Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

“We took a lot of proactive measures to make sure [Gina Carano and Cris ‘Cyborg’ Santos were on weight]. We were weighing the girls all week. When Gina went to sleep last night she was right at weight

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“We took a lot of proactive measures to make sure [Gina Carano and Cris ‘Cyborg’ Santos were on weight]. We were weighing the girls all week. When Gina went to sleep last night she was right at weight (145). I was more concerned about Cyborg (she weighed in at 152 for her last Strikeforce fight). I talked to the Chute Boxe trainer and said ’she has to make weight.’ When they landed [in San Jose] she was 152. We just let her do her thing and didn’t interrupt, but we weighed them everyday. I don’t think we’ve ever been this diligent. This is a such high-profile event. This is a major fight for television, a major fight for us and a major fight for female fighting period.”

–Strikeforce Founder and CEO Scott Coker tells CageWriter.com that he was not about to let anything happen to his main event fight between Gina Carano and Cris “Cyborg” Santos at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, Calif., on Aug. 15. The promotion went as far as to weigh the girls — who will compete in an historic main event for the first-ever 145-pound female championship — frequently leading up to yesterday’s weigh in. Carano and Cyborg have historically struggled on the scales, but not last night — both ladies hit their marks without incident. It was likely a huge relief for Strikeforce, which has had a rough time keeping the “Carano vs. Cyborg” card together because of injuries, drug test issues and other matters. With all the drama now out of the way, it’s finally time to fight.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   8/15/09 11:26:27AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
This kind of bothers me. Its not safe to do what Strike Force did here. It seems they put pressure on the girls, mostly Gina, to make weight to the point Gina probley stayed dehydrated for long periods of time. Gina had to cut to 145 but she was at that weight for probably 2 days. I might be reading to much into his comments. But i hope this isnt a pattern. Where they force all big fighters into make weight ahead of time for SF's best interest.

The one reason commissions dont have same day weigh ins is its unheathy to fight while dehydrated. Just the weight cut can be dangerous itself. Staying that weight is dangerous too. But i do understand SF's position and how important it is they make sure things go as planned.

Post #2   8/15/09 1:49:41PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
the only reason they did it with these two is because they don't seem to care enough to make weight on their own and strikeforce didn't want their main event ruined.

If these girls want women's MMA to be taken seriously they should start taking it seriously themselves.

Post #3   8/15/09 2:53:47PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well for one I don't think they should have even came out and say anything about this at all. For two how about pressuring one of your major headliners Diaz to stop using.

Post #4   8/15/09 3:27:59PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Good points by both of you.

Post #5   8/15/09 5:21:52PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Well for one I don't think they should have even came out and say anything about this at all. For two how about pressuring one of your major headliners Diaz to stop using.

but really what can coker do? is he going to pop into diaz's house and yank the bong out of his hand?

Last edited 8/15/09 9:45PM server time by rearnakedjoke
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/15/09 9:44:05PM