Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

- NOT SO FAST, ANDERSON STILL WANTS TO SWING

Print  
Posted By Message

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:

- NOT SO FAST, ANDERSON STILL WANTS TO SWING
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot on the heels of reports that Anderson Silva had acquired a permanent taste for the 205-pound division, it appears that the most dominant middleweight champion in UFC history isn’t quite ready to relinquish his thrown at 185.

A recent column by Yahoo! Sports writer Dan Wetzel stated that Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, told UFC President Dana White that his client was willing to make the move to light heavyweight permanent, even if it meant dropping his middleweight belt in the process.

Not so Soares told MMAWeekly.com, saying he’s not sure where that information was drawn from.

Link

I actually agree with what he says at the end of the article about pairing up henderson with the maia/marquardt winner and producing a clear #1 contender...with so few fights left on his contract and the desire to retire and fight Roy Jones Jr...it would be way better for the fans if he fought again at lhw or even Wanderlai at a catchweight...and then after the dust settles he can fight the number one contender at mw

Post #1   8/11/09 6:37:36PM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:
Apparently every UFC champion contract has a clause that states that if they are currently holding a belt their contract automatically renews for 1 fight. If Anderson were to give up his belt and move to 205, that would rid him of that clause. So not only would he be able to retire more freely, but regardless, he would still be regarded as the All-time MW champ.

Post #2   8/11/09 7:23:45PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I just hope he gets beat soon whether at MW or LHW.

Post #3   8/11/09 8:45:29PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
I think Silva should have one more fight at LHW and then decide. Thats a big decision to drop the belt and move up a class. If he gets beat then he would have done it for nothing. Id say rich franklin is pissed. He cant get away from this guy. Rich is doing whatever it takes to get another belt around his waist and here comes Silva again to take the air out of his tires.

Post #4   8/11/09 9:04:59PM   

Menard_StC

MMA Regular

Menard_StC Avatar

Career:1,052-623
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I just hope he gets beat soon whether at MW or LHW.

Go ahead and hold your breath til that happens

Post #5   8/11/09 9:29:01PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,445-1,303
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i wanna see if he can walk away from the ufc undefeated pound for pound king in the world

Post #6   8/12/09 12:16:49AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Why the hell would he fight Wandy, I thought he said he wanted to fight the best in the world, He is 1-5 in his last six, seriously that would be a waste of a fight on his contract. If he wants another fight at LHW give him Luiz Cane, now that would be an exciting fight. I would also like to see Maia fight Anderson before he leaves and would not be happy if he never gets his shot, but Hendo has earned the next fight. I think Hendo put up the most challenge to Silva since he has been in the UFC and if he stays away from the knees I think he will put up another good challenge against the champ. I guarantee Silva wont drop his hands like he did with Forrest, (I know he was just throwing up a Big FU to the UFC and thier poster boy for talking junk on his last two fights, but persoanly I'm not a big fan of the showboating and disrespect he showed, when his oppanent was already taking a beating.) but if he does that to Hendo he will end up missing a few secoonds of his life like Bisping. I know Silva is to smart for that, with a guy that actually has some power, but never thought I would see it in the first place from Anderson, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Post #7   8/12/09 2:49:22AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,718-1,199
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Why the hell would he fight Wandy, I thought he said he wanted to fight the best in the world, He is 1-5 in his last six, seriously that would be a waste of a fight on his contract. If he wants another fight at LHW give him Luiz Cane, now that would be an exciting fight. I would also like to see Maia fight Anderson before he leaves and would not be happy if he never gets his shot, but Hendo has earned the next fight. I think Hendo put up the most challenge to Silva since he has been in the UFC and if he stays away from the knees I think he will put up another good challenge against the champ. I guarantee Silva wont drop his hands like he did with Forrest, (I know he was just throwing up a Big FU to the UFC and thier poster boy for talking junk on his last two fights, but persoanly I'm not a big fan of the showboating and disrespect he showed, when his oppanent was already taking a beating.) but if he does that to Hendo he will end up missing a few secoonds of his life like Bisping. I know Silva is to smart for that, with a guy that actually has some power, but never thought I would see it in the first place from Anderson, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

I don't get this just how has Hendo 'earned' his shot? He got subbed convincingly by Silva in the first fight and in fights since Hendo has lost to Rich Franklin and KO'd Bisping, hardly the track record of someone who is building to a rematch. Hendo has shown me nothing that would suggest that his 2nd fight with Silva would end any differently? The only person who currently 'deserves' a shot Damian Maia. Why should he have to fight again if he he beats Nate? If he beats Marquadt then in my eyes he deserves the shot BEFORE Hendo.

Post #8   8/12/09 3:02:42AM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by snakeplissken

Posted by supatolacyl

I don't get this just how has Hendo 'earned' his shot? He got subbed convincingly by Silva in the first fight and in fights since Hendo has lost to Rich Franklin and KO'd Bisping, hardly the track record of someone who is building to a rematch. Hendo has shown me nothing that would suggest that his 2nd fight with Silva would end any differently? The only person who currently 'deserves' a shot Damian Maia. Why should he have to fight again if he he beats Nate? If he beats Marquadt then in my eyes he deserves the shot BEFORE Hendo.

hey did u know that frankilin lost to henderson

Post #9   8/12/09 5:18:27AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
"Thrown?"

Post #10   8/12/09 12:28:07PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:

Posted by snakeplissken

First Hendo beat Franklin, which I believe is the bigger win over his ko of Bisping, I enjoyed Bisping getting mauled much better though he has also beat Palhares, which doesn't mean much, but it is another WIn in the middle weight. Hendo put up a good fight until he ate the knee, he deffinately one the first round and I think he was winning the majority of the second until he got rocked then sub'd, but in that time he put up the best defence against Silva. I too want to see Maia Fight for the title, I persoanlly think he should have got a shot after he beat Sonnen, but he was told to fight again so he is, the winner of Maia/Marquardt has been told they will get the next shot, if Silva decides to stay in the middle weight long enough. So until then we should weight another 3 or 4 months for Maia to be ready to fight again after his fight with Marquardt(if he wins which i believe he will) That means the middle weight belt would have only be defended twice, if they could even get that fight in this year and if not then woul dhave only been one title defence which is rediulous even for the best p4p fighter, you have a belt defend it. Hendo guarantees a second title defence for the mw title this year.

Post #11   8/12/09 3:46:09PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Why the hell would he fight Wandy

Because they had a little spat a wile back and because he wants to say I beat Wanderlei Silva.

Part of what made ali was his disrespectful trash talk and his showboating in the ring. Great fighters are great fighters.

Post #12   8/12/09 4:44:08PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I used to be very much in agreement with the idea that a belt must be defended often...but in the case of the MW division perhaps its not so bad...Anderson has already beaten 2 of the top 3 contenders in the MW division (not including Okami)...I think giving some time for the division to really produce a clear cut number one contender is a good idea..and Anderson is staying busy at LHW so it really doesn't bother me too much.

Post #13   8/13/09 5:54:37AM