Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

BJ Penn wants Diego Sanchez sooner rather than later

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I think that this is Penn's biggest challenge at LW and will be one of the best fights of the year.

Post #16   8/14/09 10:08:45PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
This will be a great fight, although I think if BJ used his wrestling and BJJ more he could end it quickly--just like he probably could have finished Kenny in the first if he'd gone for the takedown early.

I'm a big fan of Sanchez so I'll root him on, and I'm sure he can make it competetive--but I'm not sure how he can come away with anything but a loss.

Post #17   8/15/09 12:24:18AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well Diego has fairly good stand up now and has just as good of a chin as BJ does. Now I would still give BJ and strong edge in boxing but Diego's kicks are much better. I think Diego's wrestling is better to but BJ has better BJJ. This is the most dangerous fight ever for BJ at 155. Diego will push the pace much more than anyone BJ has ever faced other than GSP and there's a good chance he could wear BJ down. Unlike Kenny, Diego has the ability to take BJ down and hold him there. Now if BJ is able to get Diego on his back Diego could be in a world of hurt.

Post #18   8/15/09 3:12:27AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
IDK man, just because GSP was able to hold BJ down doesn't mean that Diego will. Plus I think BJ's BJJ / Sprawl is really good enough that Diego will probably not want to make it a ground battle, I don't see Diego pushing for a take down unless he hurts / tires BJ. If Diego did win I think it will be because of his kicks opening up opportunities for his hands, and his Clinch fighting is good as well.

Post #19   8/15/09 3:22:37PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

IDK man, just because GSP was able to hold BJ down doesn't mean that Diego will. Plus I think BJ's BJJ / Sprawl is really good enough that Diego will probably not want to make it a ground battle, I don't see Diego pushing for a take down unless he hurts / tires BJ. If Diego did win I think it will be because of his kicks opening up opportunities for his hands, and his Clinch fighting is good as well.

Well not saying Diego is GSP at all. GSP by far has the best wrestling in MMA I've ever seen. But I do think Diego has the ability to get BJ down. If Matt was able to get BJ down Diego should be able to. Now this all depends on what Diego shows up. The one that thinks he needs to keep it standing or the one that keep pressure always on the other fighter. Plus I think Diego may be to big for LW and the cut is having an affect on him. But if he comes in with a game plan to keep pressure on BJ with take downs and can use his kicks and boxing well and can make the cut without major problems he could win. I also think this is the biggest test so far for either fighter at LW.

Post #20   8/15/09 3:48:29PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
BJs wrestling defense is more impressive than Diegos offensive wrestling which is slightly better than BJs offensive wrestling which is slightly better than Diegos wrestling defense. I see a slugfest at points but ultimatly BJ will be on top or on the back at some point and choke him out/finish him with strikes or ride a decision from tiring Diego out. I dont see Diego winning unless he uses GSPs tactics of wear down and take down constantly and I dont think he can. What I would suggest for Diego is an array of leg kicks, at times BJ dosnt check or catch leg kicks but it would leave him dangerously open for BJs boxing so its a battle axe so to speak.

Post #21   8/16/09 6:00:10PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2