Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White still uncertain whether Chuck Liddell's retirement is permanent

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Is Chuck Liddell really retired?

It seems the man who first announced the former champion's career conclusion isn't even sure these days.

After a knockout loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 97 in April, UFC president Dana White announced in a post-fight press conference that Liddell had entered the octagon for the final time. Now, though, he hasn't completely shut the door on hios longtime friend and former manager fighting once more.

"He's a huge superstar, and we could still sell lots of tickets (with Liddell)," White said in April. "But I don't care about that. I care about him. I care about his health, and it's over, man. It's over."

STORY

Post #1   8/11/09 4:24:38PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I think that he should do whatever he wants. It shouldnt be anyones decision but his own

Post #2   8/11/09 4:35:34PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I competely understand where Dana is coming from and I agree. Chuck should walk away while his still has his head on tight.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #3   8/11/09 4:39:30PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't think anyone has any right whatsoever to tell someone else when it's time to stop doing what they love doing.

Last edited 8/11/09 4:53PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/11/09 4:52:51PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I don't think anyone has any right whatsoever to tell someone else when it's time to stop doing what they love doing.

Agreed

Post #5   8/11/09 4:56:52PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:993-595
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I hope theres a resolve to this situation soon. I'm tired of hearing about it. But I do agree with Fleek, I don't think anyone should be able to tell anyone else when its time to quit.

Post #6   8/11/09 5:19:28PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I hope he comes back stronger then ever......WAR LIDDELL!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #7   8/11/09 5:23:22PM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,648-1,156
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
But who would you put him in against? Someone like an Anderson Silva would possibly kill him quicker than he did Forrest. Anyone less than a marquee name would have cries of 'He's been fed a can to ease him into retirement and give him a easy victory'

However with that said, a match against Rich Franklin would be cool. Maybe a WWE stipulation loer retires match or something...

Post #8   8/11/09 5:47:06PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I understand where you're coming from, But Dana is Chucks friend. Dana has watched Chuck get KTFO from Rampage, Rashad and Shogun in 3 of his last 4 fights. Lets not forget about him getting dropped by Guy back in the day, get pummeled by Randy in their first fight and his war against Wandy. Chuck just might be fading really guick after all his wars and Dana sees it. Dana sees it better then all of us

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #9   8/11/09 5:52:32PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,624-875
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by emfleek

Agreed

While I agree with you guys, you'll also have to understand that Dana doesn't want Chuck Lidell getting knocked retarded. We know that they won't give him any easy fights (though Stephan Bonnar is looking more and more tempting by the mintue LOL) and that simply means that Chuck has to retire.

I mean if someone you loved was a supreme alcoholic and you wanted them to stop drinking cuz you feared for their life/brain, you don't have any right to tell them that they gotta stop?

Chuck doesn't have to listen to Dana if he doesn't want to, plain and simple.

But if you love doing something a lot (smoking weed, drinking, whatever) and its going to absolutely kill you (or severely damage your brain) if you continue, then no, nobody has the right to tell you to stop. But as friends, they can ask you to stop for the sake of your own health.

And thats what Dana is doing.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #10   8/11/09 6:30:30PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Posted by emfleek

I understand where you're coming from, But Dana is Chucks friend. Dana has watched Chuck get KTFO from Rampage, Rashad and Shogun in 3 of his last 4 fights. Lets not forget about him getting dropped by Guy back in the day, get pummeled by Randy in their first fight and his war against Wandy. Chuck just might be fading really guick after all his wars and Dana sees it. Dana sees it better then all of us

I think Dana actually has Chucks best interest at heart.If he refuses to retire without one more fight, I would give him a fight against Coleman. He should win that, and has very little chance of getting knocked out IMO, then retire. No more strikers though. He has taken a lot of damage and is a lot older than most strikers in MMA now. Their was a time when I thought his chin rock solid, but overtime accumulated damage wears on you, and I think his chin & reflexes are now below average considering the top 205ers the UFC has to offer him.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #11   8/11/09 6:40:02PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
let chuck fight
he still has a couple left, dana saying for his heath and not wanting him to be knocked again just shows that he has lost confidence in lidell to win a fight

i wanna see chuck knock someone's head off again like the old days!!

Post #12   8/11/09 6:43:53PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
I wanna see him come back for a few fights that are favorable matchups but still big names.
1. Bonnar
2. tito 2/coleman
3. Forrest/jardine 2
I think any of these matches chuck would be interested in. and not much of a chance of ending in a ko but may bring all the hype back to chuck. And then a retirement.

Post #13   8/11/09 7:14:43PM