Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Real Reason Dana White Declared War On Strikeforce!

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,355-1,244
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Did the UFC president, Dana White declare war on Strikeforce because Strikeforce landed Fedor Emelianenko when the UFC couldn’t?

I doubt it, although the issue may have exacerbated Dana’s distaste of Strikeforce. The UFC’s failure to sign the world’s best heavyweight must have been humiliating, even though Fedor’s decision to go with Strikeforce was blameless on all sides.

STORY

Post #1   8/25/09 10:49:28AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I hope this is a blog, not a paid writer. Pretty long, rambling, poorly written article that doesn't really make any kind of valid points. It's like a jumble of random facts and opinions inter-spliced with borderline illegible sentences.

lol.

Post #2   8/25/09 11:47:07AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,393
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Agree with Aether, that article was very poorly written.

Post #3   8/25/09 11:50:51AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I didn't know about the tourney is that true if so Mr Coker

Post #4   8/25/09 12:12:15PM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:
From what I see, the UFC declared on war on Strikeforce because they did sign Fedor. They signed Fedor, they are trying to turn into a major promotion, and they are going to do PPV's. Before Strikeforce played the roll of a small organization, and the UFC was okay with this. But as soon as they started to try and blow up, the UFC does not like this competition.

Post #5   8/25/09 12:49:56PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,083-1,171
Chips:
Bottom line is, Strikeforce is trying to establish itself as a promotion of it's own. The UFC is by far the most notorious one at the moment and well there doesn't need to be any other reason why there's a so called "war" between the UFC and Strikeforce... they are competing promotions trying to reach the same goal. That's why Dana white declared "war" on Strikeforce, to stay at the top.

Post #6   8/25/09 12:55:49PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The problem is that one major organization is better for the sport and better for the fans. Having B leagues or minor leagues is good. Having multiple competing organizations with top talent is bad. The only way the fans are guaranteed top fights is if there is one organization with all the top talent. I thought this should have been obvious to everyone after the Pride FC vs UFC days, if not to current dilemma with Fedor. I don't care if its the UFC or any one else but I want one top organization. Dana has been the most effective in growing his brand and has the largest chance of winning. Its Scott Croker and Fedor and Gegard M. (whatever) and all the other opponents of the UFC that are hurting the sport. Not Dana White.

Post #7   8/25/09 1:24:47PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

The problem is that one major organization is better for the sport and better for the fans. Having B leagues or minor leagues is good. Having multiple competing organizations with top talent is bad. The only way the fans are guaranteed top fights is if there is one organization with all the top talent. I thought this should have been obvious to everyone after the Pride FC vs UFC days, if not to current dilemma with Fedor. I don't care if its the UFC or any one else but I want one top organization. Dana has been the most effective in growing his brand and has the largest chance of winning. Its Scott Croker and Fedor and Gegard M. (whatever) and all the other opponents of the UFC that are hurting the sport. Not Dana White.

x A Million

Post #8   8/25/09 1:40:57PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
is thats a high school paper?

Post #9   8/25/09 2:07:43PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,755-1,746
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I believe that the pyramid structure is the only way for us to see the top fighters fighting each other. It sucks because in normal businesses this simply does not work (auto ind, food ind, health care ind, ect) but in sports it does. There is only 1 NFL, 1 NBA, 1 NHL, 1 MLB, 1 NASCAR, ect....in boxing (which is all messed up right now) it's not that way, and there in lies it's problems as a sport. I don't want those problems coming to MMA, and there will if there are to many outside (other than UFC) organizations trying to establish themselves as something other than a UFC farm league.

P.S. Horrible article, poorly written, limited factual information, highly opinionated to only one side of the argument. Even says some things about Dana that to me are just plain ridiculous....(amazing I know)

Last edited 8/25/09 2:55PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   8/25/09 2:55:00PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Any article that doesn't blindly praise Dana White is terrible?

Post #11   8/25/09 3:41:16PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,436-789
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Any article that doesn't blindly praise Dana White is terrible?

That's not the case at all. Its terrible because the writer is very much rambling and not making any true valid points. Lets say its just a opinion piece for a sec. Even as such its still very poorly written and its trying to blend in his opinion as fact.

It’s understandable that UFC fans prefer the UFC; they may even be exclusively pro-UFC. After all, the UFC model calculatingly laces its production design with a pro-wrestling brand of artificial anger and combative philosophy and atmosphere to specifically target that all-important 14 to 28-year-old consumer, (18-34 if you believe the PPV age-group stats… which I don’t). And the scheme works flawlessly.

So the UFC is the pro-wrestling of MMA but StrikeForce is true MMA? Its also insulting to MMA Fans and to the sport to say the largest promotion is about artificial anger.

Dana is not interested in the growth or improvement of the sport of MMA, but only in the success of his enterprise: the UFC. It is that product and its related widgets which his advertising panel is peddling. Dana White appears to preserve his UFC under a fortress compound-like protection and separate from the sport that is MMA. Additionally, many feel that the UFC had a hand in what they perceived as rival organizations.

Yet again presenting his opinion as fact. We get it you don't like Dana and the UFC but as a fan he comes off more like a Anti-MMA person than a fan of the sport. What I like about this is he says Dana only cares about the UFC as if Scott Coker is the GOD of MMA and he cares about the sport more than the growth of his company. He even says Scott is a visionary as if he is doing more for MMA than anyone else. Last I checked Scott wouldn't even have a job if it wasn't for the growth of the UFC helping the growth of MMA in North America.

Post #12   8/25/09 4:41:00PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Pride and the UFC got along fine, and hey, they even co-promoted.

Does anyone here really believe Strikeforce will be an A-league like the UFC? if they are theyre kidding themselves. People shouldnt be threatened that SF will take over, it will more than likely always be a B-league.

EDIT: I also agree with downunder that I really dont think dana has "declared war" on SF more less hes just promoting the UFC like saying fedor is "scared." He knows that isnt true, he knows Fedor cant really do anything about his contract its just his way of turning the fans against Fedor until he eventually signs after the M-1 contract is up, which im certain he will. And when he does, watch how much dana's tune changes "the best p4p ever" etc.

Last edited 8/25/09 4:55PM server time by EvenFlow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   8/25/09 4:52:59PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,546-901
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I see what you mean,but I also think this idea is wishful thinking.
The problem is top talent emerges all the time.
Having all the talent in one organization may seem like a good idea,but what happens is it quickly gets overcrowded.
Some guys get overlooked in the mix and don't get their rightful place in the limelight.
Not to mention,when their's more competition that means we are more likely to get a better product all around because their is competition to fight against.
If your fighting against no one,you might tend to slide by on a few things.
I agree that multiple top organizations might not be a good idea,but at least one other top org I think is always a good thing.

Post #14   8/25/09 5:52:49PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,436-789
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by bjj1605

I see what you mean,but I also think this idea is wishful thinking.
The problem is top talent emerges all the time.
Having all the talent in one organization may seem like a good idea,but what happens is it quickly gets overcrowded.
Some guys get overlooked in the mix and don't get their rightful place in the limelight.
Not to mention,when their's more competition that means we are more likely to get a better product all around because their is competition to fight against.
If your fighting against no one,you might tend to slide by on a few things.
I agree that multiple top organizations might not be a good idea,but at least one other top org I think is always a good thing.

Not that I agree with the first post but the problem you speak of happens in all sports. Some guys get overlooked that maybe great players. This happens all the time in all sports. Let me give you a good example. There was a show on Spike called 4th and long. Some of the guys that were on that show were better than a lot of starters on a lot of NFL teams but those players got over looked by the system. There is no way around it sometimes your good players get over looked.

Now as far as one promotion idea I don't think is what we need at this time. But in a few years I think it would be best for the sport. But right now MMA is still growing so more orgs means the more it grows and the more main stream people will see it. But after it gets to its peak the more we need it under one promotion. That way it doesn't run in to the same problem Boxing has now. Boxing is hard for fans to follow because it has so many belts and so many weight class. It confusing to your avg fan and because of this a lot of times you don't always end up with the best fighting the best. Your avg boxing fan cant tell you who holds which tittles and who holds that tittle in each weight class. Even most of your hardcore boxing fans cant do this.

Post #15   8/26/09 3:49:06PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2