Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Josh Gross: Anderson Silva Wants to Fight at Heavyweight

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by StorminYourman

I am stoked for this!
I say let the man challenge himself.
He could win the super Hulk touney if he was involved!

I'm with you. the guy cleaned out the MW div then made a former champ at LHW look like an little kid (forest is also one of the biggest LHW too). let anderson test some HW. Plus if he loses maybe it will be good for him. But i could see him winning though. Also i think he wants Mir cause Big Nog lose to him

Post #16   8/20/09 6:07:51PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Then drop the MW title if you're not motivated to fight the people deserving of a title shot there.

This is exactly how I feel. Not only that but I for one think that Hendo has earned his rematch. He has won his last three fights and did the TUF show, what else does a guy have to do. All he can do is fight the fights that the UFC gives him, if Anderson wants a challenge then give up the belt. Let the winner of Maia vs Marquart fight Dan for the strap.

Post #17   8/20/09 6:20:21PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
He could easily beat lower end HWs and also 220lb range ones like Couture.

This is a new option for him and one to get Dana off his back over fighting Machida. I think he should fight GSP though

Post #18   8/20/09 7:04:00PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

Posted by Shawn91111

Then drop the MW title if you're not motivated to fight the people deserving of a title shot there.

This is exactly how I feel. Not only that but I for one think that Hendo has earned his rematch. He has won his last three fights and did the TUF show, what else does a guy have to do. All he can do is fight the fights that the UFC gives him, if Anderson wants a challenge then give up the belt. Let the winner of Maia vs Marquart fight Dan for the strap.

To a point I believe this too. A guy like Silva has never been in MMA really. He is a challenge to almost any guy so why should he hold a title to a division he cleared out? Vacate the title and do get as many challenges at different weight classes as you can such as
GSP at maybe catchweight
Couture
Mir
Rampage
Evans
Ortiz
ect.

He can always come back to the division and be worthy of an immediate title shot.

Post #19   8/20/09 7:09:43PM   

bdunn

Learning to Sprawl

bdunn Avatar

Career:624-441
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
Forget going up go down one weight class and fight gsp and make some real money

Post #20   8/20/09 7:30:16PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

SI.com confirmed that Silva's representatives had spoken with Zuffa about the heralded UFC middleweight champion moving up to heavyweight for the first time in his career.

Dont see where it says anderson wouldn't be willing to fight middle weight contenders . He most likely wants the mir fight to evenge Nogs loss . UFC doesnt want anderson knocking off number 1 contenders for machida . Just more " news" bs taken out of context .

I think if Big Nog wants the loss to Mir avenged he should do it himself!

Post #21   8/20/09 7:42:45PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
GSP first, then
Maia/Marquardt winner
Forget about Hendo, same outcome will happen.

Then he can start thinking about the higher end LHW's. He still has some work to put in before he even thinks of fighting heavyweights.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #22   8/20/09 7:45:22PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Let Anderson fight wherever he wants to fight.

I say stick him in there with Cro Cop and see if he can dumby a former K-1 GP winner. If he gets by CC, start giving him the big boys.

Post #23   8/20/09 8:58:06PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,486-770
Chips:
i thought this might happen, and i think it makes sense if hes not gonna fight Machida then he shouldn't knock off 205 contenders, a move to HW should suit him as he gets up to 225-230 in between he MW fights and he would be a favorite against Mir if he dose end up fighting him

Post #24   8/20/09 9:07:42PM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:
Anderson vs Couture/Cro-Cop/Mir in Dec or Jan.

Post #25   8/20/09 10:19:47PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think he would do pretty well at heavyweight, but big wrestlers like Brock would put him on his back and lay some heavy GnP. He's still fast enough to dodge strikes thrown by pretty much any HW striker, so he still poses the same problems at HW, just to a lesser degree.

I wouldn't mind seeing this, but I want him to just make up his mind and pick somewhere to fight already.

Post #26   8/20/09 10:25:51PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
Silva chose Mir because he knows Mir can't take punishment. Anderson would put Mir on "queer" street and knock him out within the first minute or so. In my eyes Anderson has become a little too arrogant. Let him fight some heavyweights...if he whoops them then maybe he really is that good...If he doesn't...we all get to see him go down. Personally...I think he would tear up most of the heavyweight division.

Post #27   8/20/09 10:41:45PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,338-1,248
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Seriously, Anderson comes off like such a punk sometimes.

Post #28   8/21/09 12:37:40AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Let Anderson fight wherever he wants to fight.

I say stick him in there with Cro Cop and see if he can dumby a former K-1 GP winner. If he gets by CC, start giving him the big boys.

I agree, I think would be a good fight and he should be able to fight at whatever weight class he wants.

I think he could beat a lot of the HW's out there. I even feel he could beat CC soundly because of his speed and power. CC has been slowing down and his last fight he was telegraphing almost everything. I dont think this is a very good fight for Mir at all, 2 big reason's for this.
1. Mir lacks the stand up to hang with Anderson for any amount of time.
2. Mir lacks the take downs to put Anderson down.
I see this either being a very long slow fight with Anderson getting the win or very short fight with Anderson getting the KO.
I would even have a hard time picking Lesnar over him. But Lesnar has the tools to win but Anderson is so crafty about finding ways to win or exploiting fighters weaknesses. He beats a lot of fighters at the very thing they are strongest at. I don't think anyone should count him out at any weight class. I also think he could come in bigger in size and weighing more than some of the smaller HW guys out there.

Post #29   8/21/09 12:51:06AM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:

Posted by Hendo67

Why Mir? seriously, why not someone who will give Anderson trouble like Lesnar, like Velasquez, like Cro-Cop...

Why Mir? he just got throttled...

velasquez cro cop, i hope your joking?

Cain got rocked everytime kongo touched him, he was lucky kongo has no ground game otherwise he would have been beat, and crop cop he may be a great striker but anderson is to fast for him. brock is the only one i see giving him a problem just because of size. if he got the takedown it might be over.

you have made me laugh sir

Post #30   8/21/09 1:22:37AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3