Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

THALES LEITES SURPRISED, UPSET ABOUT UFC RELEASE

Print  
Posted By Message

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,473-914
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:

Following a controversial loss to Alessio Sakara at UFC 101, Brazilian fighter Thales Leites received word that he would be released by the promotion. He was surprised by the move.

"My manager received one e-mail from the UFC telling that I was out of the UFC," Leites told MMAWeekly.com in an exclusive interview. "Personally, I think (it’s) unfair."

Despite neither competitor finishing the fight, most felt that Leites did enough to notch the win, but the judges in Philadelphia saw it different and handed the decision to Sakara instead.

"I didn't understand what the two judges saw," Leites commented. "Unreal."

With the news still fresh in his mind, Leites is quick to point out that he doesn't plan to sit on the sidelines for very long.

"Still training hard, looking for new proposals for a fight," he said about his immediate future.

The motivation of being cut seems to be all Leites needed to drive him to work that much harder, and the Brazilian will do exactly that to get back to the top promotion in the sport.

"I was upset about the fight and much more about being cut (from) the UFC," Leites said. "I didn't fight well, but I know that I won that fight. This gives me more motivation to train more and one day come back stronger than ever to the UFC."

Leites will continue his training in Brazil while waiting for his next chance to step back in the ring and prove he belongs among the elite middleweights in the world.

Post #1   8/14/09 1:48:09AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
AV bet that if this is true Strikeforce picks him up within a month!

Post #2   8/14/09 2:05:09AM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I thought that he won the fight also. Strikeforce has been signing alot of MW's lately, they should add Leites to the roster.

Post #3   8/14/09 2:09:20AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,486-770
Chips:
boo frickety whoo, you should have finished sakara

Post #4   8/14/09 2:20:38AM   

sexynick

Learning to Sprawl

Career:94-81
Camp: LQ Baby
Chips:
i think the UFC are trying to send a message that they like fights finished, i mean leites wasnt exciteing...

Post #5   8/14/09 8:04:36AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

If everyone hates you at your job, you shouldn't be surprised if you get fired.

Post #6   8/14/09 9:17:56AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
To all you people that think this is about finishing fights, I could list a number of UFC fighters (many top 10 or ex-champions) that have tons of fights going to decision and/or have games that are not well rounded or are on two fight losing streaks. They are still in the UFC. This inconsistency means that there is some other reason Thales was let go.

Post #7   8/14/09 9:23:38AM