Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

COUTURE ON CARANO'S PERFORMANCE AND FUTURE

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Although Gina Carano’s pride took a hit Saturday night, her coach, Randy Couture, is already looking ahead.

Whenever she wants to get back in the gym, he’ll be there.

Carano suffered the first slide of her career at Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg,” the first major mixed martial arts card to feature a female title fight as its headliner. Almost as soon as the fight was booked, she asked Couture to coach and corner her for the enormous challenge faced in Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos, a vicious product of Chute Boxe Academy in Curitiba, Brazil.

STORY

Post #1   8/17/09 8:32:29AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

I have a feeling that Carano/Cyborg is another Franklin/Silva situation.

Post #2   8/17/09 10:37:10AM   

Afflicted

MMA Regular

Afflicted Avatar

Career:426-283
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
I dont. Gina had full mount at one point and gave it up. I think Gina has a good chance at beating her if they fight again. I think Cyborg will always be the favorite but Gina definetly has a shot to win anytime she fights.

Post #3   8/17/09 11:16:20AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by Afflicted

I dont. Gina had full mount at one point and gave it up. I think Gina has a good chance at beating her if they fight again. I think Cyborg will always be the favorite but Gina definetly has a shot to win anytime she fights.

Yeah, but just think about that.

She was getting MURDERED standing up, got full mount and gave it up.

So not only does Cyborg seem to be the more physically dominant fighter, but also mentally.

Post #4   8/17/09 11:20:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I think Gina could have a lot better showing than she did last weekend. It was clear to me that Cyborg came out with the right gameplan. She made the fight emotional and fast paced right from the start. I think this took Gina by surprise a little bit and completely threw off her gameplan.

If Gina can slow the pace down a little bit we may see a better performance out of her. Not saying she'll win, but I'd like to see her work some combinations from the outside and take the emotion out of the fight.

Post #5   8/17/09 11:52:14AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Afflicted

She didn't give up mount, cyborg rolled to the side and pulled her leg out to get her into half-guard, at which point she stood up. It's also not like she took cyborg down and passed her guard, she landed in mount off of a scramble and within about 4 seconds she was in half guard.

I really doubt carano will ever beat cyborg.

Post #6   8/17/09 12:14:12PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Carano actually had fullt mount twice, when cyborg was behind her trying to drag Gina down she had her arm over Cyborg's head and was able to land in better position once and the other time they both landed about in the same position and Carano was able to push her way on top of cybrog. She may have lost the mount both times, but she should have atleast stayed in halfgaurd, I think she would have done well there, but for the life of me I will never understand why she stood up. I think after the first 15 seconds when Cyborg swarmed her with the first attack, Carano was out of it, you could tell she had never been hit that hard or pressured like that. I would like to see a rematch, but Carano is going to have to stay off of the cage, when she gets trapped in the pocket she ethier covers up and takes it or trades and she got the worst on it on almost every occasion. Hopefully she gets back on the horse soon.

Post #7   8/17/09 4:23:58PM