Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Would MMA fans ‘love to see’ Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz III?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
According to the “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” they would:

“I have no more pain, no more soreness, no more numbness going down my legs; I’m back in to fighting shape again. I just started working with Freddie Roach out of Los Angeles, the ‘Wild Card,’ and I’m excited. For once I’m gonna be 100 percent, and hopefully the fans get to the see the champion I was before, ’cause the last time I was 100 percent, when I was the world champion, and I defended my world title five consecutive times … I gotta give the respect to Chuck Liddell, he was a great champion. Too bad he retired, a rematch with him would be nice, and I think the fans would love to see that.”

The former light heavyweight champ talks via SportsRadioInterviews.com about his ‘comeback’ under the tutelage of famed boxing coach Freddie Roach. Ortiz is coming off major spinal fusion surgery to correct a back problem that plagued him in his most recent bouts. His last appearance was in May 2008 — a unanimous decision loss to now 205-pound champion, Lyoto Machida. Speculation has swirled that Ortiz could return to competition at UFC 106 opposite Mark Coleman, but nothing is official at this time. Is a win over the aging wrestler going to propel him back into the mix? Or would any fans out there rather see him tangle with “The Iceman” for a third time instead?

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   8/13/09 5:30:56PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Tito, you're my boy, glad you're back, all that stuff...NO.

Post #2   8/13/09 5:41:48PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sorry, no

Post #3   8/13/09 5:51:10PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Actually, I would like to see a third one.

Post #4   8/13/09 6:49:46PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Definitely not something im to interested in!!!

Post #5   8/13/09 7:11:50PM   

Stills79

MMA Regular

Stills79 Avatar

Career:140-82
Chips:
100% INTERESTED! Make this happen!

Post #6   8/13/09 7:15:10PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Isnt that the stuff that he was saying before the second Liddell fight? It sure does sound familiar. Keep tellin yourself you can beat Chuck.....On a side note Im glad to hear that he has decided to go outside his camp and work on his stand up skills.

Post #7   8/13/09 7:17:37PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I would like this to happen and I will say why. I do not think Tito is good enough to hang with the top 10 fighters in the UFC. That being said, if he cannot defeat the recent Chuck "sliding on ice man" Liddell, then I don't think there is much for him in the UFC other than functioning as a gatekeeper. I'm not sure if Tito wants that, ditto for the UFC because I think Tito's name and reputation are the only things that are getting him back into the UFC. IF the UFC cannot use them to sell PPVs (which as a gatekeeper he will not likely headline anything other than a fight night), I don't see them keeping him around.

Post #8   8/13/09 7:25:24PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I would like this to happen and I will say why. I do not think Tito is good enough to hang with the top 10 fighters in the UFC. That being said, if he cannot defeat the recent Chuck "sliding on ice man" Liddell, then I don't think there is much for him in the UFC other than functioning as a gatekeeper. I'm not sure if Tito wants that, ditto for the UFC because I think Tito's name and reputation are the only things that are getting him back into the UFC. IF the UFC cannot use them to sell PPVs (which as a gatekeeper he will not likely headline anything other than a fight night), I don't see them keeping him around.

Which is why i dont think they should make this fight happen. Even with his slide down I still see Chuck beating Tito again, which leaves Tito in that gatekeeper spot. Exactly where the UFC does not want him. I say let him fight someone new, see how much he really has recovered from surgeries and see if he can come back to the fighter he was in the past. Im not a fan at all, but i wanna see how far he can go.

Post #9   8/13/09 7:31:20PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by mk1630

Which is why i dont think they should make this fight happen. Even with his slide down I still see Chuck beating Tito again, which leaves Tito in that gatekeeper spot. Exactly where the UFC does not want him. I say let him fight someone new, see how much he really has recovered from surgeries and see if he can come back to the fighter he was in the past. Im not a fan at all, but i wanna see how far he can go.

From the perspective of the UFC, I agree with you, but I am happy with Tito not being in the UFC.

And I agree, I think Chuck would lay another beating to him. Chuck wouldn't have anything to gain from beating Tito (other than the W). He's on a slide, but it wouldn't say much beating a guy your convincingly beat twice already.

Last edited 8/13/09 7:42PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   8/13/09 7:40:57PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:984-643
Chips:
no.....nono.........nono nono nonooooooooooooooo............sorry

Post #11   8/13/09 7:45:15PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I see the UFC keeping Tito around as long as Strikeforce (or another major competitor) is in the mix and could market him to make waves. And as far as I can see, the UFC is obviously planning on reinvesting in Tito Ortiz stock, because Coleman is the perfect match for a comeback tour. I just don't think he will be that successful, unless the UFC continues to hand pick his opponents.

Post #12   8/13/09 7:52:27PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
if tito wins a few first then i would like to see it,

Post #13   8/13/09 9:27:04PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm in about in the same mind set as Rush on this.

I believe a 3rd match would tell us a lot about both these guys and where they stand in the division.

Post #14   8/13/09 9:40:08PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:
it doesnt make any since why a "fan" wouldnt wanna see this. i rooted for chuck at 47 and then for Tito at 66. i love to cheer for Ortiz and like everyone im a fan of chucks style.

The Trilogy to this fight is kinda like rampage wand III. and everyone was pumped for that fight. sure chucks getting old but if hes coming back to fight someone it might aswell be the man that helped him get the highest PPV buys in the historty of MMA.

dont lie on message boards people! of course you wanna see this fight happen. either your a chuck fan and wanna see him beat up Tito. or your an Ortiz fan and you wanna see his Revenge. either way it needs to happen, either way!

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #15   8/13/09 10:15:49PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2