Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White Meeting Resistance on Teammate vs Teammate Fights in the UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Dana White talked to CBS Sports and touched on the controversial teammate vs teammate point, Anderson Silva disagrees:

"It has nothing to do with friendship," White said. "It's about seeing who's the best."

Silva has been ultra-successful in his two forays to the 205-pound weight class. Neither of his two opponents -- Forrest Griffin or James Irvin -- made it past the opening round. To White, Silva's winning streak makes the fight inevitable.

STORY

Post #1   8/19/09 8:29:45AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
It's unfortunate that the fans will not get to see certain fights because of friendships....

(I think Anderson's winning streak would come to an end if he fought Lyoto.)

Post #2   8/19/09 8:52:43AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Nate Marquardt was on Pro MMA Radio this past Monday and he came right out and said they (teammate vs. teammate fights) will never happen. Pretty soon push will come to shove and it's gonna come to "take it or leave it", meaning you fight your teammate or you fight elsewhere.

Post #3   8/19/09 9:01:35AM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I dont blame anybody who wouldnt want to fight against a teammate. Not only for what it does to the fighters personally but that kind of thing could actually tear apart a team or gym. Coaches and training partners are forced to choose also. The whole thing is bogus. There is so many fights that they could put together insted of Silva vs Machida. I for one hope that it never comes down to it.

Post #4   8/19/09 9:40:04AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,450-1,133
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I would fight my own brother. And kick his *ss.

Post #5   8/19/09 10:15:52AM   

Menard_StC

MMA Regular

Menard_StC Avatar

Career:1,052-623
Chips:
I don't want to see teammate vs. teammate. Chances are one of BOTH will not fight to the best of thier abilities...

Forcing guys to fight thier friends will just lead to BS like worked fights, guys taking dives, etc... not to mention guys who train with each other know everything about thier games.

What happens when training camp starts? Who leaves to train elsewhere? How is that decided? Will it negatively effect the guy who suddenly needs a new camp?

Post #6   8/19/09 10:28:48AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I support fighters not fighting teammates in all circumstances other than title fights.

If you ever turned down a title shot being offered because you wont fight a teammate, as an org owner I'd cut you immediately.

Are we going to get to the point where only 1 guy from each camp can be in an org? As camps like Greg Jacksons, Extreme Couture, and American Top Team get bigger there becomes fewer and fewer fights to be made without putting 2 teammates in there together.

Post #7   8/19/09 10:48:16AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,646-884
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I don't like the thought of having to fight your team mates...

I don't think its fair, and as previously stated, it could tear your team/gym apart.

If it comes to 'fight your team mate, or fight somewhere else' and they choose to fight somewhere else, now you just lost some premium fighters for nothing.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #8   8/19/09 2:41:52PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Really? He's meeting resistance? Go figure

Some of you guys are right on in your assessment of why teammate vs. teammate is a bad idea. Other guys must not have a clue about what it is like to put in hours and hours of effort alongside guys and then have to be asked to fight those same guys. You're talking about threatening the very fabric of what makes a team. How is that cool?

People say they'd fight their own brother or kick their own mom's ass. OK, that's fine. That's you. Why should everyone else have to conform to your standards? Maybe some people value their relationships greater, or seek a different kind of motivation than you do when taking a fight? There's a million factors at play here. To insult their "manly" nature by promoting your own willingness to fight those whom you care about does nothing for many people. (Myself obviously included)

Not that it really matters to the UFC who is running a completely successful business, but I've been steadily losing my interest in MMA as the respect and tradition disappears. When fights become about bottom lines, $ signs and brutality that's when I'm out. For right now I'm still proud of people like Wanderlei Silva, Jon Fitch, Demian Maia, Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva who fight for more than those two things. Respect, honor, tradition, loyalty- These are a large portion of what it means to be a martial artist. The sport has come so far and has become so refined both in technique and the ruleset. Do we really want to go back to the days when bar brawlers and tough guys ran the sport? If so, I'm out.

Post #9   8/19/09 3:08:37PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
Im split down the middle on this. First off it should be training partner vs. training partner not teammate, this isnt M1 challenge or the IFL. Look at it from the ufc's point of view they are in the game to make this a great sport and do anything to achieve that goal and they know as should the fighters that this IS NOT a team sport. They just want to put together the best fights possible to further help the sport grow it is not thier fault so and so happen to train together, again this IS NOT a team sport. Dont get me wrong I would be torn about fighting someone im close to but that would be my problem not the promotions and I would have to suffer If I chose not to. Lets not forget that this isnt a street fight it is infact a sport and when you step into the cage your mind set should be it is a "match" not a fight in the sense that there is something personal, remember thats what makes it sport not "**** fighting". There are plenty of guys on different football, hockey, baseball, basketball teams that are friends and yet they go head to head in competition. If guys are getting close to where they might have to fight one another I think whoever is focused and determined to further their career should choose a different gym, I for one would be in it for myself because I know when I step into that cage to throw hands noone is going to help me but myself and the "teammate" concept goes right out the window.

Post #10   8/19/09 5:43:52PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
some things we just are not supose to know

Post #11   8/19/09 6:10:08PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I'm split on this also. I can see friends don't want to fight friends. Especially since the train together.

But, there athletes that get paid really well to give us entertainment. I think eventually its going to come down to you fight each other or fight elsewhere. I'm pretty sure if it comes to that there going to fight each other. There not going to lose there big paycheck because of it.

Post #12   8/19/09 6:37:35PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Teams have fragility in the sense that every DUDE in the gym can be on a "team" in an individual sport when they know that the other guy has their best interest at heart and will help him---and he'll help back. If you have super competitive guys fighting each other, it's different.

That said, I think that it is very possible that the brazilian attitude may be very different than the American due to culture. I would fight my own friend and training partner---even though they would know my tells, my weak areas, my strengths, dislikes, discomfort areas, etc... because to me competition is just that. I'm not emotional about competition other than an extreme desire to win. When it's done I can let it go. Some guys can't and that is bad for teamwork, training, and friendships.

I would like to see Vitali v. Vladimir in a fight. I would like to see Lyoto v. Silva or Diaz v. Shields but it's THEIR choice. Who am I to demand that of a fighter if they don't feel comfortable with that or they are out there fighting tentatively so as not to hurt their friend? Can't see it.

Post #13   8/19/09 7:31:33PM   

Bumpy

MMA Regular

Bumpy Avatar

Career:792-598
Chips:

Posted by scobac

Im split down the middle on this. First off it should be training partner vs. training partner not teammate, this isnt M1 challenge or the IFL. Look at it from the ufc's point of view they are in the game to make this a great sport and do anything to achieve that goal and they know as should the fighters that this IS NOT a team sport. They just want to put together the best fights possible to further help the sport grow it is not thier fault so and so happen to train together, again this IS NOT a team sport. Dont get me wrong I would be torn about fighting someone im close to but that would be my problem not the promotions and I would have to suffer If I chose not to. Lets not forget that this isnt a street fight it is infact a sport and when you step into the cage your mind set should be it is a "match" not a fight in the sense that there is something personal, remember thats what makes it sport not "**** fighting". There are plenty of guys on different football, hockey, baseball, basketball teams that are friends and yet they go head to head in competition. If guys are getting close to where they might have to fight one another I think whoever is focused and determined to further their career should choose a different gym, I for one would be in it for myself because I know when I step into that cage to throw hands noone is going to help me but myself and the "teammate" concept goes right out the window.

That is the way I see it, its not a team sport. Its just you and the guy standing in front of you when you enter the cage. The only real problem here should be the training camp issue and not have any thing to do with, its my friend, or teammate.

Post #14   8/19/09 8:07:12PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
Individual sports

I hate to say it but maybe fights should be presented like they are in boxing to avoid this garbage. boxing has alot wrong but alot right, would explain how they stood the test of time. this is a very tough issue to debate.

Post #15   8/19/09 9:27:12PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2