Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Weekend Results: Fred Ettish Puts Demons to Rest

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It took over fifteen years, but UFC 2 competitor Fred Ettish notched his first career victory over the weekend at a local card in Brainerd, Minn.

The 53-year-old Ettish, who faced ridicule in his previous and only MMA fight, forced submission Saturday by pounding out the much younger and heavier Kyle Fletcher at 3:20 of the first round at a Cage Fighting Xtreme event promoted by UFC welterweight Brock Larson.

Ettish (1-1) entered the fight seeking redemption for a 3:07 loss at UFC 2 in March 1994.

STORY

Post #1   8/17/09 1:42:25PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Good for him.

Post #2   8/17/09 1:55:27PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
thats nice for ettish, but further down it mentioned that drew fickett lost yet again and this time in under half a minute. a couple of things on that:

1) when a guy off the street thinks he can hang with MMA fighters all you have to do is cite drew who was world class at one time and now cant seem to get a win against anyone and it shows how good of shape these guys have to be in and how hard they have to train to be successful.

2) drew might be the saddest figure in MMA. between substance abuse, a poor attitude, and in turn, relationships with promoters, and the seeming lack of training and intensity hes shown lately he has had as big of a fall from grace as anyone this side of tank abbott, except that tank was really never much more than a brawler. i really feel bad for the guy, even if his problems are in part created by himself, because i cant imagine how hard it would be to go from being so good at your job to being as bad as hes been lately. im really hoping he just stays out of the cage for awhile and gets his life back together, but i know he has bills to pay and that probably just isnt possible without fighting at this point. if anyone in the fight game ever needed the support of his friends and family its this guy, his tailspin has been jawdropping.

Post #3   8/17/09 2:33:04PM   

Menard_StC

MMA Regular

Menard_StC Avatar

Career:1,052-623
Chips:
I didn't know Fickett had substance abuse issues, but that explains a lot for sure.

He was a very talented fighter.... and I agree with everything you said about how pathetic and sad it is that he routinely gets beaten by these no-name guys in these tiny promotions. Quite the fall from grace.

Post #4   8/17/09 3:35:46PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Had no idea that Boetsch was cut from the UFC.

Post #5   8/17/09 5:25:39PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:

Posted by Menard_StC
I didn't know Fickett had substance abuse issues, but that explains a lot for sure.

He got yanked from a Rage in the Cage main event not too long ago because he showed up to fight drunk.

Post #6   8/17/09 5:31:58PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
This is what makes him feel better about himself? Pathetic.

The guys manned up and entered back in the day when noone knew what to expect. Even Bas Rutten tried to talk Ken Shamrock out of doing it because there was no rules. Ettish did it. Even though it was probably due to the brain washing/false confidence his TMA give him. But now everything is alright because he had one of his buddies set up an event for him to fight on. He himself has been preparing for 15 years but knew he was fighting for a while now and as of a few days ago he didnt even have an opponent. By looking at the fight you can tell the guy was clueless, out of shape, and probabley dont even train to fight and has never fought before. On top of all of that he took the fight on short notice.

Im glad Ettish feels better about himself for beating this guy took with all the cards in the deck stacked against him.

Why didnt he just set up a fight in his school or go stand at the local bar every night if beating someone unskilled in a meaningless fight meant so much to him.

Post #7   8/17/09 5:56:02PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Brain_Smasher,
You obviously aren't familiar with the Fred Ettish story.

Fred Ettish

That guy has had a monkey riding his back for 15 years.Nobody has gotten more crap for a loss than he has.And he wasn't even supposed to be fighting that night!!!

WB.

Post #8   8/17/09 6:28:06PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
WAR ETTISH!

Post #9   8/17/09 6:45:00PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Chips:
I know very well the Ettish story. I was part of the MMA forums back in the day when tools would hound him. Adcombat.com (ADCC) back in 1997. People made fun of him and Ranger Stott and the RIP fighting style. But you have to be a mental midget to do what he did. Maybe he should have entered a kids division since it was so important that he feel good about himself.

He didnt prove his TMA to be useful. He didnt prove to be a good fighter. He didnt prove anything. He stacked the deck to build his confidence. Noone ever said Ettish couldnt beat someone. This fight changes nothing about him. When it come time to prove his art and himself verses another man and his art he got humiliated. So he gets his buddy to find him a fish so he can "prove" something. Whats next? He going to push an old woman out of here wheel chair?

Post #10   8/17/09 7:42:04PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

I know very well the Ettish story. I was part of the MMA forums back in the day when tools would hound him. Adcombat.com (ADCC) back in 1997. People made fun of him and Ranger Stott and the RIP fighting style. But you have to be a mental midget to do what he did. Maybe he should have entered a kids division since it was so important that he feel good about himself.

He didnt prove his TMA to be useful. He didnt prove to be a good fighter. He didnt prove anything. He stacked the deck to build his confidence. Noone ever said Ettish couldnt beat someone. This fight changes nothing about him. When it come time to prove his art and himself verses another man and his art he got humiliated. So he gets his buddy to find him a fish so he can "prove" something. Whats next? He going to push an old woman out of here wheel chair?

youre out of line man, he got into the cage and fought a younger, larger opponent so it wasnt like everything was totally stacked in his favor. you are one of the most abrasive people ive come across on here and have on numerous occasions put down fighters and tried to belittle other posters. chill out and quit being "that guy" because its a tired act. we're here to talk mma and getting in the cage > 12 years of posting no matter how good THAT makes you feel or what your years of posting PROVES to yourself. FYI, im not going to ban you because i disagree with you or dont really like you in general, so as long as you dont break forum rules im fine with whatever you have to say, but putting a fighter down to the degree you did is basically toeing up to the line at the very least.

Post #11   8/17/09 8:56:26PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
The guy got in there and mixed it up at the age of 53!!He hadn't fought in 15 years and had a record of 0-1,so who did you expect him to fight,Gomi?

He got in there and proved to himself that he could do it.That's all that matters.

WB.

Post #12   8/17/09 9:06:34PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Chips:

**This post has been censored to keep you ignorant.**

Last edited 8/24/09 10:11PM server time by Brain_Smasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   8/17/09 9:52:10PM