Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Do you think Matt Hughes should retire?-POLL

Print  
Should Hughes retire and when ?
He should just retire right now 10 18%
He should fight Hallman then retire. 15 27%
See how he does in his next fight then decide 20 36%
Fight as long as he can , screw possible legacy damage 10 18%
He's just in it for the money now 0 0%
Hughes can win the belt back from GSP 1 2%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

adamsb

MMA Regular

adamsb Avatar

Career:531-352
Chips:
i think he should get one more shot at Hallman matt is a way better fighter now then he was back in the day the i think he should retire win or lose

Post #16   8/19/09 11:35:12PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I think your abosutely right, he should fight Hallman and retire. I think Hallman would be a great last fight because Hallman beat him twice, and beating him would be the best way to go out because I'm pretty sure that'd feel not as much but close enough to feeling as good as winning the title avenging those defeats. I'd only want to see him rematch Serra if Serra could beat another top 10 guy which I dont think can be done with the great fighters in the top 10 today. But I think one more fight to go out on top and avenge that defeat. Any other fight and your right, he'll look like Chuck getting beat down by guys on their way up. Younger, faster, even stronger guys. All Hughes has really now on anybody is big fight experience, I think everybodies wrestling has caught up to him except unless he fought somebody like Hardy, Lytle or Davis. Kos and Fitch I think would beat him down just as bad as GSP because I think they would out wrestle him and then what will he do? I agree he can still be a top 10 but top 5 I took him out a long time ago with the losses and lack of fighting. and hes only getting older. But I dont think its just for the money though. I can see if he got a huge confidence boost after the Serra fights and thinks he could have a few more good fights left him but the most probable brutal truth is that that was probably the best he'll ever look again except maybe against Hallman which Im sure he can beat him though. Love watching Hughes old fights, those sick amazing slams. And would hate too see him look like Chuck even though I'd love to see the Fitch/Kos fights if it wouldnt damage his legacy or if they werent one after the other like Chuck getting beat badly one after the other. Would hate to see him go down like that, rather would see him take the high road out against hallman.

Post #17   8/20/09 11:45:07PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
No.

I wanna see him fight Koscheck, Fitch, Karo and Johnson first. The only one of those fights I think he'd win is against Karo, but the others would be good fights if you ask me.

And on a side note, did anyone else find they liked Hughes a lot less after they read his book? He came across as the same arrogant dick he's always kind of been.

Post #18   8/26/09 12:35:13AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't know, sometimes as a fan you feel like you want a fighter to retire because you like them and you feel like seeing them fight too long sullies their legacy. My view on this issue though has always been that the fighter is a grown man and it's up to him to make his own decisions. If Shamrock wants to fight 500 pound obese men in small organizations, well, good for him if that's what he wants to do.

It's understandable that seeing fighters get old leaves a bad taste in our mouths as fans, but ultimately I don't think it's anyone's place to tell someone else when they should retire unless that person is a medical doctor.

Last edited 8/26/09 1:20AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #19   8/26/09 1:18:19AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
i dont think he should retire.

if he can focus and get in superb shape.i can still see him as a top WW.

but on the same note.i really cant see him winning the title again.

Post #20   8/26/09 2:25:32AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2