Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Josh Neer and Kurt Pellegrino Comment on Their Fight at UFC 101

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Josh Neer:

Hey guys I figured I’d come on here and explain my fight a little. 1 thing I wish I would have done is just try to get up. The reason I didn't was because when he stood up, he was waiting for me to do so. Soon as I would of, he would of spun around and take my back. If I had it to do over again I would have just took the risk. I was complaining about the ref standing us up because c'mon he can't stand us up 1 time? But I guess you can't when you’re basically from the same town as my opponent. I watched the same ref being buddy buddy with all the guys on the card from New Jersey. My main problem with Kurt was b4 the fight he talked how it was going to be a war and he was going to leave it all out there and blah blah. Well in my opinion he didn't at all. If you’re going to play it safe and stick to a game plan just say that. Don’t talk like it's going to be a great fight.

STORY

Post #1   8/14/09 8:12:07AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
It's too bad the fight went the way it did. I really felt that Josh was trying to make a fight out of it, while Kurt was riding out the UD from round 1. Josh may have sealed his own coffin in the fight by being so active from the bottom. It's a shame that the ref and judges don't understand that if the guy on the bottom (with guard) is constantly attacking, he is not in danger from the guy on top, thus how can the guy on top get any credit for control or aggression?

In retrospect, when Josh got the sense the fight was not going to get stood up, he should have locked up Kurt in his guard and hugged him to see how long it took Dan to stand them up.

Post #2   8/14/09 9:46:44AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Personally, I feel that if you can't get up on your own, tough nuts. I also didn't really feel that Kurt did anything wrong. Kurt threw punches from guard and would have passed if Neer wasn't so good at keeping him there. The complaining to the ref got on my nerves during the fight. It isn't the ref's job to appease your frustration. If you want up, then get up. Kurt and Josh are almost the same fighter, Kurt just has better wrestling, I don't see the problem in using your strength against a basic carbon copy of yourself.

Last edited 8/14/09 11:39AM server time by fizzle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/14/09 11:39:30AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,509-1,360
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree with Neer, although I can't really blame Kurt...if he lost that fight he would have been out of the UFC, so he played it safe and stuck to his wrestling and top control. It wasn't a very exciting fight, to say the least and Neer although upset with the loss, his comments are pretty on point.

Post #4   8/14/09 12:00:15PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
You know I don't agree with stand ups at all. Thats how the fight game goes. If your opponent is a better wrestler he will be on top of you.

My problem is that the ignorance of MMA judges has made stand ups necessary. Just like the guy on top has the right to keep his position the guy on the bottom deserves credit for the work he's doing. Josh Neer won that fight. By no stretch of the imagination did Kurt come closer to finishing the fight. You might argue that he had octagon control because he dictated where the fight took place. But Josh had effective grappling (a little bit of effective striking) and way more aggression.

I'm so sick of uneducated judges screwing up fights. Another perfect example of this was Jeff Curran vs. Mizugaki. There is no way to make an intelligent argument for Jeff loosing that fight.

In MMA is you play guard and don't finish the fight you will loose. And that sucks.

Post #5   8/14/09 12:07:55PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by fizzle

Personally, I feel that if you can't get up on your own, tough nuts. I also didn't really feel that Kurt did anything wrong. Kurt threw punches from guard and would have passed if Neer wasn't so good at keeping him there. The complaining to the ref got on my nerves during the fight. It isn't the ref's job to appease your frustration. If you want up, then get up. Kurt and Josh are almost the same fighter, Kurt just has better wrestling, I don't see the problem in using your strength against a basic carbon copy of yourself.

I agree and I actually thought the fight was entertaining myslef. A little chess matchy

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   8/14/09 12:11:06PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,762-939
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Water under the bridge now boys, Pellegrino dictated where the fight went and he took home a unanimous...

Good comments by both, but Pellegrino said it - He had to use his game plan to beat Neer because Neer is a tough guy...

When you play video games, you use the best hero/character or the strongest weapons because you play to win. If its legal, then use that advantage.

If you gotta go for the W, you gotta go for it.

I was kinda disappointed cuz I picked Neer, but hey, what happens happens.

Last edited 8/14/09 12:41PM server time by KaibaThedon

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #7   8/14/09 12:40:30PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fizzle

It would be interesting to see if you feel the same way if Frankie Edgar and/or Sherk layed on Kurt for 3 rounds without a stand up, which ended up resulting in Kurt losing and possibly being let go by the UFC.

I don't have a problem with the no stand up "rule" provided that judges score the fight accordingly. That is, this is not a wrestling match and guys should not be rewarded for holding their opponent down. Pinning should not be considered a means of winning/finishing a fight in MMA. I mean, if a fighter bear hugged his opponent for 15 min, not allowing him to strike, and ended up winning by UD, would that seem like an appropriate way to judge that fight?

Last edited 8/14/09 12:58PM server time by Rush

Post #8   8/14/09 12:58:02PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:
i think the guy doing the bear hugging wins if thats how the whole fight goes, hes the one in control.

Post #9   8/14/09 1:00:50PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
"Control" or not, how can hugging not be considered the same as not engaging your opponent. To me, if you are not trying to T(KO) or sub your opponent, you are not trying to win. By saying that I don't expect the fighters to be going at each other 100% of the 15 min., but come on, I can't think of too many instances in that fight where Kurt was trying to win by any means other than a decision, especially in Rd 2 or 3.

I think a good example of how a decision should be (because the outcome was similar to the Neer-Pellegrino fight) was the Grove vs. Almeida fight. Almeida was controlling Grove on the ground most of the fight, but he was clearly trying to finish him at all times.

Post #10   8/14/09 1:09:57PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Basically Pallegringo did all he needed to win. He held top position and landed the most damaging strikes. Thats enough right there to be granted a UD.
Neer is a tough dude but if your game plan is to stand and bang then learn to sprawl if you want the fight stood up take control and stop that action on the floor.

I'm 100% on Joe Rogan's side with this though. As the great man says "If a guy can hold you down from 3 rounds thats your problem and your loss".
Neer needs to man up and move on.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #11   8/14/09 1:54:03PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:

Posted by Rush

"Control" or not, how can hugging not be considered the same as not engaging your opponent. To me, if you are not trying to T(KO) or sub your opponent, you are not trying to win. By saying that I don't expect the fighters to be going at each other 100% of the 15 min., but come on, I can't think of too many instances in that fight where Kurt was trying to win by any means other than a decision, especially in Rd 2 or 3.

I think a good example of how a decision should be (because the outcome was similar to the Neer-Pellegrino fight) was the Grove vs. Almeida fight. Almeida was controlling Grove on the ground most of the fight, but he was clearly trying to finish him at all times.

so youre saying you would give it to the guy getting hugged? if a guy is in control of the fight, action or not, he has to get the win. i dont want to see a guy in a bearhug for 3 rounds, but id damn sure give the hugger the win over the huggie.

Post #12   8/14/09 2:13:46PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:
anyone who thinks its okay to hug your opponent is the same person who booed when a Pride Ref handed out a yellow card.

the fighters need to realize they are being paid to entertain the fans not get Wins, even though they are nice. when Sylvia did it he was viewed as a trash. and Anderson's win over Leites was suppose to be crap.

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #13   8/14/09 2:38:56PM   

colman

Learning to Sprawl

colman Avatar

Career:1,036-543
Chips:
I think they are being paid to entertain fans and to get wins. If you don't get wins you won't stay in the UFC for very long no matter how entertaining. It wasn't the most exciting fight but if Josh Neer wants people to play into his strength and bang the whole fight then he is in for a frustrating career.

Last edited 8/14/09 3:16PM server time by colman

Post #14   8/14/09 3:15:35PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
sour grapes by Neer. i'm sure it is frustrating to get controlled by a dominant wrestler, but if you can't do anything to stop it then that is your bad. i didn't see one point in that fight where it should have been stood up imo. Kurt was never just "laying" on Neer. he was always active and landed a lot of effective strikes from half guard. you can even see it on Neer's face after the fight.

and as for the whole hugger vs huggie argument, i'm with cowcatcher. how can you give a fight to a guy who is being controleld for 3 rounds posing no danger to his opponent? just because a guy is using an effective strategy to win a fight by eliminating his opponents offensive capabilities doesn't mean he shold lose. in the bear hug scenario, both fighters aren't really doing any damage, so why should the guy getting thrown around like a ragdoll win?

Post #15   8/14/09 4:02:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2