Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko May Receive Strikeforce Title Shot in Debut After All

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Earlier this week, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said that he would like to "build" to a title fight between current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem and the organization's newest big man, Fedor Emelianenko.

STORY

Post #1   8/7/09 8:29:47AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I didnt want to see the fight built up. I mean if fedor came to the UFC, wouldnt he have gotten an immediate title shot.

But I could see where SF is coming from, considering people in the states may not know much about Overeem or Fedor or just general MMA fans.

Post #2   8/7/09 12:31:23PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,834-1,785
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
True, I think he would get an immediate title shot because the fans watching Strikeforce also most likely have watched Affliction. Not to mention EliteXC, and other smaller orgs.

Post #3   8/7/09 4:04:32PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,958-1,117
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LOL... Strikeforce's title would mean nothing if Fedor wasn't given a shot right away.

Post #4   8/7/09 6:14:43PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
They should give him the shot. Nobody wants to see the fight get built up. I'm sure all the SF fans know about Overeem and Fedor has been makin huge headlines lately so I'm sure people that aren't hardcore MMA fans are starting to learn about him. I sat give him the shot in his debut.

Post #5   8/7/09 6:19:19PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
I think we're all missing the main point here. Do you think people who don't know who Fedor is really give a **** who is fighting for the Strikeforce title? If you're such a casual fan that you don't know who the best fighter in the world is than you either A.) aren't watching Strikeforce, or B.) have such little knowledge of MMA that you'll be willing to swallow whatever the announcers tell you during the event.

It's an invented problem. Real fans know that putting a belt on somebody and having them fight Fedor doesn't make them legitmate top flight competition. He didn't secure his place as the best by coming to the UFC and beating the best so what difference does it make what B level fighter he fights first in Strikeforce? You either don't know enough to care or you know enough to not care. Either way, say it with me now, Who cares?

Post #6   8/7/09 9:53:53PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Why does Scott Coker keep saying, "let's put our champ against M-1's champ." ? Fedor has never fought for M-1. They only have him signed to a three fight deal to, for an organization he'll probably never fight for, so they can double dip and co-promote. I would think Scott would haver the smarts to see that, but hey just like the old saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Anyways, I don't want to beat the proverbial "dead horse"--sooo moving on...

Overeem should be interesting, although I'm not entirely sold on his transformation to world beater. It's a better matchup than Rogers and Werdum though. Can Alistair actually get healthy though. It's been like two years since he fought for Strikeforce.

Post #7   8/7/09 10:09:34PM   

Shadymlm

MMA Regular

Shadymlm Avatar

Career:27-16
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars I didnt want to see the fight built up. I mean if fedor came to the UFC, wouldnt he have gotten an immediate title shot. But I could see where SF is coming from, considering people in the states may not know much about Overeem or Fedor or just general MMA fans.
UFC said Fearful, oops I mean Fedor would get an immediate title shot.

Post #8   8/8/09 2:07:08AM