Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia discussion

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

juggernautakira

MMA Regular

Career:519-347
Camp: Super Karate Monkey Death Car
Chips:
I came in thinking Maia is a definite win with this, but with other input from other forums, that is NOT the global opinion.

So, being as one of the favorites members here, I thought Id ask what you guys thought about this one and why.

Post #1   8/26/09 12:37:38PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I think its foolish to think Maia is a definate win. He has a shot to win but how you can say definate confuses me.

Post #2   8/26/09 12:42:24PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:
I agree, Nate's the kind of guy you either outstrike or outgrapple but you don't outdo him in both. All I can say is Maia isn't the striker that Nate is at all

Post #3   8/26/09 1:00:54PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,827-991
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

All I can say is Maia isn't the striker that Nate is at all

To be fair though, Nate isn't the grappler that Maia is at all either.

I think Nate is awesome, super well rounded, a beast of a man and a classy individual.

But I'm on the Maia bandwagon, and he basically won me over after the 3 round battle at UFC 87 with Jason MacDonald...

The lines have Maia at +125 to +140 at some books, which is about 2.25-2.4 to 1 on the money... I was going for Maia from the start, and I'm not going to change my mind.

WAR MAIA!

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #4   8/26/09 1:05:27PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:

Posted by KaibaThedon

I think Nate is awesome, super well rounded, a beast of a man and a classy individual.

But I'm on the Maia bandwagon, and he basically won me over after the 3 round battle at UFC 87 with Jason MacDonald...

The lines have Maia at +125 to +140 at some books, which is about 2.25-2.4 to 1 on the money... I was going for Maia from the start, and I'm not going to change my mind.

WAR MAIA!

Totally agreed on the grappling part, I'm a fan of Maia as well. But I just think Nate's experience might be the clincher

+140 really? I'm surprised he's that below on the lines. I would be thinking he would be +100 or so

Post #5   8/26/09 1:12:22PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
i just read Sherdog's breakdown of this fight and here is a quote from it:

The difference maker this time around will be Maia’s wrestling, as Marquardt struggles to keep him at bay before learning the same lesson Chael Sonnen learned against Maia -- some of these jiu-jitsu guys have that wrestling stuff pretty well figured out.

i think Maia's only shot to win this fight is to take Nate down and submit him but they think Maia has good enough wrestling to get Marquardt down? are you kidding me? Marquardt will be able to keep this fight standing and pick Maia apart for a TKO.

Post #6   8/26/09 1:15:34PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by copcopps

Posted by KaibaThedon

WAR MAIA!

Totally agreed on the grappling part, I'm a fan of Maia as well. But I just think Nate's experience might be the clincher

+140 really? I'm surprised he's that below on the lines. I would be thinking he would be +100 or so

agree with you on the grappling as well but I don't know if maia is the wrestler marquardt is. that's 2 out of 3 for marquardt, that's my pick, uses his wrestling to keep the fight standing

Post #7   8/26/09 1:32:09PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KaibaThedon

We all knew Maia could submit MacDonald, given enough time...problem is Jason didn't implement a good game plan and basically gave the fight away. Maia didn't impress me as much in this fight as others, because his opponent played to his strengths, instead of his weaknesses.

Post #8   8/26/09 1:46:10PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
The differences in the advantages for both fighters sways toward Marquardt heavily.

Marquardt is a much much more advanced striker than Maia
Marquardt has the massive advantage in size
Marquardt is years ahead of him with wrestling
Maia's BJJ is only a step or two ahead of Nate's.

People tend to forget how "great" of an overall grappler is. He is a black belt under Ricardo Murgel. Nate has enough experience and training to know what to and not to do against someone of maia's caliber

Maia's ONLY chance is to sub Nate where as Nate can use wrestling to UD Maia

EDIT: I dont want to argue the point, but long time wrestlers with training in BJJ have been extremely dominant against long time BJJ practitioners learning wrestling

Last edited 8/26/09 2:03PM server time by mkiv9secsupra
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   8/26/09 1:58:40PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I highliy doubt Maia will be able to take him to the ground. Nate is way bigger, stronger, and explosive. I think Nate can keep this on the feet, and win by either tko or a decision.

WAR MARQUARDT

Post #10   8/26/09 2:00:18PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
As i said in another post Maia is a lefty which is tricky for some fighters to deal with. I think Nate is a great all around fighter but i dont think he is going to know exactly what he is dealing with grappling wise until its too late. Maia is a crafty dude that makes Black belts look bad which is saying alot plus he knows how to use his BJJ in an MMA fight probably better than anybody. Maia 2nd RND Sub

Post #11   8/26/09 2:28:06PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i just can't pick against maia
if he losses at least i'll know it was a solid pick for me with no doubt

Post #12   8/26/09 2:53:56PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by KaibaThedon

We all knew Maia could submit MacDonald, given enough time...problem is Jason didn't implement a good game plan and basically gave the fight away. Maia didn't impress me as much in this fight as others, because his opponent played to his strengths, instead of his weaknesses.

Funny thing is Jason hung with Maia for a long time on the ground. Nate is a 2nd degree blackbelt I agree Maia is better on the ground too but I think If it goes to the mat it isn't a death sentence for Nate.

Post #13   8/26/09 5:03:12PM   

Jiu-Jitsu101

MMA Regular

Career:128-107
Chips:
i think Maia's only shot to win this fight is to take Nate down and submit him but they think Maia has good enough wrestling to get Marquardt down? are you kidding me? Marquardt will be able to keep this fight standing and pick Maia apart for a TKO.

Your funny. Obviously you have not watched Maia fight. I know Marquardt is an outstanding fighter but you are completly delusional if you think that Nate will be able to stop his takedowns. You should probably learn Brazilian Jiu jitsu then talk about what Maia can and cant do. I say 80% chance that Maia wins this fight. He could get knocked out going in for his shot it happens. If it goes to the ground at all its over for Nate.

Post #14   8/26/09 5:52:50PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
I actually am willing to give Maia a chance. I think he could take it. It won't be easy, but then again, I just don't think much of Marquardt after the Thales fight.

Post #15   8/26/09 7:22:36PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4