Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir: Fedor Emelianenko Is Ducking Top Fighters in UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When Frank Mir owned the UFC interim heavyweight title, he always made clear that he didn't believe his own belt made him the best heavyweight in the world: Mir, like most MMA observers, said that Fedor Emelianenko is the top heavyweight. But now Mir's opinion has changed.

Asked on the DAM Show why he thought Fedor had chosen to fight for Strikeforce instead of the UFC, Mir echoed UFC President Dana White and others who have suggested that Fedor isn't interested in proving himself against UFC champion Brock Lesnar and the other top fighters in the UFC.

STORY

Post #1   8/21/09 11:05:51AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I'v always had the same out look as everyone else about Fedor, he's always been the best in the world but I'm actually starting to think Fedors number 1 spot might start to slip.
Theirs no one in Strikeforce for him to fight that is worthy of him keeping his spot at the top.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   8/21/09 11:46:08AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,252-1,525
Chips:
I agree with some of what Mir had to say. I think there is more to it than ducking the best competition but I do think that plays into it somewhat.
As Mir mentioned...in the UFC Fedor would have to fight Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar etc
I think Fedor what put Cain away with a punch, but I think Carwin could possibly knock Fedor out.
Lesnar is a tough call. If it stays standing for any length of time I see Fedor putting his lights out. However I think Fedor fears the ground game of Lesnar. At least his size and skill combo. Frank Mir is a very big man and a ground fighting wizard...and Brock tied him up and beat him like a child. Mir could do nothing. Fedor may find a way out of that situation he may not. I do think Brock is in Fedor's head a tad bit.
I think Couture is also in Fedor's head. I have always had the impression Fedor has been avoiding Couture.
Personally I think "something corrupt" is keeping Fedor out of the UFC.
Just a theory though.
When Fedor Emelianko is the UFC Heavyweight Champion...he will be number 1...until then we just don't know.

Last edited 8/21/09 12:49PM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/21/09 12:47:39PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,739-929
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Well, he can beat up cans forever, or he can prove himself and face the toughest guys at that weight class.

I think he wants to beat up the cans.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #4   8/21/09 1:26:30PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:
frank can cay what he wants, he was also saying alot of trash about brock too before there fight. but on here to say that fedor is afraid of brock on the ground?? to say he keeps fighting cans?? while he has had some freak show opponents, that dont mean that they all were garbage. he just destroyed 2 very recent UFC heavyweight champs in what under 4 minutes? im not saying he would destroy everyone in the ufc, but he has earned #1 heavyweight title and is far from ducking randy couture!!

Post #5   8/21/09 1:48:17PM   

UFCmma666

MMA Regular

UFCmma666 Avatar

Career:228-138
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

frank can cay what he wants, he was also saying alot of trash about brock too before there fight. but on here to say that fedor is afraid of brock on the ground?? to say he keeps fighting cans?? while he has had some freak show opponents, that dont mean that they all were garbage. he just destroyed 2 very recent UFC heavyweight champs in what under 4 minutes? im not saying he would destroy everyone in the ufc, but he has earned #1 heavyweight title and is far from ducking randy couture!!

well then why exactly does he not come to the ufc i just dont know if hes interested in actually being the best i think hes happy with looking devastating against not so formidable opponents just my oppinion

Post #6   8/21/09 1:59:09PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Ducking like a bobblehead

Post #7   8/21/09 2:24:12PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
Why should the best hw fighter on the planet , ranked number 1 the last 6 years , go out of his way to fight "number one contenders" . Anyone who wants to be the best , needs to pursue the fight like randy couture did .

Post #8   8/21/09 3:05:15PM   

Shadymlm

MMA Regular

Shadymlm Avatar

Career:27-16
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I agree with some of what Mir had to say. I think there is more to it than ducking the best competition but I do think that plays into it somewhat.
As Mir mentioned...in the UFC Fedor would have to fight Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar etc
I think Fedor what put Cain away with a punch, but I think Carwin could possibly knock Fedor out.
Lesnar is a tough call. If it stays standing for any length of time I see Fedor putting his lights out. However I think Fedor fears the ground game of Lesnar. At least his size and skill combo. Frank Mir is a very big man and a ground fighting wizard...and Brock tied him up and beat him like a child. Mir could do nothing. Fedor may find a way out of that situation he may not. I do think Brock is in Fedor's head a tad bit.
I think Couture is also in Fedor's head. I have always had the impression Fedor has been avoiding Couture.
Personally I think "something corrupt" is keeping Fedor out of the UFC.
Just a theory though.
When Fedor Emelianko is the UFC Heavyweight Champion...he will be number 1...until then we just don't know.

I agree but you should really use spell check, it's Afredor

Post #9   8/21/09 3:15:03PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
If the UFC HWs really wanted to fight the best they wouldnt have signed with the UFC. Fedor and Barnett have been the 2 best HWs for a while now. Mir just wants to hype himself,

Hey UFC fighters if you really want Fedor you have EVERY opportunity to sign a one fight deal after your current contract is up with a rival organization! BUT i doubt any of them will, which tells me THEY are scared.

The #1 doesnt flock to challengers, the challengers flock to the #1.

Post #10   8/21/09 3:38:52PM   

fizz

MMA Regular

fizz Avatar

Career:1,865-966
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Well he stil have some non-cans to bash!

Allistair Overeem
Sergei Kharitanov
Fabricio Werdum
Jeff Monson
Brett Rogers(altought im totally against this)
Blagoi Alexandre Ivanov(If he the fight with Aleks hapens and he win)

when he will have fight those few non-cans then he will have to get to UFC!!

He has a 3 fight deal with strikeforce so expect the Overeem/Werdum/Rogers to be in strikeforce but i think he will fight at Yerronaka this year either Monson/Kharitanov or Ivanov!

Did Mousasi ever mention he dont want to fight fedor(either then an exibition match)

I think he will hold up another 2-3 years to get in the UFC and do what everyone else did... Go to the UFC after there 35 years old and on the down side of his prime!

Mir will get KTFO by Kongo!!

Post #11   8/21/09 3:45:33PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
yeah well, he also said that Forrest Griffin was the best stylistic matchup to beat Anderson Silva.

I don't really pay much attention to the things that come out of Frank's mouth anymore.

Post #12   8/21/09 4:08:00PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,243-813
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Why should the best hw fighter on the planet , ranked number 1 the last 6 years , go out of his way to fight "number one contenders" . Anyone who wants to be the best , needs to pursue the fight like randy couture did .

Exactly

its a 2 way street.

why is fedor the one always having to pursue competition.

hes the champ.if they want to knock him off than go out and fight him.

hes proved himself already..again...and again...and again

Post #13   8/21/09 4:17:42PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Chips:
so does that mean that Mir was ducking the top fighters when all the best HWs were in PRIDE and he was in the UFC?

Post #14   8/21/09 4:49:39PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,394-765
Chips:
I'm going to be the bad guy here. I agree Fedor can do what he wants but as long as he avoids fighting in the UFC a large number of people are going to think the same way Mir does weather some of you like it or not. Weather its because of Co-promotion or not its still avoidance of the top organization in the world.

Post #15   8/21/09 6:48:57PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2