Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Belfort doesn't want to fight Silva, but Silva would not mind

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link

Vitor Belfort isn’t that high on an opportunity to challenge Anderson Silva for his 185-pound crown. He’ll do it, but it’s not an ideal situation to compete against a fellow Brazilian and someone who he considers a friend. However, Silva has remarked that Belfort is not his friend, but someone who he respects and is willing to fight without reservation if called upon. “The Phenom” is the latest addition to the UFC middleweight class and someone who company president, Dana White, would like to see earn a title shot to one day challenge “The Spider.” Before that can happen, however, both fighters need to take care of other business — Belfort is set to battle Rich Franklin next month and Silva is penciled in to take on Dan Henderson before year’s end. Are Belfort and Silva on a collision course, whether they like it or not?

Post #1   8/22/09 5:21:34PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Belfort is scared!

Post #2   8/22/09 5:43:46PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Anderson is acting a bit odd on this one-Vitor trained with Black House for quite awhile and was/is pretty tight with those guys.Maybe Anderson is just pissy that Vitor left to train with Randy?

Remember,Tito wanted Vitor to help him train for Machida,and Vitor turned him down due to Machida being a friend from his Black House days.

I think Anderson is probably up for the fight,as the UFC brass probably wouldn't put up with him saying no to another fight due to "friendship".

And I don't think Vitor is scared of Anderson-the guy wanted to fight Fedor on a week's notice for cryin out loud!

WB.

Post #3   8/22/09 6:07:54PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
somebody is scurred

Post #4   8/22/09 7:11:04PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,316-1,241
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Anderson seems like a cocky mofo

Post #5   8/22/09 9:39:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
i dont think it will happen.

Post #6   8/22/09 11:03:33PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:982-640
Chips:

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Anderson is acting a bit odd on this one-Vitor trained with Black House for quite awhile and was/is pretty tight with those guys.Maybe Anderson is just pissy that Vitor left to train with Randy?

Remember,Tito wanted Vitor to help him train for Machida,and Vitor turned him down due to Machida being a friend from his Black House days.

I think Anderson is probably up for the fight,as the UFC brass probably wouldn't put up with him saying no to another fight due to "friendship".

And I don't think Vitor is scared of Anderson-the guy wanted to fight Fedor on a week's notice for cryin out loud!

WB.

my thoughts pretty much. Its kinda funny that Silva says the same thing about Paulo Filho and few people were criticizing Silva But when Belfort says the same thing people wanna say he is scared. The guy is trying to show some respect. Weird thing is now that this topic has been brought up, the UFC now has a story to twist around into a possible feud.

Post #7   8/22/09 11:33:30PM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Why everyone getting pumped about this if the reports are right Anderson wants to step up weight after the Henderson fight.,He only 3 fights left on his contract 1 against Hendo and the other 2 will probs be at 205.Well unless he fights GSP @ 185 and i hope he does cause i so want to see GSP smashed up.

Post #8   8/23/09 3:44:44AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This "I'm not gonna fight him cause he's a former training partner" or "friend from back in the day" is getting real old. You are fighters, this is your job. Sometimes you have to do things in your job you don't like. In this case, if it calls for it, you have to throw down.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #9   8/23/09 11:56:11AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
My hunch is that Anderson knows he can't say, I will not fight "insert name" too many times. I assume he has Machida high on his list and most of the other guys, while he might prefer not to fight, are acceptable compromises to the emerging "rule" of fighting training partners.

Post #10   8/23/09 12:13:12PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:

Posted by kopower

This "I'm not gonna fight him cause he's a former training partner" or "friend from back in the day" is getting real old. You are fighters, this is your job. Sometimes you have to do things in your job you don't like. In this case, if it calls for it, you have to throw down.

I totally agree...they need to seperate friendship from the competition...respect is one thing but the fans want to see the best fight...and if the best all happen to be friends well then they need to learn to put their friendship aside for 15 - 20 minutes.

Post #11   8/23/09 12:55:35PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

My hunch is that Anderson knows he can't say, I will not fight "insert name" too many times. I assume he has Machida high on his list and most of the other guys, while he might prefer not to fight, are acceptable compromises to the emerging "rule" of fighting training partners.

I think he knows he can only use that with so many times and I have a feel Machida is much higher on his list than Belfort is. I havent heard Silva say much about Belfort but he talks about Machida all the time. That in itself shows he is much closer to Machida. I like Belfort but I don't think he can beat Anderson.

Post #12   8/23/09 1:16:43PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by Rush

I think he knows he can only use that with so many times and I have a feel Machida is much higher on his list than Belfort is. I havent heard Silva say much about Belfort but he talks about Machida all the time. That in itself shows he is much closer to Machida. I like Belfort but I don't think he can beat Anderson.

You guys really think Anderson is at all concerned about upsetting the powers that be? He doesn't strike me as that type of person at all, and he has no real need to worry about getting dropped from the UFC even if he refuses to fight "friends". UFC is not going to let Silva go and risk having 2 of the 3 top fighters in the world fighting outside the UFC. Silva holds all the cards in that relationship. I have no doubt that Silva will never be afraid to say who he will and won't fight and there is not much the UFC can do about it besides complain and even that they can't do too much. Anderson does seem to have a somewhat thin skin when it comes to criticism. That mixed with his constant talk of retirement and vacating the MW belt has to have the UFC worried that they may lose their top fighter if they do not keep him happy.

I think this has more to do with Belfort's falling out with Blackhouse. There is a long history of Brazilians turning on former teamates who have moved somewhere else.

Post #13   8/23/09 1:31:55PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

You guys really think Anderson is at all concerned about upsetting the powers that be? He doesn't strike me as that type of person at all, and he has no real need to worry about getting dropped from the UFC even if he refuses to fight "friends". UFC is not going to let Silva go and risk having 2 of the 3 top fighters in the world fighting outside the UFC. Silva holds all the cards in that relationship. I have no doubt that Silva will never be afraid to say who he will and won't fight and there is not much the UFC can do about it besides complain and even that they can't do too much. Anderson does seem to have a somewhat thin skin when it comes to criticism. That mixed with his constant talk of retirement and vacating the MW belt has to have the UFC worried that they may lose their top fighter if they do not keep him happy.

I think this has more to do with Belfort's falling out with Blackhouse. There is a long history of Brazilians turning on former teamates who have moved somewhere else.

The answer to your first question, yes, I think it is something that he needs to realize that in order to solidify his legacy (and that seems to be to challange fighters at LHW and HW) he needs to get the ok from the guys that pay his wages. I agree the UFC wants to keep him happy, but at the same time I get the sense that Silva knows that he will only go so far (legacy wise) fighting fighters that are not at the top of the division (i.e. top 3 fighters are likely his targets).

As for Belfort and Blackhouse, I don't think that can be generalized and must be taken on a case by case basis. This is considering most of the top fighters have trained at some point with several orgs including Chute Boxe, BTT and Black House. If all it took was to leave a fight camp to be enemies, they should all be enemies with each other.

Post #14   8/23/09 2:07:48PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I truely belive that Anderson would fight a friend but he wouldn't fight a current everyday training partner. If you move on to a new camp the training bond is no longer there. I have trained with alot of guys, right now I have about 8 guys that are my team and I wouldn't fight. All the other guys who stop in and train here and there and bounce from gym to gym, sure their friends but if put in the ring with me then we put friendship aside for that fight. But the 8 guys I train everyday with there is no way I would fight them.

Last edited 8/23/09 2:57PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   8/23/09 2:55:31PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2