 106 will be seen on pay per view Nov. 21, White said the potential new date won't be viewed on either platform.

Link

Last edited 8/27/09 8:40PM server time by ThaAxeMurderer7
Edit note/reason: Fixed Link

Post #1   8/27/09 7:33:07PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i doubt it, he should just have it in england

Post #2   8/27/09 7:35:24PM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:857-609
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Sanchez is gonna knock Baby Jay out!

Post #3   8/27/09 7:49:04PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
the link takes me to the site map..

Post #4   8/27/09 7:50:43PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
So essentially Penn vs Sanchez on ABC, NBC or HBO. Or Fox. Not a fight night and not UFC 107. Does this sound right?

Probably a few more networks in the US.

Post #5   8/27/09 8:19:16PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
CW right after gossip girl and one tree hill

Post #6   8/27/09 8:26:32PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

the link takes me to the site map..

Sorry about that. This should work Link

Post #7   8/27/09 8:32:30PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Chips:
I actually think this makes perfect sense. We all know Fedor is going to be fighting in November. I bet the UFC is planning on putting on 3 events during November and counter programming with a replay of another event on the other Saturday during the month. I hope Fedor is fighting on the Saturday when they are showing the replay. However you look at it, the fans win if this scenario plays out.

What do you guys think about the new broadcast deal?

Post #8   8/27/09 8:45:40PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I actually think this makes perfect sense. We all know Fedor is going to be fighting in November. I bet the UFC is planning on putting on 3 events during November and counter programming with a replay of another event on the other Saturday during the month. I hope Fedor is fighting on the Saturday when they are showing the replay. However you look at it, the fans win if this scenario plays out.

What do you guys think about the new broadcast deal?

It sounds great. I don't know what station they are having the deal with. Maybe HBO, or some big station like that. All I know is, it's going to be huge for the sport. I mean can you imagine if it was on Fox or ABC that would be amazing. I think your right, they are trying to counter this Fedor thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Dana schedules Penn vs Sanchez on the same day as Fedor vs Rogers. If that does happen, I don't know about you guys but I'm watching Penn vs Sanchez.

Last edited 8/27/09 8:52PM server time by Irish_Pride
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   8/27/09 8:52:02PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well I wouldn't be shocked by an HBO deal since Showtime is starting to promote MMA HBO will want to one up Showtime. I really hope this is true because I have HBO and need a reason to justify keeping it to the wife other than just True Blood.

Post #10   8/27/09 9:10:41PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Would a network deal mean a end to the PPV's? I'm unsure as to what this means and any clarification would help. Props may even flow!

If that is the case why would the UFC consider it? Wouldn't they make more money from PPV's or can the networks compete with the profit they make from each event?

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #11   8/27/09 9:29:51PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
No a Network deal would not effect PPV. There is no way a network deal could match the money the UFC makes on PPVs. That is why big name boxers left TV long ago and none of them have ever give up the big money to come back to TV and eventually led to the down fall they are experiencing in viewers now.

The average UFC now draws 500K buys. Thats 25 million in revenue. Then they can rebroadcast the event on Spike and get a few hundred K in ad revenue(commercials).

Even if the UFC event on network TV was the most watched show period on TV. It would be very hard for them to get 25 million. And thats the average PPV.

The UFC will use the network event like they do Fight Nights on Spike. Just a way to build young fighters fanbase and encrease the number of people who buy the PPV.

Post #12   8/27/09 9:43:16PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Chips:
I think the only 2 real possibilities for a TV deal are 1) ESPN or 2 HBO.

ESPN is the best choice and the most likely. ESPN has had a recent increase in MMA coverage using its shows like PTI, Around the Horn, Mike and Mike, etc. They have the resources with the above mentioned shows and ESPN radio to make many of the UFC fighters household names and make the UFC events across the board an even bigger success. Also it was mentioned a while back that an ESPN Exec was sitting ring side at UFC 100 with Dana White. Add to that ESPN has signed on to show the UFC in the UK. With 1 deal in place its not a stretch they went right to work on a US tv deal.

HBO. I see this as not very likely. HBO has always been dependant on boxing. I feel the last negotiation breakdown was due to their demand of control so they can use MMA to boost their boxing product which they would reap much more benifit from than any deal with the UFC. The only reason i feel they may change their tune and give the UFC a favorable deal is Stikeforce being on Showtime. Showtime is a direct competitior with HBO and that pressure of being left behind in the sport of MMA may have lit a fire under them.

1 last thing. An aspect that makes HBO more likely is the UFCs deal with Spike. I dont know what the current deal is. But at one time their contract prevented them from signing with any other cable TV network. This would include ESPN but not HBO as it is a premium network or any of the Broadcast networks like NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox. So unless their current contract is different or they have got permission from Spike a deal with ESPN may not be possible.

Post #13   8/27/09 9:56:51PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

No a Network deal would not effect PPV. There is no way a network deal could match the money the UFC makes on PPVs. That is why big name boxers left TV long ago and none of them have ever give up the big money to come back to TV and eventually led to the down fall they are experiencing in viewers now.

The average UFC now draws 500K buys. Thats 25 million in revenue. Then they can rebroadcast the event on Spike and get a few hundred K in ad revenue(commercials).

Even if the UFC event on network TV was the most watched show period on TV. It would be very hard for them to get 25 million. And thats the average PPV.

The UFC will use the network event like they do Fight Nights on Spike. Just a way to build young fighters fanbase and encrease the number of people who buy the PPV.

Dana has said many times in the last year that he would still put some big fights on TV, since that's one of the things that he hated about boxing. Also, Zuffa only gets a 40% share of the PPV revenue, so that 25 instantly becomes a 10.

Post #14   8/27/09 10:18:32PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Chips:
I didnt say he wouldnt put on big fights. He has put on big fights on Spike. Like the Tito vs Ken fight. That was a big money fight. But from what i have read. The net works want Big time PPV level events on TV. Not just a few good fights. And the networks arent willing to pay the UFC want it would take for the UFC to be willing to put a big event on TV.

If the UFC is going to put on big events on network TV. That network will have to put some effort into it. It wont happen if the network tries to go by cheaply. The UFC wants Prime Time money and i dont believe the networks are willing to pay that.

Keep in mind my first post was an answer to someone who asked it it was the end of PPV. I didnt say the UFC would give us bum fights but network TV can never match the PPV revenue. Your right on the 40% PPV cut. But that is still closer to 15 mill not 10. Even at 15 million which is just the average run of the mill UFC PPV. NOt the blockbuster 1 million buy events they do. It would still require the UFC to be able to draw a 10+ HH Ratings share to warrent that kind of money. 10+ rating would be almost impossible to achieve for a sport that mostly appeals to males under 40 years old. I dont see a network putting that much into a product that hasnt proved to pull those kind of numbers.

The UFC will put big fights on free TV as long as fighter pay stays affordable. The more fighters make the more watered down all cards become. IF it gets like boxing purses then Free TV wouldnt pay well enought for the UFC to put on a big PPV draw.

Last edited 8/27/09 11:01PM server time by Brain_Smasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   8/27/09 10:56:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2