Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nick Diaz vs. Jay Hieron On 8/15 May Be Off

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And now, your Strikeforce Bad Break Of The Day...Nick Diaz was supposed to take a drug test ahead of his 8/15 Strikeforce fight with Jay Hieron last night and trainer Cesar Gracie said he'd be there for it. He wasn't. Diaz reps claimed he was training but promised he'd take a test Monday. The problem is that the CSAC believes the test would have had to be taken last night to get the results back in time, and while they agreed to the Monday test, they feel that there is a good chance that the results of the test will not be back in time to clear Diaz for the show. If that's the case the fight is probably off.

Article

Post #1   8/8/09 7:58:52AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
Lame.

IF this fight goes, pretty much the entire main card would have been dismantled and put back together.

EDIT: Hopefully the ladies make weight.

Last edited 8/8/09 8:07AM server time by breakdown5
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/8/09 8:07:09AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,310-870
Chips:
Surely they can put a rush on the sample at the lab - that shouldn't be a problem.

Post #3   8/8/09 8:39:25AM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
Oh come on CSAC, im not buying they wont have the results back in time. Ive taken dozens of drug test and ive never waited any longer than 72 hours at the longest for the results. Ive never been tested for performance inhancing substances though, does anyone know how much longer (if it all) it takes to test for steroids and things of that such?

Post #4   8/8/09 9:01:45AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I don't know of the duration, but I know they test for several substances. They probably use HPLC, which will only take a few hours per-run, but I don't know how many runs one does for a standard drug test. My guess is at least three runs are needed using different HPLC columns, but that is just an educated guess. There is also some time in interpreting the data, which is probably done by a different person than the technician. I am also sure they don't work on weekends.

All in all I don't think it comes down to whether the test results CAN be obtained. I just think that the CSAC is not going to go out of their way when a fighter decides not to show up for a scheduled drug test. Personally, I don't blame them. If I paid someone to collect a drug sample and the fighter didn't show up, I would be pissed and feel righteous in sending a message to the fighter. If you're not going to be professional, then don't fight.

Last edited 8/8/09 9:47AM server time by Rush

Post #5   8/8/09 9:46:48AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i hope not, if he knows he is fighting weeks out why smoke the pot man when u know u will be tested?? if he can't fight something tells me baroni will jump in

Post #6   8/8/09 10:20:53AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
What else could go wrong for SF on this card? Haha I mean seriously. Next to go wrong, people miss weight. Geez

Post #7   8/8/09 10:31:11AM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,162-1,282
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i hope not, if he knows he is fighting weeks out why smoke the pot man when u know u will be tested?? if he can't fight something tells me baroni will jump in

Yeah I think Phil would as well...

And while Diaz Vs Heiron would be my first choice....I wouldn't mind seeing Baroni and Heiron go at it....it would still be a fun fight

Post #8   8/8/09 10:55:36AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by scobac

Oh come on CSAC, im not buying they wont have the results back in time. Ive taken dozens of drug test and ive never waited any longer than 72 hours at the longest for the results. Ive never been tested for performance inhancing substances though, does anyone know how much longer (if it all) it takes to test for steroids and things of that such?

There is an initial screen test that is pretty quick, which is intended to eliminate negatives. If there's a positive though, a second, more elaborate test is run, which takes quite a bit more time. So, there is a scenario that could prove to be an issue.

Post #9   8/8/09 11:46:14AM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
What else could go wrong for this card? Lets hope that both Gina and Cyborg both make weight!

Post #10   8/8/09 12:08:24PM   

ohnougotme

BANNED

Career:18-10
Chips:
If the fight is off,due to a joint!Nick has no excuse!People that think marijuana will boost anything,i would love to hear it,cuz,where i come from pot smokers while quite imaginative,seem to be quite laid back.I agree about"why smoke when you know you r fighting in a couple of weeks".It seems to me that alot of fighters put off fights to cycle out.Nick's and awesome fighter with underestimated talent.He is deffinately top 5 in my books.I hope this fight happens and is not put off for weed!

Post #11   8/8/09 12:11:24PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
Well, that sucks. Hopefully, this fight happens this is one of the fights I am looking forward to on the Strikeforce card. It would suck to see it get cancelled.

Post #12   8/8/09 12:12:15PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by scobac

There is an initial screen test that is pretty quick, which is intended to eliminate negatives. If there's a positive though, a second, more elaborate test is run, which takes quite a bit more time. So, there is a scenario that could prove to be an issue.

is this the first test? If he is negative on all panels on the first then I guess it should go quick? they have five days to do it and im sure they can get it done. I agree with rush that they are sending a message and he should have showed up ready to go and be a pro, get the THC out of your system, if I can do you can do it!

Post #13   8/8/09 12:15:02PM   

jahdoug

MMA Regular

jahdoug Avatar

Career:376-251
Chips:
People dont get it but weed is an indirect PED. It may not add to muscle recovery or whatever, but it allows you to train like crazy and unwind quickly afterwards, get right to sleep, and generally combat the phsychological strains of multiple training session per day over the grueling months of a training camp.
Nick is smart to incorporate Weed into his supplements, but if he is cutting it close enough to be trying to sweat it out before tests, he needs to get the timing down.

Post #14   8/8/09 12:45:00PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,162-1,282
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:

Posted by jahdoug

People dont get it but weed is an indirect PED. It may not add to muscle recovery or whatever, but it allows you to train like crazy and unwind quickly afterwards, get right to sleep, and generally combat the phsychological strains of multiple training session per day over the grueling months of a training camp.
Nick is smart to incorporate Weed into his supplements, but if he is cutting it close enough to be trying to sweat it out before tests, he needs to get the timing down.

You can argue all you want about the effects.

But using any banned substance, is anything but smart....it will only cause problems.

Last edited 8/8/09 1:36PM server time by mayhem13

Post #15   8/8/09 1:32:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2