Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

AFFLICTION VP ON NEGOTIATING WITH M-1 & FEDOR

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When the negotiations between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and M-1 Global, which represents Fedor Emelianenko, broke down last month, there weren't too many fans or critics surprised by the fact that the Russian wouldn't compete in the Octagon any time in the near future.

The sticking point to the entire process was M-1's demand to co-promote with the UFC, and the UFC has always had a strict policy to not co-promote with other organizations. At the end of the day, no agreement was reached, and Fedor went on to sign with Strikeforce.

STORY

Post #1   8/20/09 8:24:15AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I hope Strikeforce can pull this off and the UFC has some legit competition, but with Fedors PPV draw being so weak and his wage plus M1's cut of the profits I'm really struggling to see how Strikeforce break even.

Fedor is the best HW in the world hands down but he isn't marketable in the U.S yet. Strikeforce haven't got the fan base or the promotional push to make him a big enough draw to make this work in opinion. They would need to start pulling in around the same numbers for PPV buys as the UFC in order to pay the other fighters and the costs that come with running the promotion and they haven't got enough high profile fighters to do that.

Its a shame but I think M1 will drag Strikeforce under and then limp on until Fedor's career and name isn't enough to keep the company afloat anymore.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   8/20/09 8:38:52AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Fedor is the best HW in the world hands down but he isn't marketable in the U.S yet.

Agree. And without the UFC, I don't see him EVER being that big of a draw.

Post #3   8/20/09 8:43:28AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well if they pulled that stuff they were pulling with Gegard (paying him only $2gs ) then wouldn't that save them on the big Fedor price while building him up. I mean it's no secret that M-1 is shady!

Post #4   8/20/09 1:34:43PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
As great as Fedor is,he's just hard to market,yet with his skill set,M-1 demand sa pretty penny,and a lot of other extra weight for any promotion to sign him.

I'm starting to even wonder how well Fedor would even be promoted within the UFC.
I'm certain they would be the best at promoting him,but the whole western culture just doesn't seem to mesh well with him.

Post #5   8/20/09 2:14:23PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,323-880
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I hope Strikeforce can pull this off and the UFC has some legit competition, but with Fedors PPV draw being so weak and his wage plus M1's cut of the profits I'm really struggling to see how Strikeforce break even.

Out of interest, what exactly is Fedor's dollar deal with Strikeforce?

Post #6   8/20/09 2:16:53PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Just sign with the UFC already jeeeeeesus.

A list of UFC fighters I would like to see Fedor fight:

Cheick Kongo

Cain Velasquez

Shane Carwin

Gabe Gonzaga

Frank Mir

Randy Couture

Brock Lesnar

I think all of these fights would be huge draws, especially with the UFC being able to promote all of them. I mean come on, no other organization has that many heavyweights that would be good fights for him. There's no debating it. Who else is there? Barnett... Antonio Silva...thats about all I can think of.

Post #7   8/20/09 9:11:14PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by SmileR

Out of interest, what exactly is Fedor's dollar deal with Strikeforce?

I think I read somewhere it was basically the same as with Affliction. So it'll be around $30,000 per fight plus a share of the PPV sales and M1 will also take a slice of the overall profit which Fedor will get some of as well. I'll have a look about and see if I can find the exact terms.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #8   8/21/09 7:37:49AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Silva is amazing and hard to promote. Low key, doesn't speak English and decimates competition. I think he got a serious buzz off his latest KO of Griffin. That's good and well deserved BUT I've seen Fedor do that OVer and OVEr and OVER. He's VERY explosive and has finished tons of fights.

Post #9   8/21/09 6:07:37PM