Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Miragliotta Defends Stoppage of Johny Hendricks Amir Sadollah Fight at UFC 101

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"When you get to see the fight in slow motion, you can see that [Amir Sadollah (1-1)] was out and then, after a couple of strikes, wakes back up and starts trying to stand back up," UFC referee Dan Miragliotta told Fighters.com Sunday night in response to the outrage here and across the MMA media after John Hendricks (6-0) TKO’d the charasmatic The Ultimate Fighter 7 champ Sadollah in 29 seconds in Hendricks’s Octagon debut at UFC 101 in Philadelphia Saturday.

STORY

Post #1   8/11/09 11:34:01AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I'm with him.

This is nothing compared to the string stoppages or lack there of that Yves Lavigne went on.

Last edited 8/11/09 11:36AM server time by gartface
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/11/09 11:35:48AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Chips:
This about sums it up for me...

Personally, I prefer the occasional quick stoppage to a late stoppage like Josh Rosenthal's in the Brian Bowles vs Miguel Torres fight. No one gets permanent brain damage from a quick stoppage.

Post #3   8/11/09 11:39:14AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Yeah, I didn't feel there was anything wrong with this stoppage.

Post #4   8/11/09 11:50:51AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,109-1,190
Chips:
I still stand by my original thought, not being even pissed about it cause i didin't really care for the outcome of the fight... but i don't think a fight should get stopped when a fighter is already halfway back to his feet. Only my take of the whole thing.

Post #5   8/11/09 11:53:27AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Personally, I prefer the occasional quick stoppage to a late stoppage like Josh Rosenthal's in the Brian Bowles vs Miguel Torres fight. No one gets permanent brain damage from a quick stoppage.

If it was a isolated incident or even few and far between I would too but it just seams like every time Miragliotta refs theirs controversy. I'd say out of the last few controversial stoppages he'd have the majority.

I honestly think its time he stopped reffing or was sent on a course. He made a poor decision in the Sadollah fight and his career is littered with even worse ones. He should just stand up and say I made a mistake, he looked rocked but recovered and I stopped the fight to early.

This is the same crap he came out with after the horrible call at the Kimbo - Thompson fight. I have no respect for him as a ref and honestly think he should have his license revoked.

I'v just finished rewatching the Sadollah fight and he clearly says "What are you doing? I'm fine!"

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   8/11/09 11:56:23AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:540-338
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Dan Miragliotta is human and from my perspective he dose make mistakes but it seems like the trendy thing to do is jump all over every ref for everything.

You know after we chased off Steve Mazzagatti now people want to bead in on Miragliotta, what are you people racist! Seriously though, give him some time in the big leagues and if he makes some consistent mistakes then can him.

I dont have a issue with him and never saw him make huge mistakes.

Last edited 8/11/09 12:24PM server time by slapshot

Post #7   8/11/09 12:20:54PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by emfleek

If it was a isolated incident or even few and far between I would too but it just seams like every time Miragliotta refs theirs controversy. I'd say out of the last few controversial stoppages he'd have the majority.

I honestly think its time he stopped reffing or was sent on a course. He made a poor decision in the Sadollah fight and his career is littered with even worse ones. He should just stand up and say I made a mistake, he looked rocked but recovered and I stopped the fight to early.

This is the same crap he came out with after the horrible call at the Kimbo - Thompson fight. I have no respect for him as a ref and honestly think he should have his license revoked.

I'v just finished rewatching the Sadollah fight and he clearly says "What are you doing? I'm fine!"

Miragliotta is the worst ref in the ufc right now. If he refs a fight, it's a 50% chance he'll **** it up.

Post #8   8/11/09 12:58:28PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

Dan Miragliotta is human and from my perspective he dose make mistakes but it seems like the trendy thing to do is jump all over every ref for everything.

You know after we chased off Steve Mazzagatti now people want to bead in on Miragliotta, what are you people racist! Seriously though, give him some time in the big leagues and if he makes some consistent mistakes then can him.

I dont have a issue with him and never saw him make huge mistakes.

Then you haven't watched many fights he reffed.

Post #9   8/11/09 1:04:10PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
my problem was is that he called it from behind hendricks not being able to see Amir face and how Hendricks was barely glacing shots off the top of his head. If a guy is out and then recovers quickly the fight can continue, Johnny was not finishing the fight, he was not even connecting.

Post #10   8/11/09 1:15:38PM   

loffspring

Learning to Sprawl

loffspring Avatar

Career:623-343
Chips:
I have no real problem with the stoppage, we have the benefit of time and slow motion but the ref has a split second to decide.

Like the article said I'd rather see and early stoppage opposed to a late one.
It can be frustrating for the fans but at least the fighter will probably know his own name in 10 years.

Post #11   8/11/09 1:54:55PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,426
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So then why did the bozo wait for him to get up before he stopped it.

I think Amir was visibly rocked, I don't think anyone would dispute that, but he was not knocked out and was getting up when he stopped the fight. I was there and I thought it was a bad stoppage, just my .02.

Post #12   8/11/09 2:43:24PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Chips:

"When you get to see the fight in slow motion, you can see that [Amir Sadollah (1-1)] was out and then, after a couple of strikes, wakes back up and starts trying to stand back up,"

No he wasn't out. Man I didn't think I could dislike Miragliotta anymore but to flat out lie is just BS. I have watched it in slow motion many times now. People that are out don't catch themselves from hitting the ground. After watching it in slow motion its even more clear it was poor stoppage yet again by Miragliotta. You cant even be 100% sure it was a knock down from the slow motion view so how the heck is he saying Amir was out when the fans had a much clearer view than he did.

Last edited 8/11/09 2:58PM server time by telnights

Post #13   8/11/09 2:57:14PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by XblacksheepX

Miragliotta is the worst ref in the ufc right now.

Worse than Mazzagatti? Surely not.

Post #14   8/11/09 3:09:23PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,385-918
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

"When you get to see the fight in slow motion, you can see that [Amir Sadollah (1-1)] was out and then, after a couple of strikes, wakes back up and starts trying to stand back up," UFC referee Dan Miragliotta told Fighters.com

Wow. Dan must be like superhuman to be able to see that in the replay, or has access to different camera angles from the rest of the planet.

In the split second he made the decision in reality, he was standing behind Hendricks, and couldn't even see Sadollah. Remarkable.

Post #15   8/11/09 3:12:59PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2