Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC president Dana White dishes insults, takes aim at rival "Strike-farce"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
PHILADELPHIA - It appears the friendly rivalry between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Strikeforce is no more.

Although Dana White previously had been complimentary of Strikeforce and its co-founder and president, Scott Coker, the UFC president today referred to the organization as "Strike-farce" and hinted that counter-programming and public criticism – often-used weapons with former rivals such as EliteXC and Affliction – could be on the way.

STORY

Post #1   8/7/09 8:24:52AM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Oh wow i did not expect this from Dana
Eitherway i think its the beginning of the end for Strikeforce unfortunately. I hate agreeing with Dana but he's right when he says their champions haven't defended their titles in ages, it makes a mockery out of their belts and in my eyes the belts are worthless especially Overeem and Cung's,

Post #2   8/7/09 9:16:34AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
It was bound to happen. This is what happens when another org. falls into Dana's cross hairs. Its all about business.

Post #3   8/7/09 9:29:46AM   

loffspring

Learning to Sprawl

loffspring Avatar

Career:623-343
Chips:
I like that Strikeforce is stepping up. Competition is good for the fighters and the sport I think but it's frustrating when top fighters can't face each other.

Post #4   8/7/09 12:47:01PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Dana sure is upset that he did not sign a supposedly scared fighter.

Post #5   8/7/09 2:46:56PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,323-880
Chips:
Dunno why Dana has to resort to talking like a school kid when he refers to his competitors - it's a bit embarrassing and sad tbh.

Not sure what folk is America think of his swearing either, over here in Scotland, it's like a sport, almost an art form really - we're famed for it - yet Dana could easily out-swear even the most drunken Glaswegian.

Post #6   8/7/09 3:11:44PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
This is why I hate Dana white.

Post #7   8/7/09 3:22:02PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
Is anyone really surprised? Wherever Fedor's going in the future, whatever mma organization starts to look like they're gonna step up against the UFC...this is what's gonna happen.

Post #8   8/7/09 3:29:19PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dana (like him or not) knows what he is talking about unfortunately. I like the talent Strikeforce has recently signed but if they don't start putting some good cards together and try to depend on just Fedor then they will most likely fall. Affliction is a perfect example. I think that Strikeforce would do good to keep signing good fighters (Robbie Lawler comes to mind) and produce a stacked card very soon. Preferably not on the same night as a UFC event. Besides competition is very healthy for all businesses, especially in sports.

Post #9   8/7/09 4:02:20PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Strikeforce is going to get crushed by the combination of Fedor's salary and the UFC's counter-programming and superior marketing power. Seems hard to believe they are going to turn a profit, especially if they try to put on PPVs.

Post #10   8/7/09 5:19:58PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by moob

Dunno why Dana has to resort to talking like a school kid when he refers to his competitors - it's a bit embarrassing and sad tbh.

Not sure what folk is America think of his swearing either, over here in Scotland, it's like a sport, almost an art form really - we're famed for it - yet Dana could easily out-swear even the most drunken Glaswegian.

At this point I am sick of Dana's mouth and his burning of bridges, period. I could care less about the swearing its a moot point. Dana is in a serious need of an attitude adjustment.

Post #11   8/7/09 5:24:49PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
strikeforce has put on some decent shows but i've been saying for awhile they need to start forcing their champions to defend belts or drop them. they are making a joke of themselves.

Dana should just step back and let them shoot themselves in the foot.

Post #12   8/7/09 5:50:06PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by moob

At this point I am sick of Dana's mouth and his burning of bridges, period. I could care less about the swearing its a moot point. Dana is in a serious need of an attitude adjustment.

What bridges has he burned? He talked loads of crap about Affliction but they are working together once again. It's all business with a lot of passion involved.

Post #13   8/8/09 12:29:22AM   

Schizoidman

MMA Regular

Schizoidman Avatar

Career:94-60
Chips:
I don't really think competition is all that great for sports. What major american sport has competing promotions and is successful? and don't say boxing. NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, MLB, none of these great sports organizations have a competing league or promotion. UFC is just trying to put their product on the same plain. Only when all the greatest fighters are under the same promotion will the sport be truly at its best. Even then, Fedor will probably choose to fight in some AAA level promotion. I think what Dana and the UFC are doing is much better for the sport.

Post #14   8/8/09 5:23:10PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Schizoidman

I don't really think competition is all that great for sports. What major american sport has competing promotions and is successful? and don't say boxing. NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, MLB, none of these great sports organizations have a competing league or promotion. UFC is just trying to put their product on the same plain. Only when all the greatest fighters are under the same promotion will the sport be truly at its best. Even then, Fedor will probably choose to fight in some AAA level promotion. I think what Dana and the UFC are doing is much better for the sport.

Well if a player in the NFL doesn't like his teams contract offer he can go to a different team, what does an MMA fighter do when he doesn't like the UFC's? He's fudged, he has no leverage, the UFC can do whatever they want. You can think the UFC is doing the best thing for the sport, but they don't give a ****, they're doing whats best for Zuffa. The UFC doesn't want Fedor for anything as nobel as doing whats right for the fans, they want him so they can market him as the best ever and make money off him. They don't care about anything but money. They'll throw anyone away once they stop making them money.

Post #15   8/8/09 7:36:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2