Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Joe Silva Talks Gegard Mousasi: "We Never Even Made an Offer to Mousasi"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
"Contrary to the claim made today by M-1 that Mousasi was on the phone during negotiations with Joe Silva for his services, Joe adamantly denies that is true. Had that been the case, there would have been no reason for Mousasi to call Joe to question Echteld’s claim of a $40,000/$40,000 offer from the UFC."

link

Post #1   8/7/09 12:41:26AM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
M-1 is so shady. The more info that comes out it becomes more and more obvious that they dont care about the best interest of their fighters and are only looking out for themselves. I would be so pissed if I were Gegard, he was probably so pumped to still be fighting Babalu that he didnt even question it.

Post #2   8/7/09 1:33:29AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,000-1,126
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
M-1

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   8/7/09 5:17:24AM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
Can Gegard sue his agent? Can he get out of his contract if they lied to him? i still want to see him fight babalu.

Post #4   8/7/09 6:35:45AM   

ohnougotme

BANNED

Career:18-10
Chips:
I think the ufc knows just how good Mousasi is,therefore they do not want another fighter who has no american name,or fights that have been seen by most fight fans in the us.Serious fight fans know him,they also know that he would be a threat right away.Mousasi vs Machida could be awesome.

Post #5   8/7/09 7:26:17AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Very strange dealings. It seems the UFC didnt want Mousasi at this time due to his involvement in the EA game. But the UFC assumed their new partnership with Affliction would keep Mousasi from being able to join Strikeforce since he had a contract with Affliction. Joe Silva says they made no offer because they knew they if they choose to use Mousasi then they would just pick up his Affliction contract which paid him over 100K.

But M-1 needed to FORCE Mousasi to sign with Strikeforce asap. Probley while they are getting free press over the Fedor debacle. SO they tell Mousasi the UFC offered a low ball figure to get him to sign with Strikeforce.

Atleast thats how i interpret it.

Post #6   8/7/09 9:24:05AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
From that article from other articles, all I can figure out is that Mousasi got signed before the collapse of affliction. If that is the case, then UFC sat too long. That said, however, we all need to remember that most likely a lot of these fighters will end up in the UFC. If Mousasi increases his profile, he may end up in the UFC anyway but with a greater following. He would be dangerous at Lt. Heavy and at Middleweight. Strikeforce also has Jacare who is really good too. I thought Jacare was doing a pretty good job against him early----------until he got KO'd...by an upkick.

Post #7   8/7/09 9:51:50AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Another thing to remember is that when it comes to the UFC and M-1 right now, the UFC is in an all out war to portray M-1 (rightfully or unrightfully) as a shady organization that lies, doesn't help their fighters, and is crazy. The UFC and Dana White have already made clear that they are never interested in just "doing business" but instead in annihiliating the competition through legal means and through political maneuvering and PR. Then, when the dust settles and the big bad bully on the block has beaten their opponent, they take the valuable scraps and walk away.

I'm not hating on the UFC---I watch and buy the PPV's. I'm stating a fact. Dana White aggressively goes after people not interested in furthering the agenda of the UFC, whether it be TIto, Randy, Fitch, Fedor, M-1, Affliction, Tom Atencio personally, etc.... And until those guys come in the "fold" so to speak he will chop away. When they are on his side with his agenda, they are superstars again and they use the "machine" to build up the name again. And Dana says, "I was just talking....just business, etc.."

Post #8   8/7/09 9:57:18AM   

Art_Jimmerson

BANNED

Art_Jimmerson Avatar

Career:17-14
Chips:
This is exactly the same thing that's happening with Fedor, only there's no way Fedor would be allowed to ring Joe Silva.

Last edited 8/7/09 10:01AM server time by Art_Jimmerson
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   8/7/09 10:00:57AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

ohnougotme I think the ufc knows just how good Mousasi is,therefore they do not want another fighter who has no american name,or fights that have been seen by most fight fans in the us.Serious fight fans know him,they also know that he would be a threat right away.Mousasi vs Machida could be awesome.

Why do u think that mousasi could even compete with machida? Mousasi isnt even a real 205er and machida is the 205 lbs ufc champ who looks unbeatable. what advantage do u think mousasi would have? striking? no.
wrestling? no. bjj? no. I see no way that mousasi wins this fight

Post #10   8/7/09 11:59:37AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
This is disgusting.

To think Fedor owns a part of this business...

The sooner m-1 dies the better MMA will be.

Same as Elite XC.

Sad that an MMA org dies becoz its less MMA to watch but its better to have quality and a sport we can be proud of than just more fights, they'll always be fights somewhere but I'd rather not have a bunch of sleeze bags making money off it, not like this.

Post #11   8/7/09 12:19:14PM   

Chrrowley

Learning to Sprawl

Chrrowley Avatar

Career:447-284
Chips:
Machida would tear him to shreads.

Post #12   8/7/09 12:54:54PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,418-775
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think some people are reading this wrong. This is very clear.....What it saying is after the fall of affliction the UFC picked up Mousasi contract with bunch of other Affliction fighters and the UFC was ready to honor his affliction contract. But his manager M-1 said the UFC low balled him with a 40k/40k contract so he should sign with StrikeForce and take their offer. The fact is that wasn't the case at all so no matter if the UFC didn't offer anything to Mousasi means his manager flat out lied to his client to get him to sign. This isn't really shocking at all as most of us already knew that M-1 was shady and cared more about themselves than they did there fighters. I think that should have been very clear when Fedor's own brother said they were using Fedor. Fedor's brother has worked with these guys before and knows more about whats going on than any of us. So is anyone really shocked when they do the same thing to one of their other fighters. Doesn't matter if the UFC didn't make an offer they told their client they did. I bet you anything they lied to Fedor as well about the UFC's offer. I also bet co-promotion is part of Mousasi contract as well.

Last edited 8/7/09 2:32PM server time by telnights
2 total post edits

Post #13   8/7/09 2:17:20PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
This is third hand information coming from a conversation between Joe Silva and a guy who doesn't speak English as a first language. You make it sound like Apy told Gegard that there was a definite offer on the table from the UFC, but he could easily have just told him that this is what he heard from his "UFC source".

You are citing Joe Silva as if he was an infallible source, but even he is working on second hand information about a conversation that took place in Dutch while he wasn't there. I am not suggesting for a moment that Joe is lying, he's a nice guy and as far as I know honest to a fault. But this is more he said, she said stuff and doesn't clear anything up.

This situation can be twisted in a number of directions. For example, the UFC are saying that they would have honored his Affliction contract. Well, the guy next to me says that he would have doubled it just to watch Gegard wash his dishes after a nice meal.He can't now, he's under contract with Strike Force, but he would have.

(Props to droc as he said it better then i could .)

EDIT: the source (cindy O) claimed the ufc made mousasi an offer for 125,000 and that echteld lied

Joe silva then said THEY WOULD HAVE offered 125,000 But did not ( contract with dream would have something to do with it )

Last edited 8/7/09 6:44PM server time by andersondasilva
2 total post edits

Post #14   8/7/09 6:24:08PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,542-1,345
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't see why they wouldn't but with dream rights, he ain't a free agent just yet

Post #15   8/8/09 2:33:01AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2