Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fickle Fans and Fellow Fighters Turn on Forrest Griffin

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
MMA fans might be the harshest and most fickle in the sporting world. There is no better demonstration of the "what have you done for me lately mentality" than the way we have collectively turned on former favorite Forrest Griffin. For an example see the photo shop on the right which has been making the rounds in the BE comments, on the UG and the Sherdog boards

STORY

Post #1   8/10/09 1:20:07PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
wow thats alot of forrest hate.

although i dont think his career is over.

imo it seems to me that griffin was thrown in with competition that he was just not really on the same level as.he was close but just short.the UFC needs to give him some up and comers to get his confidence back.

also if all this hate is spreading.i would not like to see griffin booed

Post #2   8/10/09 1:32:09PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
That's crazy. Forrest just got beat by a man who is extremely talented. There is no reason to doubt Forrest's skills, he is still a outstanding fighter. His career isn't even close to over, he is only 30 years old and still has some fight left in him. His style was just the perfect matchup for Anderson Silva to demolish him. I hope this one fight doesn't give him a bad reputation. I hope Forrest can recover from this loss, step back into the octagon and kick some ass once again.

Last edited 8/10/09 1:42PM server time by Irish_Pride
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/10/09 1:40:26PM   

UFCmma666

MMA Regular

UFCmma666 Avatar

Career:228-138
Chips:

Posted by Irish_Pride

That's crazy. Forrest just got beat by a man who is extremely talented. There is no reason to doubt Forrest's skills, he is still a outstanding fighter. His career isn't even close to over, he is only 30 years old and still has some fight left in him. His style was just the perfect matchup for Anderson Silva to demolish him. I hope this one fight doesn't give him a bad reputation. I hope Forrest can recover from this loss, step back into the octagon and kick some ass once again.

how many times have you said the same thing on abunch of different forums about how much you love forrest and before you were saying how forrest has a great chance of beating anderson and when he gets completely demolished you say his style was perfect to lose i agree his career is nowhere near over just alot of nuthugging going on

Post #4   8/10/09 2:30:46PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't see Forrest losing much popularity because of that fight. I'm pretty sure his fans are just being silent in the aftermath, and all of the fans who didn't like him already are the ones whose voices on the boards are the loudest.

He'll come back and be fine in his next fight, as long as he's prepared mentally.

Post #5   8/10/09 2:42:22PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Man this is pissing me off!
Forget the fact that Forrest has fought some classic wars in the past, forget the fact that he was the LHW champ, forget the fact that he is pretty much the reason MMA is now as main stream as it is, forget the fact they guy has a heart the size of truck and focus on his style for a few minutes.

He's a aggressive fighter, one of THE most aggressive fighters in the business and he's just fought probably the best and most accurate counter fighter in MMA. Silva's style is made to deal with people who fight like Forrest and people are saying his career is over?!
What did they think was going to happen?
He's still a top 5 LHW, he can still put on killer shows and he's still the funniest man in MMA.

Forrest has beaten a good few top LHW's he's also lost out on some pretty crappy decisions and been KO'd when he shouldn't have but he's always been a game fighter. I'm disgusted at how quickly people jump from fan to hater in this sport.
2 losses to 2 tough guys isn't anything to be ashamed of and the fact that people are saying he should retire or his career is over is a joke!

He'd still beat Jon Jones, Wanderlei Silva, Franklin, Cane quite handily and I also think he'd beat Tito and Jardine if they re-matched so should all those guys retire or quit too, because they wont get past Forrest for a long time!

By this logic everyone should just stop training unless you're a champion because I don't see any of the champs getting beat for a while so why not take a few years off, let them age until they stand a chance then fight when they aren't that good anymore!

Oh yeah Torres just got KO'd so maybe he should just call it a day too! Oh man he was overrated anyway! I think I'll take him off my P4P list and drop him off the rankings too!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   8/10/09 2:45:58PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,656-890
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Couldn't decide who I felt worse for - Forrest or Kenny.

Felt bad for them both. I still love Forrest. I didn't turn on him nothing. I bought his book and everything

Aww yeah!

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #7   8/10/09 2:50:58PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Everybody goes through valleys and peaks. Ive never been a huge Forrest fan but he will be back. Anderson was just on a different level on saturday. If they fought ten times it wouldnt go down like that everytime. That was a dismantling. Anderson might win all ten but that was just crazy.

Post #8   8/10/09 2:55:36PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #9   8/10/09 3:12:02PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Anybody whos turning on Forrest for this is a scumbag in my mind. Hes one of the most exciting fighters in the UFC and hes got some good wins, without ever being the most talented guy in the world. He really shows how far you can come with a good work ethic and lots of heart.

I guess all the douche bags posting crap about him would rather Forrest just kept scooting and staying on the oppisite side cage to Anderson than coming forward and at least making it an exciting fight???

Im not even a big Forrest fan, he might make my top 20 but not much more. But this hate hes getting is just ridiculus.

Post #10   8/10/09 3:14:31PM   

2hotty

Learning to Sprawl

2hotty Avatar

Career:856-749
Camp: hot kASH
Chips:
I don't think anyone is getting on Forrest for his fighting ability, alot of people know he is a good fighter with a big heart that loves to Bang. Im just getting the poor sportsmanship out of the hole ordeal, & that he hates loosing . (Which a lot of people hate) But the running out of the arena isn't the best thing for him to have done, but its done & life goes on & we will see Forrest in the Octogan soon enough banging like he does.

Post #11   8/10/09 3:22:13PM   

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,616-1,133
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
After the Jadine loss Forrest came back a new fighter. This can only make him stronger IMO. I think Forrest has to much on his plate and he needs to start thinking only about MMA and training. I hope he will come back better than ever.

Post #12   8/10/09 3:34:31PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Really gentlemen, we all knew his already. The media is going to make a mountain out of a mole hill, your only as good as your last fight, ect.... Forrest was beaten, simple. Forrest reacted poorly to losing, typical. Forrest will get back into the Octagon a entertain us all by fighting like a demon, priceless.

Post #13   8/10/09 3:36:05PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Man this is pissing me off!
Forget the fact that Forrest has fought some classic wars in the past, forget the fact that he was the LHW champ, forget the fact that he is pretty much the reason MMA is now as main stream as it is, forget the fact they guy has a heart the size of truck and focus on his style for a few minutes.

He's a aggressive fighter, one of THE most aggressive fighters in the business and he's just fought probably the best and most accurate counter fighter in MMA. Silva's style is made to deal with people who fight like Forrest and people are saying his career is over?!
What did they think was going to happen?
He's still a top 5 LHW, he can still put on killer shows and he's still the funniest man in MMA.

Forrest has beaten a good few top LHW's he's also lost out on some pretty crappy decisions and been KO'd when he shouldn't have but he's always been a game fighter. I'm disgusted at how quickly people jump from fan to hater in this sport.
2 losses to 2 tough guys isn't anything to be ashamed of and the fact that people are saying he should retire or his career is over is a joke!

He'd still beat Jon Jones, Wanderlei Silva, Franklin, Cane quite handily and I also think he'd beat Tito and Jardine if they re-matched so should all those guys retire or quit too, because they wont get past Forrest for a long time!

By this logic everyone should just stop training unless you're a champion because I don't see any of the champs getting beat for a while so why not take a few years off, let them age until they stand a chance then fight when they aren't that good anymore!

Oh yeah Torres just got KO'd so maybe he should just call it a day too! Oh man he was overrated anyway! I think I'll take him off my P4P list and drop him off the rankings too!

No way he beats Rich Franklin or Wanderlei.

Post #14   8/10/09 3:52:51PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Did that guy say his submision over rua was lack luster???? Unimpressive???? Shogun is a bjj black belt....any time you sumit a black belt it's a damn impressive submission. Silva is a beast...complete savage, and imo the best fighter in the world p4p. There is no shame in losing to that guy.

Post #15   8/10/09 3:59:19PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3