Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dan Miragliotta Defends Stoppage of Johny Hendricks Amir Sadollah Fight at UFC 101

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shadymlm

MMA Regular

Shadymlm Avatar

Career:27-16
Chips:
It was definitely an early stoppage and like said before Hendricks punches were grazing Amir at bes andt half of them missed. This was not a Miller lite Bad call!

I wonder if everyone who is saying that they don't have a problem with Dan or the stoppage would be singing the same tune if it happened to their precious Fedor... just food for thought

Post #16   8/11/09 3:17:45PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
I am ussually the first person to stand up for a ref. People have always complained about every ref in the UFC. Its ussually due to the fact they know the ref, his name and are comfortable with him. At the same time the Pride ref could mess up and few care because knowone knows who he is. BJM got the name Big John McStoppage, everyone said Herb Dean sucked around the Phil Baroni stoppage era. Larry Landless was hated. Now you have Levigne who seems to never be able to do anythign right. Mirgliotta and Mazzigoti.

To tell the truth there is only 2 refs i have a problem with. Yves, because he just seems incompetent. Just one of those people who cant do anything right. I have seen him trip over people trying to stop fights. One fight he even fell and busted his ass during the fight while back peddling. He seems more suited for Revenge of the Nerds sequal than refing MMA infront of millions of people.

The other is Mario Yamasaki. He is actually a very good ref but he is very bias. This allows him to see what he wants to see. I saw him during the Gracie fighting championship event allow Daniel Gracie to throw multiple knees at Wes Simms whil o the ground to the head. While standing 2 feet away starign staight at it. Then penalizes Sims for a head butt. Mario has been teching Martial arts for a long time. He knows his stuff but he is very biased.

I do think Mirgliotta should only ref HW fights. I also think there should be a rule that smaller refs ref light weight fights. When you have smaller fighters they can punch much faster than big guys. So if you have 300 lb Dan trying to stop a GnP and it takes him 1 second longer than it does som eone smaller. A LW can throw problably 5 punches in that 1 second. This is why Mirgliotta seems to be always out of position. Dan, to stop a fight as quick as a smaller ref may have to anticipate the stoppage sooner and get a jump on it. This causes much more early stoppages.

Last edited 8/11/09 3:31PM server time by Brain_Smasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   8/11/09 3:25:59PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I still stand by my original thought, not being even pissed about it cause i didin't really care for the outcome of the fight... but i don't think a fight should get stopped when a fighter is already halfway back to his feet. Only my take of the whole thing.

I agree, nobody likes a late stoppage but that one was still iffy. as was the werdum vs. vera stoppage and kimbo vs. james thompson stoppage as well, the guy has a track record

Post #18   8/11/09 3:48:44PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by XblacksheepX

Miragliotta is the worst ref in the ufc right now.

Worse than Mazzagatti? Surely not.

Agreed Finnish. Also the UFC doesn't employ referees.

Post #19   8/11/09 3:50:01PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
How does Miragliotta see that Amir was knocked out but doesn't see Hendricks punching him in the back of the head? I really question this guys integrity. If he'd just admit he was wrong I would think more of him.

Post #20   8/11/09 5:24:00PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i actually agree with dan for once
yes amir was getting up but so was johnny still unloading at his head, one more shot would have knock amir's lights out, dan saved amir from any more damage

Post #21   8/11/09 6:47:11PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i actually agree with dan for once
yes amir was getting up but so was johnny still unloading atTHE BACK OF HIS head, one more shot would have knock amir's lights out, dan saved amir from any more damage

Corrected your post...

Post #22   8/11/09 8:08:29PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Dan Miragliotta is will out a doubt the worst ref right now but the stoppage i didn't have much of a problem with. Amir was rocked and Hendricks gave him a couple of unanswered blows. From Dans angle it looked like it was time to stop the fight. If he was anywhere else i might have more to say about the situation but i have seen way worse stoppages. Ive seen every ref make mistakes. Even Big John. I remember when Brain Johnston won at UFC 11 Big John dove in to stop the fight and hit Johnston's nose with his shoulder and broke it. The guy won his fight by KO and couldn't continue. Since Big John left id say Herb Dean is the best ref they got right now.

Post #23   8/11/09 8:50:40PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Hold on, let me get my Mitagliotta-goggles so that I can see the exact opposite of everything that actually happened.

Please find a new job.

Post #24   8/11/09 9:15:31PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Big John is ref'ing fights now. He only left for a short while.

Post #25   8/11/09 10:29:21PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
do i think it was an early stoppage?? YES

do i think hendricks was going to knock him out somewhere in the next 20 seconds?? YES

Post #26   8/11/09 11:06:00PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
yeah but the whole idea behind an early stoppage is that no matter what any of us thinks would have happened, we will never know for sure, and the fighter should have been given the chance.

Hendricks also landed like 4 punches to the back of Amir's head and wasn't even warned.

Post #27   8/11/09 11:09:19PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He should just own up to it--he made a mistake. That he's looked at a replay, and still believes he made the right call is baffling. I watched the replay a couple times--and it looks like barely any of those shots connected when Amir was on all fours.

Too bad, because it looked like Hendricks suffered a hand injury afterwards, and that probably would have been easy money for Amir had it continued.

I will say though, that Amir was in a really bad spot, and when I saw it the first time I was pretty much in-between on the stoppage.

Post #28   8/12/09 12:05:44AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
definitely an early stoppage but im not sure Amir would have recovered enough to mount a significant comeback. Mirgliotta missed the punches to the back of the head, which CAN cause brain damage. luckily only 1 of them looked like it connected solidly.

but i have to agree theres been worse stoppages(or lack of) lately. novar bradley and sell brown come to mind.

Mirgliotta>Mazigotti imo

oh and torres bowles! miguel took about 4 extra punches and he was clearly chillin on candy mountain.

Last edited 8/12/09 2:09AM server time by rearnakedjoke
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #29   8/12/09 2:08:17AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Hendricks would have won anyways.

Post #30   8/12/09 5:08:39AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2