Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce's 205 Pound Problem

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When I watched Gegard Mousasi blow through Babalu Sobral on the Strikeforce show I was relieved to see that the promotion was getting another star created on what amounted to a huge show. Now with the news that Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is on his way to the UFC the realization is setting in for me that Mousasi has nobody to fight. There is talk that Showtime is going to be running 12 MMA cards in 2010 which means that Strikeforce needs their champions to headline cards with some regularity.

STORY

Post #1   8/19/09 1:15:41PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,175-1,292
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
Strikeforce needs to pick up Filho and Arona before UFC does..

Then they could atleast have

Mousasi vs Southworth
Mousasi vs Arona
Mousasi vs Filho

And after that....they are screwed haha.

Then bring em all to the UFC! (Except Southworth)

Post #2   8/19/09 1:22:35PM   

DaMaGeInC

MMA Regular

DaMaGeInC Avatar

Career:1,246-813
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
if filho would have done well in the wec he would have went to the UFC instead he put together 2 horrible fights in a row. he needs to work on his striking big time and you think he would be good at it with a mike tyson tattoo on his arm. The UFC has do do everthing in its power to pouch Mousasi from strkeforce and dream

Post #3   8/19/09 2:30:23PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,175-1,292
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:

Posted by DaMaGeInC

if filho would have done well in the wec he would have went to the UFC instead he put together 2 horrible fights in a row. he needs to work on his striking big time and you think he would be good at it with a mike tyson tattoo on his arm. The UFC has do do everthing in its power to pouch Mousasi from strkeforce and dream

I agree Filho missed a shot at fighting in the UFC already..but he looked to be focused and in shape again aggainst Manhoef and walked through him pretty easily...so hopefully he is back and ready to fight again.

Post #4   8/19/09 2:55:08PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Filho is a beast and had a bad outing or two , it happens , I would love to see him in the ufc but this topic is about Mousasi and theres no other place for him other then the ufc so he has 3 fights with strikforce? 2 left then and I dont know who he is going to get to fight but I'm sure theres some amazing 205ers out there that arn't or haven't fought for the big 5

Post #5   8/19/09 4:22:54PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I wrote this in another thread but I think Strikeforce's only hope @205 is to start holding Bellator style tournaments to build up contenders from unknowns...use the Challenger series for the early rounds and then put the finals on showtime the winner getting a crack at Moussasi...with Dream being able to occupy him some of the time this gives SF a little bit of time to find someone to throw in there with him...but bottomline is he needs to be in the UFC

Although I do like the thought of him moving to Heavyweight with Strikeforce to test the waters there alittle more...at least that would give him some TV time

Last edited 8/19/09 5:02PM server time by sclasclemski
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/19/09 4:59:47PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
the top 10 light heavy in the world are all in the ufc now, have fun finding any 205 pounders worthy of a title shot

Post #7   8/19/09 6:40:52PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Gegard needs to come to UFC point blank. But as for Strikeforce I don't know if theres much they can do. All the talent at 205 is in the UFC. There's a few options to fight Gegard out there. But the talent is thin.

Post #8   8/19/09 6:43:14PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Travis Lutter, Dean Lister...Matt Lindland moving up...there will always be options...its good, Moussasi will be able to 100% perfect his trade before his UFC run.

Post #9   8/19/09 7:03:48PM   

fizz

MMA Regular

fizz Avatar

Career:1,881-973
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Why i dont see any mentions of Raphael Calvancante here ... Hes a BEAST STILL!!

YEah he got KTFO by Kyle but who cares this guy is still one fight away from a title shot IMO!!

I oredict him submiting Jared Hamman and then geting the title shot...

Post #10   8/19/09 7:04:47PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Filo was out of shape at 185 now you want him at 205 not going to work.

Post #11   8/19/09 11:59:09PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well lets looks at some of the ones people have listed.

Lutter - Is a MW that couldn't make it in the UFC at that weight class. He also hasn't fought in over year 04/08. He also has conditioning issues. So dont see how him fighting at LHW would make for a real challenge for Gegard. He would be a b-level LHW at best. Isn't even a top ten MW which is much tinner weight class across the board than LHW.

Lister - Another MW who wasn't very large for MW. Lister lacked striking and good take downs. He would also be a B-level LHW. Now I know he has fought at LHW but was very small for the weight class. He also hasn't fought in almost a year. Also like Lutter he wasn't even a top 10 MW.

Lindland - Hasn't looked very good in a while. Lacks striking just like the 2 above. Also just like the 2 above is a MW that isn't even ranked in the top 10. He is also coming off a huge KO loss to a MW.

Southworth - Yes he is a LHW but is a b-level fighter at best. He is also coming off to a loss to the very same guy Gegard just beat in 1 min.

Arona - He is the best true LHW fighter on this list but the fact that he hasn't fought in over 2 years tells us something is wrong. His last fight was to a guy that got beat by the same guy Southworth lost to and that guy is Sobral and we know how his last fight went down.

Filho - Has some major issues in his life and hasn't looked good in 2 years now. He also has been out of shape for a while now. He was a great fighter at MW but hasn't shown anything close to that in a long time.

So out of 6 fighters 4 of them listed are MWs. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy watching some of these guys fight but doesn't make any of them true top level LHW and don't see any of them ever breaking in to the top 10 at LHW.

It really is a shame that Gegard is stuck in SF for a while because he is at that point right now I think he could really take off with the right fights it just none of those fights are in SF. Fighters have a short window to truly become great and I think his time in SF is taking away from that.

Post #12   8/20/09 12:38:13AM